Recent

Author Topic: Newcomer seeks hobby!  (Read 1915 times)

sl23

Newcomer seeks hobby!
« on: April 20, 2021, 07:13:03 pm »
Hi, I've wanted to get into programming for years, but the online guides aren't always clear. I tried HTML, but without a project to get stuck into, I lose interest fast!

I've been a big fan of CubicExplorer the file manager for over 13 years, but it ceased development in Nov 2011. As it was built with Delphi and the developer, Marko, released the source code, I was wondering about the possibility of using this as my project in Lazarus. Can it be done? Is this a bad idea starting with something so complex? I don't mind diving in the deep end, I just need a reason to learn!

Thanks for your help.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Newcomer seeks hobby!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:29 pm »
Hello sl23,
Welcome to the forum.

Can it be done?
Yes, of course it can be done using Lazarus. But Lazarus cannot use Delphi code directly, some code modifications are needed.

If you lose interest fast, just to warn you. Sorry, if this is discouraging. To be able to write good programs, you have to spend a lot of time to learn programming. Not just days or weeks. It can be years. Patience and efforts are needed.

dseligo

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:41 pm »
If you lose interest fast, just to warn you. Sorry, if this is discouraging. To be able to write good programs, you have to spend a lot of time to learn programming. Not just days or weeks. It can be years. Patience and efforts are needed.

To OP: But if (or when) you get stuck, you'll get plenty of help on the forum.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:34:46 pm »

It can be your entire life programming, like a lot of users on this forum (I'm programming since 2007, and really now I feel confident doing it, still I have a lot to learn). Always there is something new to learn.

CM630

• Не съм сигурен, че те разбирам.
    • http://sourceforge.net/u/cm630/profile/
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 04:04:14 pm »
For some reason most (if not all) decent file managers are written in Pascal: TotalCommander, FreeCommander, Double Commander.
Double Commander is written in Lazarus and is open source, but contributing to it will be hard for a beginner, even getting it compiled is not so trivial.
But please try, it needs to be improved!
Лазар 3,2 32 bit (sometimes 64 bit); FPC3,2,2; rev: Lazarus_3_0 on Win10 64bit.

sl23

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:58:34 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

Can it be done?
Yes, of course it can be done using Lazarus. But Lazarus cannot use Delphi code directly, some code modifications are needed.
Patience and efforts are needed.
Superb! Not an easy task for a beginner no doubt!

Patience isn't the problem, I need a focus for my efforts. Without a reason to learn, something to practice on, the motivation dwindles.

But if (or when) you get stuck, you'll get plenty of help on the forum.
Definitely when!  :D  And thanks, I'm going to need plenties!

It can be your entire life programming...
Understood. Hopefully this is something I can get stuck into.

For some reason most (if not all) decent file managers are written in Pascal: TotalCommander, FreeCommander, Double Commander.
Double Commander is written in Lazarus and is open source, but contributing to it will be hard for a beginner, even getting it compiled is not so trivial.
But please try, it needs to be improved!
I've tried every known old and new file manager that I have managed to find, all have bugs, quirks, issues that need sorting.
File commanders aren't my cup of tea really. I prefer the traditional file manager, but with some features that are hard to find that are quite simple in practise but few managers actually employ.

The best in my opinion for what I want are obviously Cubic as the top choice, then XYplorer, Tablacus and Q-Dir. My needs in this area are quite basic compared to the features offered by most explorers, but some features I've gotso used to it's hard to part with them, hence I am still using Cubic that's 10 years out of date!

My hope is to fix bugs, add some features and maybe, if possible create a 64bit version. Though many components are 32bit only and older than Cubic, so these may need to be written from scratch.

sl23

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:09:04 pm »
Could someone please tell me if Lazarus is fully portable and does it contain everything I need?
Or are there other things required? For example, is Pascal an integral part of the Lazarus app or is it a separate download?

Thanks

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 08:46:26 pm »
The Free Pascal Compiler comes with the Lazarus Windows installer. Did you try it already?
In other operating systems there is a dependency between the installation packages and installing Lazarus typically pulls in FPC, too.
In general this tool chain has only few external dependencies. Easy to get started.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

wp

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 10:09:55 pm »
Is this a bad idea starting with something so complex? I don't mind diving in the deep end, I just need a reason to learn!
I highly recommend not to start this way, you will be disappointed after a very short time and give up. Converting from Delphi can be extremely complex, and I think that a file manager belongs to this class of applications.

If I were you I'd take much smaller steps. In Lazarus, for example, there is a TShellTreeView and a TShellListview - they resemble the tree and file list parts of a usual file explorer. Try to put these two components together and create a super-simple mini file-explorer which just displays the folder hierarchy and the files and folders. This will give you a feeling of the Lazarus way of creating an application. When this is working you can take the next piece of the file explorer that you have in mind and try to add it to your mini project. If you take too large steps you will stumble...

sl23

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:33 am »
I see your point. I may still try and when I give up I'll do it your way lol

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 03:21:31 pm »
I see your point. I may still try and when I give up I'll do it your way lol

Like today =)

Really I'm programming more than 10 years and that will be complex to do for me as well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018