Recent

Author Topic: Unfolding bug after searching  (Read 5784 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Unfolding bug after searching
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 03:26:25 am »
Why the same time? The idea is to click on the [ +/- ] icon of e.g. an except block and then get the context menu to un/fold all except blocks.
+1

Concerning the fold all feature I only don't understand why there is a shortcut for this but no menu entry. I had to google around if and how this is possible and I think it would be nice when users can find this on their own in one of the menu.
<slight sarcasm on>
Well, good question. Unfortunately I do not remember why. It is 12 Years 9 Month and 11 days since it was added. :) :)

Based on https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12561
https://github.com/User4martin/lazarus/commit/94c21c4c3ebbb024386ac9946ac5dc21d136f8c4
https://github.com/User4martin/lazarus/commit/7d80cf42dfbb5dd9658d32076c6bc7703eb24343
<slight sarcasm off>

Back then the fold gutter did not have a context menu, nor was there a concept of different context menus depending on where you clicked in the editor.
As for the main menu, I don't recall, maybe I was to lazy, maybe it did not occur to me, or I thought it would be overkill.

I agree its not easy to find. But if I would add it now, I would go with something along your idea. "all procedures" instead of "level x".
The "level x" always had the issue that to fold procedures you need "level n" (depending on your settings), but then in the interface type section, that had to match "class" level, so You need to enable/disable the correct options. Maybe the correct settings are default now, don't know. I haven't used this in a while.

Yes, I guess the only way to find them are searching the keymap... Maybe the wiki could do with a page showcasing all the fold features.

And, oh wait... There is a recent new Package: IdeScout. Which allows you do search for features. Install, open, and search for "fold".

However, I don't insist on anything, just making proposal. I am a happy user of Laz 2.1 and hope to get a final release of it soon. I am an OpenSource developer too in another project (Qt/C++ however) and know that the spare time is limited.
This way thanks for all you great work. I mean I reported the last days several issues and all have al ready been fixed. This is really amazing!

As I said, you can make a feature request.
Though it wont make to much of a difference, if and when I find the time to work on folding again, I might add something anyway... But there are other fish to fry...

Btw, I'm absolutely happy to hear your ideas (and that the feature is useful to you, always nice to know).

Anyway, you've seen I posted where to find the code. So maybe some one finds this, and wants to pick it up.

Muso

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 04:27:41 pm »
I agree its not easy to find. But if I would add it now, I would go with something along your idea. "all procedures" instead of "level x".

+1

And, oh wait... There is a recent new Package: IdeScout. Which allows you do search for features. Install, open, and search for "fold".

I cannot find it in the online package manager. I found it however, in the list of available but not installed packages.
Now I cannot find docs on how to use the package. How can I set now the fold properties?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 04:43:31 pm »
IdeScout: The package is not fold specific. Its an "help me find a feature". (Sorry did not want to get your hopes up)

It has one key shortcut ( I have it on alt-shift-p / but I may have changed it from the original)
It opens a window, with a search field, and it shows you relevant IDE functions, of which you can select one to act.

So it's key board driven. It does not solve your quest for a mouse driven option. But it can help find the keyboard combo for those commands, as they show up in the list.

Of course for now, it just moves the issue of finding functions. You have to find IDE scout first.

Maybe someone has an animated paper clip icon, and it can be added to some toolbar...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:47:27 pm by Martin_fr »

Muso

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 04:53:19 pm »
It has one key shortcut ( I have it on alt-shift-p / but I may have changed it from the original)

Oh, oh! Why do you (meaning the developer community) hide all these cool features? Lazarus should by default have this search feature.
So can you (meaning the developer who is responsible) please integrate this package fully into Laz in the way that
- it is by default installed
- it appears as menu Tools -> "Find feature within Lazarus"

Then every user can just use this menu item to quickly find the different features. Especially IDE newbies like me need this and as a newbie you would never come to the idea that you first need to install a package, finding out what package and then that it can only be accessed using a shortcut.
Searching a program's feature is quite essential and very helpful.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 01:02:57 pm »
Just a note, I mailed it to the team. No takers so far.
I still don't have the time myself either.

Best to add a feature request on Mantis.

Muso

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 10:59:00 pm »
Best to add a feature request on Mantis.

Thanks. I created now this issue in Mantis:
https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=38873

TinyPortal © 2005-2018