Forum > Other

Question about FPC and licensing

<< < (2/3) > >>

440bx:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 01:03:48 pm ---Still one question though: What added value do you consider having a bundled compiler over just pointing at one in a config file?

--- End quote ---
Personally, I like turnkey solutions.  The more things a program depends on, the greater the likelyhood that something is going to go wrong.  If the program has no external dependencies, the more likely it is that it will operate reliably (reliability is very important.)

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 01:03:48 pm ---In my humble opinion, I see this as re-inventing the wheel. So I ask again: What value are you adding that a simple config pointing to lazbuild wouldn't cover?

--- End quote ---
As stated above, I want the utility to be fully self contained (or at least, as close as reasonably possible.) If that requires more work, I have no problem with that.

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 01:03:48 pm ---And I want to make this clear: I'm not trying to bring you down, I really am not.
It's just plain curiosity on your vision of the tool.

--- End quote ---
Don't worry about it.  Questions are good, makes me think about what has to be done and taken into consideration.

marcov:
Strictly speaking, it depends on if the embedding is seen as a linking step. The compiler's license (GPL) talks about that.

I think it can be seen like that, so yes, that makes the combination subject to GPL.

But maybe there is some exception in the GPL details that I don't know about. But e.g. resources are not really a *nix concept, so I doubt it.

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 12:24:36 pm ---The other question is related to the exe sizes of ppc386.exe and ppcrossx64.exe.  together they weigh about 4.5 megabytes and, I was wondering if there are "Windows only" versions of them that are smaller ?  if the answer is "yes" where can I find them ?
--- End quote ---

There is no "Window only". Any compiler binary can generate code for any target that the compiler supports for its current processor architecture. And even if there were such: the part that is OS-specific inside the compiler is relatively small compared to the parser and the code generator.

440bx:

--- Quote from: marcov on April 15, 2021, 01:17:37 pm ---Strictly speaking, it depends on if the embedding is seen as a linking step. The compiler's license (GPL) talks about that.

I think it can be seen like that, so yes, that makes the combination subject to GPL.

But maybe there is some exception in the GPL details that I don't know about. But e.g. resources are not really a *nix concept, so I doubt it.

--- End quote ---
Is it the case that using a GPL'd library requires publishing the source of the application that uses it ?

--- Quote from: PascalDragon on April 15, 2021, 01:21:38 pm ---There is no "Window only". Any compiler binary can generate code for any target that the compiler supports for its current processor architecture. And even if there were such: the part that is OS-specific inside the compiler is relatively small compared to the parser and the code generator.

--- End quote ---
Fair enough.  Thank you for providing that information.

marcov:

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 01:29:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: marcov on April 15, 2021, 01:17:37 pm ---Strictly speaking, it depends on if the embedding is seen as a linking step. The compiler's license (GPL) talks about that.

--- End quote ---
Is it the case that using a GPL'd library requires publishing the source of the application that uses it ?

--- End quote ---

Yes, that is true, but there is one important exception, if the library comes with the OS. (the exact definition of "OS" is complex here, e.g. do linux packaging systems count?). So you can link to Linux GPL glibc without problems.

Note that the library case is dynamic linking, and the binary-into-exe is a form of static linking, so those two are not entirely the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version