Recent

Author Topic: Disappearing cursor and non-disappearing popup  (Read 2216 times)

Frogfather

Disappearing cursor and non-disappearing popup
« on: March 12, 2021, 12:44:29 pm »
Morning!

A couple of things I've become aware of since updating to 2.0.8 last week on MacOS Catalina)

1) The cursor randomly disappears.
It's still possible to type but the cursor won't reappear without restarting the ide.

2) The popup window that appears when you hover over an element (not the code completion, the yellow box with info on the class/function) won't go away. Again this requires a restart.

I've updated my Linux machine too, but haven't used it enough to say whether the issues occur there too.

Cheers

John

balazsszekely

Re: Disappearing cursor and non-disappearing popup
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 01:51:09 pm »
Hi Frogfather,

Under macOS it's recommended to use Lazarus trunk, tones of improvements has been done lately. You can install it with fpcupdeluxe(https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases/download/1.8.2m/fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-darwin-cocoa.zip), it won't interfere with your current installation.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 04:46:48 am »
1) The cursor randomly disappears.
It's still possible to type but the cursor won't reappear without restarting the ide.

I haven't been able to make this happen on demand yet. Have you? No need to restart - just go to a menu item with an input field, then return to the editor and the cursor reappears.

It also happens in Lazarus trunk.

2) The popup window that appears when you hover over an element (not the code completion, the yellow box with info on the class/function) won't go away. Again this requires a restart.

I've not seen this one myself with Lazarus trunk, or with 2.0.8, 2.0.10 and 2.0.12 installed from source which I also use on occasion to test code I write for the Wiki's Mac Portal.

Frogfather

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:45:38 am »
Hi.

Thanks for the quick replies - I'm pretty sure I tried clicking on menu items but maybe not. It used to happen on previous versions but not quite so often. I'll try installing from trunk and see if that helps.

Cheers

John

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:36:49 am »
For further debugging, a few bits of info.

It could be a focus issue. Or app-active/deactive. (including code completion window)

You might want to compile with -dVerboseFocus  -dSynCaretDebug
If you can run the log to console. Or a log file  --debug-log=file
Then watch the output. So you can establish if there was a focus message.
And also if there was any "SynEditCaret ShowCaret "

If the caret is gone:  shift-alt-cursor-down
This creates multiple carets (if you type text should appear on each line)
Do the extra carets appear?

If the caret is gone, go to Tools > Options > Editor >  General
First Cancel, to see if that alone does bring back the Caret.
IF it is still lost, then go to the options again and toggle "visible caret in unfocused editor" and press ok, with that value changed. (It is the change that matters, not the final setting).

Though it may also be interesting, if the issue happens with that flag permanently on.

Frogfather

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 02:07:05 pm »
Hmmm, I'm getting Access Violation errors with pretty much every button click on fpcupDeluxe. I was wondering if it was related to the Catalina issue where getCurrentDir returns '/' but it's happening on Mohave as well. I'll take a look at the git repo and see if there's any issues mentioned there...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018