Recent

Author Topic: Where is Intro To Delphi/Pascal From Embarcadero?  (Read 1567 times)

Blade

Where is Intro To Delphi/Pascal From Embarcadero?
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:40:00 pm »
Embarcadero never ceases to amaze and disappoint me.  I thought Delphi (Object Pascal) was their flagship product, but there they are pushing C++ for their latest video series on YouTube.  As if C++ needs the extra promotion, in a cluster of also free IDEs, compilers, and YouTube videos for it.

I won't mind so much, if there was already an Embarcadero YouTube series called "Intro to Delphi" (or Object Pascal) from them.  I guess common sense is not so common.

440bx

Re: Where is Intro To Delphi/Pascal From Embarcadero?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 07:52:52 pm »
I guess common sense is not so common.
Common sense is the least common of all senses.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

speter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:50:23 am »
One might also think that E thinks their C++ product is superior to the competition (I don't know whether it is); whereas in Delphi has a hugely superior competitor (imho). :)

cheers
S.
I climbed mighty mountains, and saw that they were actually tiny foothills. :)

Blade

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:05:45 am »
One might also think that E thinks their C++ product is superior to the competition (I don't know whether it is)...

I would say that it is not or at least it's benefits are not fully understood, and maybe a good indicator of this is how it's talked down upon over at Stack Overflow and elsewhere.  It's trapped between Microsoft's Visual Studio and the free open-source GCC. 

Arguably, it's true claim to fame is being associated with Delphi (Object Pascal) and its way of doing things, where if you are somehow in a multi-language environment with C/C++, then you can leverage the familiar RAD practices, IDE, and some code. 

I understand that Embarcadero also didn't want to put all of it's eggs in one basket, but such a strategy would have to be careful not to cause conflicts between products where they hurt each other.  There is a saying, "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face".  I'm all for Embarcadero giving free C++ Intro video lessons, but if you haven't done that for Delphi/Object Pascal, then it becomes WTF.  Like Embarcadero doesn't have enough foresight to do a Delphi/Object Pascal Intro video series to promote their more well known product?

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 07:10:18 am »
Not sure what all the fuss is about - their are plenty of EMB Delphi videos (I watched many before abandoning Delphi for Lazarus + FPC).

Blade

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 07:25:59 am »
Not sure what all the fuss is about - their are plenty of EMB Delphi videos (I watched many before abandoning Delphi for Lazarus + FPC).

I disagree, because of the nature of their videos on YouTube.  Many of the previous Embarcadero videos are IDE and product specific, often dealing with features or supposed product advantages, and are not teaching the programming language.  Where the C++ video series is teaching the programming language (and as if there isn't enough of such on YouTube already). 

There are other YouTube channels that teach Delphi/Object Pascal, the programming language, but it's odd that Embarcadero hasn't come out with their own series.  I mean if they are going to go down that path for C++ (as if they are a teaching resource), then they should have arguably already done so for Object Pascal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018