Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

[Solved] Can't install trunk version of FPC and Lazarus. Need help

<< < (2/3) > >>

GetMem:

--- Quote from: madref on April 19, 2021, 06:04:43 pm ---That did the trick.

But what is the difference between trunk and trunk.git?

--- End quote ---
Starting with MacOS Big Sur, subversion(svn) is removed from the command line tools. AFAIK you can still install it via MacPorts or HomeBrew. 
You have two choices:
1. Brew install svn
2. Use the more popular version control git, luckily FpcUpDeluxe supports it

From the user perspective there is no difference between trunk(svn) and trunk(git). Perhaps git is faster on slow connections.

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: GetMem on April 20, 2021, 06:17:33 am ---From the user perspective there is no difference between trunk(svn) and trunk(git). Perhaps git is faster on slow connections.

--- End quote ---

Trunk from SVN is the official repository, Trunk from Git is an unofficial mirror of that SVN repository. It's synced only every 15 minutes or so, thus if you need a specific fix that was committed 5 minutes ago you might need to wait a bit longer for the fix to appear in the Git mirror.

GetMem:
@PascalDragon

--- Quote ---Trunk from SVN is the official repository, Trunk from Git is an unofficial mirror of that SVN repository. It's synced only every 15 minutes or so, thus if you need a specific fix that was committed 5 minutes ago you might need to wait a bit longer for the fix to appear in the Git mirror.
--- End quote ---

Thanks! 15 minutes lag can indeed be a problem in some cases. If I'm not mistaken, the FPC team planned to switch to git at some point? I prefer svn though.

madref:
Thanks for the explanation  !!!

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: GetMem on April 20, 2021, 09:31:19 am ---@PascalDragon
If I'm not mistaken, the FPC team planned to switch to git at some point?

--- End quote ---

Hope not. "Fixed from revision 12345 onwards" is an unambiguous statement with- AIUI- no easy equivalent in Gitspeak.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version