Raspbian: running a program using PascalIO from the IDE

<< < (4/6) > >>

GuidoJ:

--- Quote ---That's lousy design IMO.
--- End quote ---
My thought exactly!

GuidoJ:
Hi Mark!

I'm sorry to say, but the remote debugging stuff is way out of my league right now. Too many unknown concepts and conventions.

I'll stick with the root rights for the IDE and continue learning about Linux and the Raspi hardware. I'll revisit remote debugging much later.

Thank you for your help!

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: GuidoJ on March 04, 2021, 02:20:29 pm ---I'm sorry to say, but the remote debugging stuff is way out of my league right now. Too many unknown concepts and conventions.

I'll stick with the root rights for the IDE and continue learning about Linux and the Raspi hardware. I'll revisit remote debugging much later.

--- End quote ---

You DEFINITELY do not need to run the IDE as root. I've now got Lazarus/FPC on a test RPi, and I'm successfully single-stepping through code that reads/writes GPIO bits using the sysfs API (i.e. the pseudo-files in /sys/class/gpio). My usual user ID is a member of the gpio group, apart from that nothing special.

In my case I'm SSHing into the RPi and tunnelling Lazarus through the link, but I'd certainly not expect that to be the magic factor that got something working.

MarkMLl

GuidoJ:
Does is work, when you are not singlestepping? That's where my problem started.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: GuidoJ on March 04, 2021, 04:26:38 pm ---Does is work, when you are not singlestepping? That's where my problem started.

--- End quote ---

Most if not all of the time :-)

I /might/, /possibly/, have seen it falling straight through (i.e. no GUI display) on one or perhaps two occasions. My suspicion is that not all of the function keys etc. are getting through to the IDE, i.e. Raspbian (or whatever it's called these days) might be intercepting some of them for its own use.

I've got a note in my source that some of the GPIO manipulation failed to work using gdbserver and that I ended up running the program (not the IDE) as root to check one final detail... I mention that for completeness.

I've got occasional lockups when setting a breakpoint inside button handlers etc., but that's unconnected.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version