Recent

Author Topic: lzRichEdit  (Read 1440 times)

JSN

lzRichEdit
« on: April 11, 2021, 10:00:31 pm »
I am trying to Install the lzRichEdit component in Lazarus version 2.0.12 for Windows 10. Can someone help me understand why I get this error message when I try to edit the source code for the component and save it within Lazarus.

I can copy, edit, save and delete files from within Windows 10 File Explorer. Afterall, I own the computer. I should have complete permission to use my own computer, right?

I used to understand computers, I used to be able to do absolutely anything and everything I wanted to do with a computer.

It seems that is no longer the case.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
Re: lzRichEdit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:04:20 pm »
Hey JSN,

I haven't used Windows in a long time, but doesn't Windows have the ability to set a file/folder as read-only?

Could this be the case for some strange reason?

If not, just ignore me and I'll crawl back under the rock I just popped out :)

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:05:31 pm »
I had an issue once where it locked a file in the published folder of a project, I could not delete it.

I had to reboot the system..

I think windows was doing a file scan or something at the time and it locked the file.

do you have more than one instance of Lazarus running maybe ?
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:07:48 pm »
Hey Jamie,

do you have more than one instance of Lazarus running maybe ?

Good catch!!! I would also add: Anti-virus snag?

Thems are real bummers them anti-virus thingamajigs...

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

JSN

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:17:51 pm »
Thank you for the replies, Gus and Jamie.

In a way, I find all of this to be quite funny. Windows used to be a "new" environment for me. I started out programming in DOS. Oh, to go back to those simple, less complicated days. -lol-

Over the years, the Windows Security/Permissions has developed into a conglomeration of unfathomable sludge that does more to confound me than to actually "help" keep me and my files "secure".

I only have one instance of Lazarus running. I checked the folder properties, it is not set to read only. I checked the folder permissions, I have full rights.

With each and every Windows Update, there seems to be more blips and beeps that never existed before.

Maybe I should try switching to Ubuntu. The philosophical definition for Ubuntu seems a lot friendlier than what is coming out of Microsoft these days.

JSN

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 10:27:09 pm »
I really am not opposed to change. It's just, when I do install changes, I want them to work! -lol-

wp

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:44:35 pm »
No need to run away when a problem occurs. If you don't solve this issue it will return in Ubuntu.

I just downloaded lzRichEdit and tried to verify the issue, but it is no problem to modify an inc file and save it.

When the error message appears the next time could you please click into the message dialog, press CTRL+C to copy the complete error message to the clipboard and paste it here into a forum post? I am asking for this because your screenshot does not show the entire file path.

Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Environment" > "Backup". For me the settings are "Project files" > "Same name (in subdirectory)" and "backup" subdirectory, as well as "Other files" > "User-defined extension (.pp.xxx)" > "bak" User defined extension, "backup" subdirectory. Since these are the default settings you probably have the same. One possibility could be (although I don't believe it) that the backup directory cannot be created. Does it exist? can you create it manually? Do you have write permission in the folder into which you extracted the lzRichEdit package?

Do not install Lazarus or any third-party packages into "c:\program files". You will have lots of access right issues here. Better to install Lazarus into something like c:\Lazarus (not 100% sure, but if you are an "ordinary" user you may have access here too). D:\Lazarus (on a different drive) definetely works, as well as, of course, your user folder (c:\user\<your name>\Lazarus, or similar)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:48:48 pm by wp »

lucamar

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 10:48:38 pm »
Maybe I should try switching to Ubuntu. The philosophical definition for Ubuntu seems a lot friendlier than what is coming out of Microsoft these days.

Most modern Linuxen (including Ubuntu) are quite as (or more) stringent in their security measures  as Windows. The difference is that *nixen have always been more or less that way and the security layers are prettty well defined and understood, as well as the standard ways to bypass them when needed (e.g. with sudo and context-switching).

In that sense, the main difference you would find is that Linux (and most *nixen, with the notable exception of modern Mac OS) are much less opaque than Windows.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

JSN

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:05 pm »
WP and Lucamar, thank you for your comments and insight.

Lazarus is installed at the root of the C drive, C:\Lazarus. ALL Components are in the C:\Lazarus\Components folder. I have full Windows Permissions.

I wanted to use a new version of Lazarus.

lzRichEdit is the heart and soul of all the applications that I have created. Since I am unable to install this component, I am reverting back to version 1.6.4.

lzRichEdit installs without error(s) in 1.6.4. Why not in 2.0.12? Purely a rhetorical question.

Progress is the natural flow of humanity. That said, I still believe there is much to be applauded in regards to simplicity. :)

K-I-S-S.

wp

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:50 pm »
From where did you download lzRichEdit? Mine is from  http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarusfiles/files/lzRichEdit.zip/download

Returning to the virus idea mentioned above: I did observe severe AV issues myself with BitDefender which began deleting the binaries of the FPC tool chain after one AV update. Switched to the built-in Windows Defender of Win 10. Always put the Lazarus folder and the folder with your projects on the white-list of the antivirus - this kind of programs does not like us...

Another comment on lzRichEdit: - ok - I should not talk badly about this package, but I have not seen its author here for many years, and it only supports win32 and gtk2 widgetsets. If I had to select a richedit package I'd pick RichMemo which is maintained by a member of the Lazarus team, supports "all" widgetsets and which you can install easily by means of the Online Package Manager (which is probably not available in Laz 1.6.4).

I would not go back to Laz 1.6.4, at least not permanently. Do you know that you can install as many Lazarus versions on the same system so that they do not interfere with each other? When you install v2.0.12 select the "secondary installation" box of the installer and select a directory for the user settings, do not register any file types - then you can use your old favoured and new version for testing (of course, they must be installed into different folders, e.g. c:\Lazarus164 and c:\Lazarus2012). One possible issue should be mentioned though: Since 1.6.4 is rather old, the new version will probably add some new properties to the lfm file, and the consequence is that this file cannot be read by 1.6.4 any more. Therefore, it is highly recommended to prepare a backup version of your project whenever you switch versions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:43:41 am by wp »

JSN

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 11:18:51 pm »
I have an older version of lzRichEdit, though I did try downloading a more recent version, from the link that you shared.

My issues are Windows Security related. But everything I have checked tells me I have full rights to the Lazarus folder. I did originally, before I tried to install lzRichEdit, uncheck the Read-Only checkbox under Properties.

It doesn't need to be this complicated.

I use Norton 360. I don't like Windows Defender or Microsoft Edge, but lately these two applications, especially Edge, were so persistently and intrusively annoying, I started using Microsoft Edge.

Thank you for your efforts on this, WP. I appreciate your time.

I am happy to stay back on 1.6.4.

wp

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 11:31:33 pm »
It doesn't need to be this complicated.
No, it IS NOT this complicated. No idea what's wrong in your case. I've installed dozens of Lazarus versions and never had such issues.

Your decision. But the more you stay behind the more difficult it will be to catch up some day.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:33:10 pm by wp »

lucamar

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 11:38:09 pm »

If I were you I'd try to find which's really the highest version that still works for you. Even if it turns out to be 1.8.4 or one of the earlier 2.0.x I think it's worth updating.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

jamie

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 11:54:59 pm »
There is a note here and that is I noticed that package is trying to be installed within the IDE component folder.. I really don't think that is a good idea for any added components because each time you update the IDE with a  clean install those could go bye bye

Here any packages that are gotten from online package manager has its own folder in the USER\AppData\Lazarus\Package.....

I can't say for sure what is happening but maybe the component folder is being locked from a rebuild ?

I would say it should be good practice to create a folder for added packages outside of Lazarus or use the OnLine package manager for it.
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

TinyPortal © 2005-2018