Recent

Author Topic: Rich text viewer  (Read 2499 times)

petevick

Rich text viewer
« on: February 28, 2022, 01:39:31 pm »
I want to display a Rich Text File. From an online search I'm lead to believe that either LazRichView or RichMemo will do the trick. I've tried installing RichMemo but it will not install, just a 'cannot install package' message. LazRichView did install, but for the life of me I cannot find any method to load/read an external file. I've found reference to the Delphi version which has a LoadRTF method, but that does not exist for Lazarus.
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Windows 10, Lazarus 3.2, FPC 3.2.2

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
Re: Rich text viewer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 01:43:52 pm »

petevick

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 10:34:21 am »
Related forum part
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/board,71.0.html
thanks for the reply, but my question related to the LazRichView component and specifically how to load an rtf file into it.
Pete Vickerstaff

wp

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 11:44:00 am »
I've tried installing RichMemo but it will not install, just a 'cannot install package' message.
Just tried this a few days ago and it worked flawlessly (Laz 2.2.0/FPC 3.2.2, RichMemo from OPM). Maybe I should draw your attention to the fact that RichMemo comes in two packages. The richmemopackage.lpk is the run-time package and cannot be installed. In the subfolder "ide" you find the richmemo_design.lpk designtime package - this is the one which must be installed. When you install the package from OPM (which may be a bit out-dated in comparison with the author's development version on github, though) you need not care about such details.

LazRichView did install, but for the life of me I cannot find any method to load/read an external file. I've found reference to the Delphi version which has a LoadRTF method, but that does not exist for Lazarus.
I seems you are right - I cannot find something like LoadFromFile either.

balazsszekely

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 11:53:16 am »
IIRC there is a LoadRichText, or something similar:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. var
  2.   FS: TFileStream;
  3. begin
  4.   FS := TFileStream.Create(PathToRTf, fmOpenRead or fmShareDenyNone);
  5.   try
  6.     RichMemo1.LoadRichText(FS);
  7.   finally
  8.     FS.Free
  9.   end;
  10. end;

wp

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 12:06:30 pm »
Yes, for RichMemo, but AFAICS not for RichView.

petevick

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 12:26:16 pm »
Just tried this a few days ago and it worked flawlessly (Laz 2.2.0/FPC 3.2.2, RichMemo from OPM). Maybe I should draw your attention to the fact that RichMemo comes in two packages. The richmemopackage.lpk is the run-time package and cannot be installed. In the subfolder "ide" you find the richmemo_design.lpk designtime package - this is the one which must be installed. When you install the package from OPM (which may be a bit out-dated in comparison with the author's development version on github, though) you need not care about such details.
I was installing it from the OPM, but both lpk packages give a "Cannot compile package" error, and like yourself I'm using Laz 2.2.0 and FPC 3.2.2.  :(
Pete Vickerstaff

wp

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 01:38:25 pm »
I should read your signature. I am on Windows, you are on Linux...

Tried the same on Linux Mint 10.2 and confirm the issue now. I also tried the version on the author's github - same issue.

Since the non-compiling line is inside an {$IFDEF} I looked at the package options and found the define RMLCLTRUNK which is not active. After activating it I could compile both packages on Mint.

So, these are the steps how you could make it work for yourself:
  • Open the richmemopackage.lpk in Lazarus ("Package" > "Open Package File")
  • Select "Options" > "Compiler Options" > "Custom Options". Click "Defines..." and check the item RMLCLTRUNK in the checklistbox > "OK"
  • Now you should be able to compile the richmemopackage.lpk.
  • Finally load richmemo_design.lpk and install it (click "Use" > "Install")

petevick

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 02:06:48 pm »
It all went well until this last step, I'm not sure how/where you would 'load' the lpk, but the "Install" option was greyed out. I did manage to install it though via Package>Install/Uninstall packages.

That's brilliant work wp, thank you for that  ;D
Pete Vickerstaff

petevick

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 04:37:20 pm »
and as if by magic, I came across this in the wiki - https://wiki.freepascal.org/File:rmlcltrunkdefine.png
Pete Vickerstaff

wp

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 04:38:59 pm »
It all went well until this last step, I'm not sure how/where you would 'load' the lpk
Well, maybe my description was too short here. Go to "Package" > "Open Package file". Navigate to the subfolder "ide" of the folder into which you had unzipped the RichMemo download. Select the file richmemo_design.lpk which must exist in this folder. Although not needed, it may be a good idea to check whether the design-time package compiles: Click "Compile". When ok, click on "Use" > "Install" finally.

wp

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 04:40:41 pm »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018