Recent

Author Topic: Help with task using array.  (Read 2067 times)

Stycx

Help with task using array.
« on: March 02, 2021, 08:31:58 pm »
Please help me with this task I need for school.

There is a line with those who want to ride at the lift with a load capacity of 500 kg. When the elevator door opens, customers step into the elevator in a row
until it declares that the load capacity has been exceeded.
Draw up a program stating which driver should disembark in order for the lift to reach the largest possible passenger
mass. What will this mass be?

The amount of people and their individual mass is determined by the user.

Please help

bytebites

Re: Help with task using array.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:52 pm »
Please show what you have done.

Stycx

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:47:35 pm »
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. program Arrays1i;
  2. var n,d,b,c:integer;
  3.   a:array[1..10000] of integer;
  4.   begin
  5.     write('How many people will use the lift? ');
  6.     readln(n);
  7.     b:=0;
  8.     for d:=1 to n do
  9.     begin
  10.     write(d,'. persons mass ');
  11.     readln(a[d]);
  12.     b:=b+a[d];
  13.     end;
  14.     if b<=500 then
  15.     writeln('Everyone can ride the lift!');
  17. end.

I have no idea on how to get the part, where it choses from the array a person to leave behind to maximize the lifts maximum capacity, which is 500.
Please note, that I have been using Lazarus for only like a month and it's my first programming language, so if there are wrong variable types or some other mistakes, please be sure to point them out             

[Edited to add code tags: please read How to use the Forums.]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:03:24 am by trev »

Stycx

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:25 pm »
I forgot to mention, but the program must specify which person I threw out of the lift.

winni

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:06 pm »
Hi!

For better readability: Use the code tags for your code.

And for the easier understanding of your code dont name the variables a,b,c but (here) mass, count and so on.

And you dont want to compute 10.000 persons, because the lift might be full before.

So one criterion is your magic "500" - kg I think.
And the second criterion is the high bound of your array.
If you try to write to a[10001] it will crash.

So the updated code looks like that:

1. program Arrays1i;
  2. var count,mass: integer;
  3.   a:array[1..10000] of integer;
  4.   full : boolean = false;
  5.   begin
  6.     writeln('How many people will use the lift? ');
  7.     mass:=0;
  8.     count := low(a);
  9.     while not full and (count <= high(a)) do
  10.     begin
  11.     write(count,'. persons mass ');
  12.     readln(a[count]);
  13.     mass:=mass+a[count];
  14.     full := mass> 500;
  15.     if full then writeln ('Person ',count, ' must leave') else
  16.         writeln ('Ok');
  17.     inc(count);
  18.     end;
  19. end.

Winni

Stycx

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 11:12:47 pm »
Hello, Winni!

I think some parts of your code work, but in the rules of the task the user must input how many people are standing at the line for the lift.

I don't know if I will explain this right, but I will try.

For example the user puts that 6 people are in the line waiting.
The user needs to input their masses. I will write some for example. 1st 97kg, 2nd 83kg, 3rd 103kg, 4th 76kg, 5th 89kg and the 6th 98kg.

The task requires, that I need to use the most weight in the lift that doesn't exceed 500kg. If I were to add the first 5 peoples mass it would be 448kg, but if I were to replace the 4th person with the 6th then the mass would be 470kg. And in this case the 4th person would be thrown out.

If the mass of the 6 people would be under 500 then the lift would just go, but since the mass exceeds the 500kg, I need to choose those people, whos combined mass will be either 500kg or the closest to 500kg

It's a really complicated task for me, and I don't know how to do this exactly.

I understand, if you don't want to try to write it again with these requirements, but I am thankful for your first attemp.

winni

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:46 pm »
Hi!

Okay, I understood your mind game.

But back to reality:
You want to  tell Arnold Schwarzenegger to leave the lift, because only that little Hobbit in the back is allowed to enter??? Oh boy! And second: The official shown mass limit has a very big tolerance especially in lifts!!

Anyway:
If you got let's say 5 persons breaking the 500 kg limit, then you have to check all combinations with 4 persons that come nearest to the limit.

You have to check
2+3+4+5 =
1+3+4+5 =
1+2+4+5=
1+2+3+5=
1+2+3+4=

You see: this is a job for a loop and you allways drop one position.
And for every position you have to compute 500 - sum[loop].

Winni

AL

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 11:34:46 pm »
To find which person should leave you need something like this (not tested)
 This will only remove one person

2. program Arrays1i;
  3.     Const  MaxWeight = 500 ;
  5.     var count,mass,
  6.          MustLeave, Overweight, i : integer;
  7.           a   : array[1..10000] of integer;
  8.           full : boolean = false;
  9.       begin
  10.         writeln('How many people will use the lift? ');
  11.         mass:= 0;
  12.         count := low(a);
  13.         while not full and (count <= high(a)) do
  14.         begin
  15.          write(count,'. persons mass ');
  16.          readln(a[count]);
  17.          mass := mass + a[count];
  18.          full := mass > 500;
  19.          inc(count);
  20.         end;
  22.         if not full then  
  23.           writeln ('Ok')
  24.         else
  25.         begin   // search which person should leave  
  26.            OverWeight := Mass - MaxWeight ;
  27.            MustLeave := Count ; // assume the last entered will leave
  28.            For i := Count downto 1 do      // count down to keep priority
  29.            begin
  30.               if a[i] >= OverWeight then                            // make sure the person is heavy enough
  31.                  if a[i] > a[Mustleave] then MustLeave := i ;  // scan the array to find a lighter person
  32.            end; //for      
  34.            writeln ('Person ',MustLeave, ' must leave')
  36.     end.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:49:29 pm by AL »
Laz 3.1, fpc 3.2.2, Win10
Laz 3.1  fpc 3.2.2, MacOS Monterey running on VMWare/Win 10
Laz 3.1  fpc 3.2.2 Ubuntu 20.04

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 11:41:26 pm »
I am pretty sure Winni  (or anyone else) won't write it for you here Stycx, its a school project and you need to write it. But maybe we can give some hints that will help. I suspect Winni's hint about good variable names is a very important one, I sure would mark you down for using n, d, b and c.

If the task is to get the most people into the lift without exceeding a particular weight, I reckon I would take the lightest people first. Has the topic of sorting been mentioned in recent lectures ?

If the task is to get as close to the particular weight but still be under it, its a combination thing. And maybe then its trying 'random' combinations recording the combination that returns the highest. That might be a bit advanced (although I am sure you could do it if you tried) so I expect its the "most people" model.  Don't forget, some people can be quiet light ...

People here (both light ones and heavy ones) will be very keen to comment on your code but you must write it ! So, show us what you can do.

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

speter

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:48:14 pm »
Stycx,

I suggest having an array and then filling the array with random numbers, for example:
  1. const
  2.   max=10;
  3. var
  4.   people : array [1..max of integer;
  5.   a : byte;
  6. begin
  7.   randomize;
  8.   for a := 1 to 10 do
  9.     people[a] := 50 + random(76); // meaning people mass 50. .125 kg

Then you need to work out - using those "people" - which selection gets you closest to 500. :)

cheers
S.
I climbed mighty mountains, and saw that they were actually tiny foothills. :)

440bx

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 11:49:59 pm »
@dbannon posted while I was writing this and, the essence of what he stated is pretty much what I stated as well. 

I'm not going to give you the code but, I will give you the solution.

Before anything, it's important to underline that the solution is to maximize the amount of weight and _not_ the number of people.  That's important because, it is possible that a lower number of people come closer to the maximum weight but, that solution would not be acceptable to Mr. Spock.  Paraphrasing, the needs of multiple skinny ones outweigh the needs of one fat one. ;)  (if you don't agree take it with a Vulcan.)

For what you mentioned the solution is fairly simple.  Just sort the occupants by weight.  If the occupants exceed the maximum weight, usually simply removing the lightest occupant will do but, in some cases you may need to scan through the occupants from lesser weight to greater weight until you find the _one_ occupant that when removed makes the total weight acceptable while keeping it closest to the maximum allowed weight.

Of course, there will be some cases where more than one occupant has to be removed.  That's when things get really interesting and where Mr. Spock might conclude the solution to be illogical since there can be cases where a greater number of occupants would weigh less than a lower number of occupants that maximize the weight but, either solution can be systematically found when the occupants are sorted by weight.  That would be a particularly nasty problem, morally and mathematically, if for instance, 2 people would come within a pound of the maximum and 5 people would also come within a pound of the maximum.  Your algorithm has to decide if 2 people get high or 5 people get high (because of the lift, of course.)

HTH.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Stycx

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 12:01:53 am »
@440bx

Okay, thank you for all the tips. I would have had pretty much the same idea that Winni had, that I would have needed to check the combinations of those people and their weight, and then just try to somehow extract the closest one to 500kg

winni

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 12:13:26 am »
Hi!

Or the corona solution that I see on the job:

A big sign in the lift:

"Please use this lift single or only with your relatives"

That is the way complicated math problems are solved today!

Winni

Stycx

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 12:16:18 am »
Also I usually try to do these tasks myself, and I have done them myself with usually 0 problems, because I know, these things will come in handy in future codes, but this one just beat me with a stick. This was our second lesson trying to code using arrays, and the first one compared to this one was really easy, so after some hours of thinking about how I could have done this I pretty much gave up.

Thank you @dbannon and @Winni for telling to use different variable names. I haven't really given a big thought about them, because our teacher doesn't really care, but I will try to remember this in the future.
And thanks to @440bx and everyone else for the tips.

Also true Winni, it seems our teacher has forgotten about the on going situation  :o

I will try to put this together in the morning, because it's 1 am for me.
Hopefully it goes well, because you have given me a different point of view on how to conquer this problem.

This was my first time asking for help here, and I am glad that there is such a helpful community here!

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:49 am »
Okay, thank you for all the tips. I would have had pretty much the same idea that Winni had, that I would have needed to check the combinations of those people and their weight, and then just try to somehow extract the closest one to 500kg

Lots of good suggestions so far.

I would be inclined to go for the most (technically) inefficient solution of generating all the sums up to the total number of people, and then choosing the closest one below 500kg.

So, if the number of people was 6, and the total sum of all 6 exceeded 500kg, then I would loop through and calculate the following:

Sum of person 1
Sum of person 2
Sum of person 6
Sum of each combination of 2 persons (1,2; 2;3; 3,4; etc)
Sum of each [/size]combination [/size]of 5 persons

Then, get the closest one to 500kg without going over.

That's a lot of iterations, but fairly straightforward to do.

-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018