Forum > Other OS

WriteLn and DOSBox

<< < (3/4) > >>

lucamar:
Note that Ñuño also said:
--- Quote from: Ñuño_Martínez on April 05, 2021, 09:39:30 pm ---And the same problem with FreeDOS. :(
--- End quote ---
so it doesn't seem to be a problem of the host platform but of the IDE itself. Unless he means "FreeDOS in DosEmu" or alike, o.c.

I'll have to take the dust out of one of my older computers and test in real hardware ... some day or other :D

MarkMLl:
If I were to look at this running natively e.g. because I decided to re-cap a scrap PC, what would I need to know? Presumably I'd need FreeDOS (which I've never played with) but what else... Go32V2? Where do I find the latter etc.?

I'd be very surprised if there really were a FreeDOS problem, since it's used by HP etc. to host setup programs.

MarkMLl

lucamar:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on May 28, 2021, 09:30:09 pm ---If I were to look at this running natively e.g. because I decided to re-cap a scrap PC, what would I need to know? Presumably I'd need FreeDOS (which I've never played with) but what else... Go32V2? Where do I find the latter etc.?
--- End quote ---

You'd need a DOS (it doesn't have to be FreeDOS, though I'd recommend it) computer and the Go32v2 release of Free Pascal, nothing else. Though, if you can (and want to) I'd also install a full Borland/Turbo Pascal (e.g. v7.0).
And maybe Windows 3.1 and Delphi 1.0* ;)

I have got preconfigured IDE disks with MS/Free/Open- DOS with quite a lot of things (editors, TP/BP, BC++, MASM, FP, Win3.11+Delphi, several tools, ...) but that might be overkill if you just want to do a little test :-[

* There is a free download of Delphi 1 Client/Server at Embarcadero ... :-X

MarkMLl:
Well, that's been an interesting exercise... ** ***

Leaving everything else aside, I can confirm that FPC 3.2.0 on Go32V2 running directly on i386 hardware (Sony Miaow laptop) renders all characters and character positions correctly, in particular the menu that you showed in your posting.

So I'd put my money on this being a problem in a library or BIOS facility used by multiple x86 emulators. ****

** The reason I was interested in looking at this was that I wanted to see how nicely FreeDOS played with other OSes etc. So far, I suspect that most of the problems I've seen were down to misinterpreted sector addresses, i.e. LBA vs non-LBA partition table entries, but things were hardly helped by- at one point- my thinking that I couldn't boot the FreeDOS CD and inadvertently having my drive letters messed up by the USB loader on floppy. This really takes me back to messing around with LILO 25 years ago...

*** I must admit that I've got a weakness for reimagined OSes. One of the nicest I've come across was IBM's VM/CMS, where the mainframe card reader and punch had been quietly turned into an inter-user messaging system.

**** I think this is the first time I've played with a DOS extender since about 1989.

MarkMLl

Re-searcher:
@MarkMLI

Can you tell us which dos version is installed on this laptop (Sony Miaow laptop) ?

Before installing GO32V2.

Erik

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version