Forum > Other

Question about FPC and licensing

(1/3) > >>

440bx:
Hello,

Actually, I have a number of questions.  I believe that a little background will be helpful to understand the nature of the questions and what I'm thinking of doing.

Long ago (Win95 era) I wrote a little utility for myself to make Delphi 2 compile hundreds of programs (close to a thousand) just by dragging and dropping the "root" directory that contained all the programs each in their own subdirectory.  The utility simply walks the directories and does a full build of the program found in each directory.  Aside from the convenience of a single drag n drop operation to compile a large number of programs, the utility made compiling about twice as fast as it would normally be.  On an ancient machine (if memory serves, Celeron at 800 Mhz), that utility got Delphi 2 to compile a little over 10,000 lines per second, which is very useful when there are so many programs to compile/recompile.

One of the utility's characteristics is that it included a copy of Delphi 2 as a binary resource.  That way it was self contained.  Since it was (and still is) strictly for personal use, i.e, never distributed, that was not a problem.

The reason for this post is that I am considering creating a version of that utility for FPC and, I am also considering making the utility available to anyone who could benefit from it.

That brings up a licensing concern.  Specifically, the utility would have a copy of ppc386.exe and ppcrossx64.exe embedded as binary resources (untouched, exactly as they appeared in the FPC distribution, i.e, no customization of any kind in the source code nor the embedded binary.)  My first question is: would embedding those untouched, binary-only copies of FPC legally require that I make the utility's source code available ?  (I would definitely prefer not)

The other question is related to the exe sizes of ppc386.exe and ppcrossx64.exe.  together they weigh about 4.5 megabytes and, I was wondering if there are "Windows only" versions of them that are smaller ?  if the answer is "yes" where can I find them ?

Any and all information concerning the above is appreciated,

Thank you for your help.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey 440bx,

This may be a dumb question for lack of not knowing the big image and all that, but doesn't the compiler need the source files of the FLC,LCL, etc?
If you only bundle app and compiler, how are you gonna solve the issue of the missing source or *.ppu?
And if you encounter an *.lpi, wouldn't it make more sense to lazbuild it?

I'm sorry, it can be sleep deprivation induced, but this baffles me.

Cheers,
Gus

Thaddy:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 12:37:55 pm ---This may be a dumb question for lack of not knowing the big image and all that, but doesn't the compiler need the source files of the FLC,LCL, etc?
If you only bundle app and compiler, how are you gonna solve the issue of the missing source or *.ppu
--- End quote ---
No, the compiler itself does not need any LCL files, only the rtl.

440bx:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 12:37:55 pm ---doesn't the compiler need the source files of the FLC,LCL, etc?

--- End quote ---
It needs access to the compiled units that are not part of the project being compiled, e.g, Windows, Messages, etc.  That's not a problem, a configuration file takes care of that.

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 12:37:55 pm ---If you only bundle app and compiler, how are you gonna solve the issue of the missing source or *.ppu?

--- End quote ---
The compiler needs access to the .ppu of used units but not their source.  The location of .ppu/units can be configured.

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 12:37:55 pm ---And if you encounter an *.lpi, wouldn't it make more sense to lazbuild it?

--- End quote ---
the utility may have to parse .lpi and .lps files but, the utility can have its own global settings to apply to all the programs being recompiled. 

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on April 15, 2021, 12:37:55 pm ---I'm sorry, it can be sleep deprivation induced, but this baffles me.

--- End quote ---
It might be time for you to consider getting some sleep. ;)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey 440bx,

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 12:51:26 pm ---The compiler needs access to the .ppu of used units but not their source.  The location of .ppu/units can be configured.

--- End quote ---

Ahhh, this is beginning to make a lot more sense!!

Still one question though: What added value do you consider having a bundled compiler over just pointing at one in a config file?

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 12:51:26 pm ---the utility may have to parse .lpi and .lps files but, the utility can have its own global settings to apply to all the programs being recompiled.

--- End quote ---

In my humble opinion, I see this as re-inventing the wheel. So I ask again: What value are you adding that a simple config pointing to lazbuild wouldn't cover?

And I want to make this clear: I'm not trying to bring you down, I really am not.
It's just plain curiosity on your vision of the tool.

--- Quote from: 440bx on April 15, 2021, 12:51:26 pm ---It might be time for you to consider getting some sleep. ;)

--- End quote ---

You are absolutely right. But I'm fighting it like a petulant child that doesn't wanna go to bed ;)

Cheers,
Gus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version