Forum > Other

Question about FPC and licensing

<< < (3/3)

ASBzone:

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 12:24:36 pm ---That brings up a licensing concern.  Specifically, the utility would have a copy of ppc386.exe and ppcrossx64.exe embedded as binary resources (untouched, exactly as they appeared in the FPC distribution, i.e, no customization of any kind in the source code nor the embedded binary.)  My first question is: would embedding those untouched, binary-only copies of FPC legally require that I make the utility's source code available ?  (I would definitely prefer not)

--- End quote ---

Hey, @44bx:

You didn't mention if you had seen the following, but I think it is instructive as per your plans here:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/licensing

Particularly the section entitled "Licensing relating to FPC (the compiler)/Lazarus program (IDE) itself"

This line would seem to suggest that you should only call, rather than embed (unchanged or not), the compiler, in order to avoid GPL implications such as releasing your source:

So in short the GPL only applies if you try to integrate a core FPC binary (fpc.exe, ppudump.exe etc) into your application. Not if you merely call it. There is one unpleasant side detail though, see the Lazarus licensing section."

But, in my view, it does appear to make it clear that if you only called the executables in your program, no source would need to be provided at all.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey 440bx,

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 01:16:46 pm ---Personally, I like turnkey solutions.  The more things a program depends on, the greater the likelyhood that something is going to go wrong.  If the program has no external dependencies, the more likely it is that it will operate reliably (reliability is very important.)

--- End quote ---

That's a rather valid point and I'm now satisfied on your vision. So please plod on :)

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 01:16:46 pm ---Don't worry about it.  Questions are good, makes me think about what has to be done and taken into consideration.

--- End quote ---

Uuufff, thank you for understanding!!
As you may have noticed, I sometimes mess up my wording and it appears that I'm just dissing people.
I'm glad you got it :)

Cheers,
Gus

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey 440bx,

After reading the answers on the licensing, I feel that your turnkey approach is gonna be hampered.

I would love to have such a tool available, mainly due to the batch processing and the problems you would need to solve.
Even if I couldn't study the source. Just having the possibility would be ace!

And it seems my suggestion of not bundling the compiler would be more suitable for your closed source needs...

Cheers,
Gus

440bx:

--- Quote from: ASBzone on April 15, 2021, 05:16:10 pm ---You didn't mention if you had seen the following, but I think it is instructive as per your plans here:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/licensing

Particularly the section entitled "Licensing relating to FPC (the compiler)/Lazarus program (IDE) itself"

This line would seem to suggest that you should only call, rather than embed (unchanged or not), the compiler, in order to avoid GPL implications such as releasing your source:

So in short the GPL only applies if you try to integrate a core FPC binary (fpc.exe, ppudump.exe etc) into your application. Not if you merely call it. There is one unpleasant side detail though, see the Lazarus licensing section."

But, in my view, it does appear to make it clear that if you only called the executables in your program, no source would need to be provided at all.

--- End quote ---
I hadn't seen that but, this discussion has made it clear that the method I used for Delphi 2 is "questionable" as far as the GPL goes. 

Because of that, I'm going to play it safe and use a different method that doesn't run afoul of the GPL.  It will be a little more work but, it looks like it's worth it.  Keep my nose clean. :)

Thank you for pointing those things out.

ASBzone:

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 16, 2021, 01:28:24 am ---I hadn't seen that but, this discussion has made it clear that the method I used for Delphi 2 is "questionable" as far as the GPL goes. 

Because of that, I'm going to play it safe and use a different method that doesn't run afoul of the GPL.  It will be a little more work but, it looks like it's worth it.  Keep my nose clean. :)

Thank you for pointing those things out.

--- End quote ---

You are most welcome.  Clean is definitely better here. 

I'm glad I could assist.  (I'm usually on the receiving side)  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version