Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Correct way to pass ordinary String to WinAPI Unicode functions  (Read 2572 times)

furious programming

There are at least few ways to convert standard String variable and pass the result as a PWideChar to Windows API functions with postfix W. But I am looking for a solution that is, above all, correct, short and will work without any problems on modern Windows (especially Windows 10) and using the OBJFPC mode.

So, in my program I store all strings as a standard String type. Now I need to pass two such strings to the ShellExecuteW function. These strings are to include the directory path and the file name. The function is to open a given directory in the file explorer and highlight the given file (setting lpOperation to explore). What is the correct way to pass such a strings to ShellExecuteW function?

Thanks for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:08:50 pm by furious programming »
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

ASerge

Re: Correct way to pass ordinary String to WinAPI Unicode functions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:59:59 pm »
There are at least few ways to convert standard String variable and pass the result as a PWideChar to Windows API functions with postfix W. But I am looking for a solution that is, above all, correct, short and will work without any problems on modern Windows (especially Windows 10) and using the OBJFPC mode.

So, in my program I store all strings as a standard String type. Now I need to pass two such strings to the ShellExecuteW function. These strings are to include the directory path and the file name. The function is to open a given directory in the file explorer and highlight the given file (setting lpOperation to explore). What is the correct way to pass such a strings to ShellExecuteW function?
Use UnicodeString:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. {$MODE OBJFPC}
  3. uses Windows, ActiveX, ShellApi;
  5. procedure SelectFileInExplorer(const FileName: string);
  6. var
  7.   Params: UnicodeString;
  8. begin
  9.   Params := ' /select, ' + UTF8Decode(FileName);
  10.   ShellExecuteW(0, nil, 'explorer.exe', PWideChar(Params), nil, SW_SHOW);
  11. end;
  13. begin
  14.   SetMultiByteConversionCodePage(CP_UTF8); // Lazarus compatible
  15.   CoInitializeEx(nil, COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED or COINIT_DISABLE_OLE1DDE);
  16.   SelectFileInExplorer('c:\Windows\system.ini');
  17. end.

Aidex

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:10:04 pm »
I use this line ...
  1. SysUtils.ExecuteProcess(UnicodeString('explorer.exe'),UnicodeString('/select,"'+fn+'"'),[]);  

Remy Lebeau

• Lebeau Software
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:45:51 pm »
I use this line ...
  1. SysUtils.ExecuteProcess(UnicodeString('explorer.exe'),UnicodeString('/select,"'+fn+'"'),[]);  

Are the typecasts really necessary?  ExecuteProcess() is overloaded for RawByteString and UnicodeString, so if the type-casts are removed:

1. SysUtils.ExecuteProcess('explorer.exe', '/select,"'+fn+'"', []);  

Then, if String is a (UTF-8 encoded) AnsiString then the RawByteString overload will be called, otherwise String will be UnicodeString so the UnicodeString overload will be called instead.
Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software - Owner, Developer
Internet Direct (Indy) - Admin, Developer (Support forum)

Aidex

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
The Unicode typecast is not necessary.
I only use it because I saw in the Windows specific sourcecodes of FreePascal that there is always a typecast to Unicode done internally.
Therefore I got used to use UnicodeString for paths and filenames if possible. At least under Windows it is no disadvantage, I think.
Since in my other source codes the filename is already defined as UnicodeString, I did so.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:10:29 pm by Aidex »

furious programming

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 08:51:55 pm »
To this day, I have used two ways to convert — one was:

1. PWideChar(UnicodeString(MyString))

and the other was:

1. PWideChar(UTF8ToUTF16(MyString))

Both worked, without any extra things. But I found it strange that the same conversion (regular String to PWideChar) could be solved in different ways. It seemed to me that they are not unambiguous. And now @ASerge gave another one, this time using the UTF8Decode function and UnicodeString as a temp variable (and other initialization functions, which is more complex that simple casting/converting).

Actually all these ways are correct?

Ultimately, I used ExecuteProcess because it allows me to skip the conversion (there is a version for RawByteString), and secondly, I can open the directory in the file explorer and additionally select the file, if it should be selected. The only problem is that I can't select multiple files this way — I tried various ways to use the /select parameter, but it didn't do anything.

Anyone have an idea how to open a directory in the system file explorer and highlight a few files? Is such a thing possible?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:53:30 pm by furious programming »

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

ASerge

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 08:59:19 pm »
Anyone have an idea how to open a directory in the system file explorer and highlight a few files? Is such a thing possible?
See SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems.

furious programming

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:08:12 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply. But in my project this is additional feature, so I will consider its implementation. Thank you all for help, problems solved.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018