Forum > General

Off Topic - Promises - Re: Would like feedback on my idea for a "fork" or "dist"

(1/3) > >>

ASBzone:

--- Quote from: Handoko on April 14, 2021, 03:44:47 pm ---I don't know how WordPress makes it happens, static or dynamic linking or whatever. Lots of theme designers and plugin writers are making good money working on WordPress. WordPress can install commercial closed source plugins/themes easily. If Lazarus can be linked or integrated or work together with commercial closed addons/plugins, it will be attractive to some skilled programmers who want to make money.

--- End quote ---

I don't want to drag this discussion too far afield, but Lazarus and Wordpress can't really be compared like this, as they serve two entirely different target markets.

Wordpress serves a market of people who want to host their own website, using a platform that supports extensions and plugins.  Ignoring its competitors for a moment, this is a vast number of potential people.

Lazarus servers a market of people who want to use Free Pascal with a rapid application development environment.  Even ignoring every other language and IDE, this is a much smaller number of people.    And it's not clear what percentage of those people would be further interested in closed addons/plugins.

Is it a bad idea?  No.   But I have a hard time seeing the following as a statement that can be made definitively:

...it will be attractive to some skilled programmers who want to make money.

Who can attest to the size of the market that would pay for this now?   

At best, we can hope that there would be some attraction. If it was easy to implement either way, I would say, "sure, let's see someone take the time and go for it."    But I doubt it is that simple, and if it didn't come with some pre-built addons and plugins to show the viability, I don't see where the gravitational pull would come from.

I can see niche markets, though, like one that might cater to the OP's needs.   But I would be very careful at any over-exuberance in this regard.

[Edit for readability]

Martin_fr:
Afaik there are commercial 3rd party packages on the Market. Which would mean that already exists. (Not sure if that includes IDE extensions, but not impossible either)

Could it be made simpler? Sure everything can always be made simlper :P
(Actually, seriously there are things like dyn link pgk under way. But they take their time. Maybe not enough money to be made from them?)

As for "would attract more"...
If I had a penny for every time I heard that... So many people promised that for whatever they thought would be good to have...
But, then some of those requested things have actually happened, the promised effect on the other side, well that has never yet happened ever...

Martin_fr:
Topic was split off from https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,54063.msg401887.html#msg401887

ASBzone:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on April 14, 2021, 06:51:58 pm ---As for "would attract more"...
If I had a penny for every time I heard that... So many people promised that for whatever they thought would be good to have...
But, then some of those requested things have actually happened, the promised effect on the other side, well that has never yet happened ever...

--- End quote ---

That's because, as I am sure you well know, ecosystems like this are complex, and there are many factors that play into popularity, market stature, market perception, financial viability, etc.

Too many of these discussions tend to boil everything down to a *single* problem, that if solved, would unilaterally open the floodgates of increased attention and usage.   

That may be possible, but it is certainly not probable.  There are assuredly multiple factors involved in this issue, and that requires multiple approaches and tactics.

Frankly, a sustained marketing effort to deprogram folks from thinking of Pascal as some toy or learning-only language, would likely yield better results than almost any other single change or addition.   But for real effect, there would need to be a coordinated effort across multiple fronts, addressing perception, actual usability, economic opportunities, etc...

(BTW, let's just all agree that making Pascal *popular* by making it more like something else is not actually making Pascal popular, but simply creating a Pascal-flavored-something-else.  And that's not what I would ever want to see.)

marcov:

--- Quote from: ASBzone on April 14, 2021, 07:26:26 pm ---Too many of these discussions tend to boil everything down to a *single* problem, that if solved, would unilaterally open the floodgates of increased attention and usage.   

--- End quote ---

(in my mind I call this the "build it, and they will come" argument, after a "Married with Children" episode)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version