Recent

Author Topic: Trunk builds + pre-relesaes  (Read 2867 times)

Muso

Trunk builds + pre-relesaes
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:53:30 pm »
I see in the signature of user @trev that he is using Laz 2.1dev builds.

I want to try this out as well, test and feedback especially for the TCart component.
Can you please offer such builds too?

From my work for OpenSource projects I know how important it is that average users try our pre-releases to report bugs, so it would be good if you could promote the link to the pre-release binaries also at you main webpage in the download section:
https://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=downloads

Note, that the last mirror link in the downloads page is outdated since years and thus should be removed.

thanks and regards

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
Re: Trunk builds + pre-relesaes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 12:50:54 am »
Hey Muso,

Before the advent of fpcupdeluxe each of the more knowledgeable ones had, and still has, their own way to keep up with trunk.
They can give you other options that are not fpcudeluxe, since your tastes and my tastes may not coincide.

There was a recent thread about nigh builds, asking if the person responsible would come back, but I can't find the link right now.
@trev: Do you remember that one? Sorry for picking you to be my memory ;)

But ever since I found fpcudeluxe, when ever a I want to checkout the latest trunk code, I run it and on a push of a button it updates the code from SVN/GIT then compiles both FPC and Lazarus, and voila I have the latest all freshly baked and ready to use.
OR it all goes boom because that's how it goes in trunk land ;)

I'm guessing that if you want to have a go at it, you would have your answer to having the latest trunk version.

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:37:35 am »
The Wiki contains fairly comprehensive instructions for Installing Lazarus from source on FreeBSD, Haiku, Linux, macOS, Raspbian and Windows.

I believe the FreeBSD (up to version 11), macOS (10.4 through 11 including ARM64) and Windows are up to date as I maintain the first two and although I don't personally use Windows (I cross-compile on macOS to Windows), I recently overhauled the Windows instructions. I also know Dbannon has recently overhauled, and has been maintaining, the Linux instructions.

As for the snapshot servers, hope springs eternal that someone might one day resurrect that service -- I'm seriously considering setting up the automation to do it for macOS (Intel and ARM64) -- and the Wiki page makes that clear. Its existence is the reason why I'm considering setting up the macOS builds.

@Gus: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,27583.msg401470.html#msg401470
(The Forum search facility works ;))
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:48:18 am by trev »

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:56:40 am »
Hey Trev,

@Gus: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,27583.msg401470.html#msg401470

Thanks pal, you're a bloody Saint!!

(The Forum search facility works ;))

I know, I know, and I'm really ashamed I passed the hot tamale onto you. But I did apologise for making you my memory, didn't I? ;)
I owe you a beer, so put it on my tab. Or if you have an entry on one of those "pay me a koffee" sites, but for beer(Edit: good Aussie beer, that is), I'll drop some pennies there :)

Cheers,
Gus
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:21:27 am by Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno »

Muso

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:04:31 am »
They can give you other options that are not fpcudeluxe, since your tastes and my tastes may not coincide.

This is amazing and what I was looking for! Please advertise this at the Lazarus Webpage. This encourages a lot of users to try out Laz 2.1dev.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 02:18:41 am »
Hey Muso,

This is amazing and what I was looking for! Please advertise this at the Lazarus Webpage. This encourages a lot of users to try out Laz 2.1dev.

I'm glad you find it useful and you're quite welcome!!

Well, there are several places where @DonAlfredo has it advertised/mentioned:

And those are just 3 examples. I think there's more, but I already owe a beer to @trev and don't wanna bug him any more.
And if you search this forum for it, you'll find that, as of late, I've been advertising it constantly. I even joked that I need to get some money from @DonAlfredo for all the free pub ;)

Hope that clears it out.

Cheers,
Gus

DonAlfredo

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:19:54 am »
Thanks for all the free pub. I hope some free beer will pay for all efforts.
Fpcupdeluxe is just an install tool. The real power comes from FPC and Lazarus !!

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 07:35:43 am »
Hey DonAlfredo,

Thanks for all the free pub. I hope some free beer will pay for all efforts.

Baahhh, I don't want anything from you my dear friend. :-[  I'm quite happy to see your work thrive in the wild.
I like spreading the word and cracking some jokes, in the meantime, to not make it so serious ;)

I, personally, can't thank you enough for the good work you've been doing.
I just hope someone pays YOU a good amount of beer so you can keep doing it free of charge for the community.

Many thanks Don!!

Cheers,
Gus

Muso

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 07:31:17 pm »
Well, there are several places where @DonAlfredo has it advertised/mentioned:

That is not sufficient. Other projects like e.g. LibreOffice have a section in the download page to download pre-releases and this is where average users like me expect them to be listed. So please add this great installing tool there.
You cannot expect average users like me to search the forum if there is maybe a pre-release despite there is noch such listed in the downloads. It is simply not logical that it exists but is not listed as download possibility.

I would even promote fpcupdeluxe as regular installer for the non-standard OSes because I did not yet know that one can run Laz on a Rasberry Pi. This is so great to know and therefore fpcupdeluxe is such an important tool to widespread Lazarus.
Last but not least many users don't have admin permissions and one often cannot go to the admin and ask if he installs Lazarus on e.g. a business laptop. Now with fpcupdeluxe I and my colleagues are able to easily get a fully functional Lazarus without the need to explain anybody why we would like to use it or that we use it.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 09:35:21 pm »
Before the advent of fpcupdeluxe each of the more knowledgeable ones had, and still has, their own way to keep up with trunk.
The "knowledgeable ones" may run
 $ svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus
 $ cd lazarus
 $ make
 $ ./lazarus &
Later to update just run
 $ svn up
and rebuild Lazarus from its Tools menu. Doesn't get much easier.
Wiki pages are often bloated. This one is rather easy to read :
 https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Development_version_of_Lazarus

The question was about Lazarus development version. The above commands require FPC to be already installed, from a distro's repo or somehow.
Things are different if also FPC trunk or cross-compiler features are needed. Then fpcupdeluxe indeed is the best choice.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 06:34:00 am »
Hey Juha,

Things are different if also FPC trunk or cross-compiler features are needed. Then fpcupdeluxe indeed is the best choice.

I'm sorry, maybe it's my fault, but when I mentioned that the "more knowledgeable ones" have their own way, I meant:
The whole package of FPC(version)+Lazarus(version)+Cross(any amount of arch.).

For both FPC and Lazarus, while the simple svn co and make is enough for a single version single architecture, things get a bit more complicated when you need/want many versions in parallel and cross for each of these combinations.

So I was just mentioning that before fpcupdeluxe there was a way, yes, but it differed from person to person depending on individual tastes.

Case in point: MarkMLI described his own way, just a few days ago. And he had to do a purpose built script to aid him in that.

Cheers,
Gus

TinyPortal © 2005-2018