Recent

Author Topic: FPCUPDELUXE: Failed to Install/Update FPC+Laz from trunk  (Read 4214 times)

Rainbow6

Re: FPCUPDELUXE: Failed to Install/Update FPC+Laz from trunk
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 10:00:50 pm »
@Rainbow6
Can you share which version of macOS you are using. In the image attached is very blurred

I use the latest plain Big Sur 11.2.3 version coming via software update / App Store - nothing fancy and no pre-releases.

And for the next post - yes - most probably it was command line tools - Xcode is very picky at this point - especially if you freshly installed Xcode and never accepted the "user agreement" even the command line tools won't work properly.

Good to read, that you managed it.

daniel_sap

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 01:15:20 pm »
I use the latest plain Big Sur 11.2.3 version coming via software update / App Store - nothing fancy and no pre-releases.
Yes, it's better not to use Beta releases, but my PC is with latest betas since long time and didn't want to spent time on this.

And for the next post - yes - most probably it was command line tools - Xcode is very picky at this point - especially if you freshly installed Xcode and never accepted the "user agreement" even the command line tools won't work properly.

This is good to know. I didn't know at all that Lazarus has something to do with the xcode and command line tools.
Now, I'll keep in mind that I have to keep an eye on these tools as well.
And still don't know why exactly Lazarus needs the command line tools. I assume it is only for development and later when I prepare the installation for my clients it won't be necessary. But I'm far from that.

May be, FpcUpDeluxe could somehow catch such situations and show some message pointing in the right direction.
(don't know how much useful is this, but just to share my thoughts and ideas)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 01:23:38 pm »
And still don't know why exactly Lazarus needs the command line tools. I assume it is only for development and later when I prepare the installation for my clients it won't be necessary. But I'm far from that.

Yes, they're only required for development. Installing them sets up some paths that the compiler needs to correctly find libraries and such.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 01:31:47 pm »
May be, FpcUpDeluxe could somehow catch such situations and show some message pointing in the right direction.
Yes, that would be good. However. Fpcupdeluxe (and FPC and Lazarus) support many versions of OSX. On systems ranging from ppc to aarch64. Besides, OSX is making it harder and harder for 3rd party to fit in. Again, my OSX is a VM of 10.15 on Win. That is it. Fpcupdeluxe is 30+ binaries. From Win to Haiku. Crostools also. You can imagine: too much work.
If an error is reproduceable and can be detected, fpcupdeluxe will happily emit a message.

daniel_sap

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 10:44:39 am »

Yes, they're only required for development. Installing them sets up some paths that the compiler needs to correctly find libraries and such.
Good to know this information. Thanks @PascalDragon

If an error is reproduceable and can be detected, fpcupdeluxe will happily emit a message.

I will keep an eye on this issue and if it appears again I will try to make it clear and reproducableA

Fpcupdeluxe (and FPC and Lazarus) support many versions of OSX. On systems ranging from ppc to aarch64. Besides, OSX is making it harder and harder for 3rd party to fit in. Again, my OSX is a VM of 10.15 on Win. That is it. Fpcupdeluxe is 30+ binaries. From Win to Haiku. Crostools also. You can imagine: too much work.

It is even difficult to imagine how much work is it.

I was thinking about something like that. When somebody compiles using the FpcUpDeluxe Darwin Cocoa and error occurs, it checks if the error contains ptop and Cocoa.sdk it can write in the console something like - 'Possible solution, reinstalling CommandLineTools'. This way for all platforms and architectures some helpful guidelines can be shown to the person in trouble.
But you know better, I just wanted to share an idea. May be in the future if times are different and situation FpcUpDeluxe can go in such direction.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018