Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus Release 2.0.12  (Read 41767 times)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.12
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 04:48:24 am »
I did not have to reinstall FPC, it worked fine.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Igor Kokarev

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 08:29:59 am »
Thanks for all your hard work on Lazarus!

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 09:29:13 am »
Thanks for the release!

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 11:03:56 am »
So excited, I downloaded and installed it for my Mac (High Sierra), which it upgraded itself from Lazarus 2.0.11, ran my project and got told:
"cocoagdiobjects.pas(11,34) Fatal: Can't find unit CocoaGDIObjects used by CocoaPrivate"

Not a great start.

EDIT: Followed the instructions to completely remove Lazarus, then started again. Same error. Gone back to 2.0.11, which works fine.
Isn't 2.0.11 the branch from where 2.0.12 was built?
They should be identical now.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.12 problems.
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 11:12:01 am »
I have two problems with the Win32 version:
-The first is extremely annoying; but not a deal breaker: the Source Editor is quite sluggish, 2.0.10 wasn't when editing the same code base.
-It tends to hang when closing: when I first installed it and rebuilt it to install packages it refused to close until I forced it via Windows, and has refused every time I tried to get it to rebuild without hanging: I have to force it through Windows or Task Manager. It builds properly: the hang occurs when the IDE is closing itself to restart. The problem is also present, intermittently, when building any of my own code, those unlucky times when I close it the window goes away, but I can see the process wasting CPU cycles until I kill it with Task Manager or similar.
You can see the merged revisions here :
 https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch#Fixes_for_2.0.12_.28merged.29
It is unlikely that any of those caused a big slowdown or hang. Such things have happened for unknown reasons also in the past.
I recommend you try Lazarus trunk. It is much ahead of fixes_2.0.x branch now. It also has some speed optimizations.
Soon a branch for 2.2 will be forked from it.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

geraldholdsworth

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 12:26:40 pm »

No idea. It's odd.
The strange thing is, it reported the error AND opened the unit it couldn't find!

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 02:28:09 pm »

No idea. It's odd.
The strange thing is, it reported the error AND opened the unit it couldn't find!

Indeed, 11 is odd  ;) :)

But yes, 2.0.11 is the branch (it is now 2.0.13). 

2.0.11 is not a single revision, it is the collective name for all the commits in between 2.0.10 and 2.0.12. S
So how different it is, depends on how old it was. (So it changes a lot about a week before release)

Anyway: go to menu: Tools > Configure build lazarus
Check: "Clean all"
Rebuild

See if that helps.

Errors like you got, can happen because of conflicts with old "ppu" files. Normally that is taken care of automatically, but....

geraldholdsworth

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 03:42:07 pm »
Anyway: go to menu: Tools > Configure build lazarus
Check: "Clean all"
Rebuild

See if that helps.
Yep, that did it...thank you.

I'll have to remember that trick.

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 04:52:20 pm »
Thanks to the Lazarus development team for the latest release.

Some of us are not that expressive and may not show up here often, but we really appreciate your work.
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

geraldholdsworth

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 04:58:37 pm »
Thanks to the Lazarus development team for the latest release.

Some of us are not that expressive and may not show up here often, but we really appreciate your work.
Amen to that - in my opinion, although it lacks way behind Delphi (which obviously is a prohibitive cost for most of us), it is also way ahead of Delphi in having a native IDE for each platform - no more having to code on a Windows machine, then port across to a Mac (for example). Except for a few remaining projects I have in Delphi, I can't see myself going back.

Bloodbat

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 10:16:03 pm »
-The first is extremely annoying; but not a deal breaker: the Source Editor is quite sluggish, 2.0.10 wasn't when editing the same code base.
-It tends to hang when closing: when I first installed it and rebuilt it to install packages it refused to close until I forced it via Windows, and has refused every time I tried to get it to rebuild without hanging: I have to force it through Windows or Task Manager. It builds properly: the hang occurs when the IDE is closing itself to restart. The problem is also present, intermittently, when building any of my own code, those unlucky times when I close it the window goes away, but I can see the process wasting CPU cycles until I kill it with Task Manager or similar.
You can see the merged revisions here :
 https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch#Fixes_for_2.0.12_.28merged.29
It is unlikely that any of those caused a big slowdown or hang. Such things have happened for unknown reasons also in the past.
I recommend you try Lazarus trunk. It is much ahead of fixes_2.0.x branch now. It also has some speed optimizations.
Soon a branch for 2.2 will be forked from it.

I checked that list and also thought none of those could cause those problems; but who knows?
I've tried Lazarus trunk in the past; but reverted to stable releases since I recall Lazarus refused to build at some point and was too busy to deal with that. I hope a 2.2 release comes sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the advice anyway :)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 12:02:08 am »
Thanks to the team for all the work and the new release. :)

I can't reproduce it here.

But the symptoms description would make me thing, that the IDE is running some background task.
Some tasks in the IDE, take a long time, and do a lot of Application.ProcessMessages. The the rest of the IDE only works during those ProcessMessages, and the first thing you will note is the editor slows down.
Of course the background task could also prevent the IDE from exiting.... (maybe the task goes wrong, and loops forever)

Now one scenario with ProcessMessages it the Debugger (the gdb based one, not fpdebug). However that should play nice on exit. And also that has not changed between versions.

If you run "Search in Files" that could also happen.

But that are all scenarios that do not apply all the time, and that you need to trigger.

I saw another occurrence in CheckLfmDlg. Not sure when this happens.
And there may be more in other parts of the source.
Maybe codetools do some work.

Please start the IDE with --debug-log=c:\log.txt  (or wherever you want the log).
Then submit this logfile.
With a bit of luck, maybe it contains a hint.

Bloodbat

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 11:28:39 am »

But the symptoms description would make me thing, that the IDE is running some background task.
Some tasks in the IDE, take a long time, and do a lot of Application.ProcessMessages. The the rest of the IDE only works during those ProcessMessages, and the first thing you will note is the editor slows down.
Of course the background task could also prevent the IDE from exiting.... (maybe the task goes wrong, and loops forever)

Now one scenario with ProcessMessages it the Debugger (the gdb based one, not fpdebug). However that should play nice on exit. And also that has not changed between versions.

But that are all scenarios that do not apply all the time, and that you need to trigger.

Please start the IDE with --debug-log=c:\log.txt  (or wherever you want the log).

I did some tests with the conditions you mentioned, haven't been able to hang the IDE after building several projects after using Search in files and running under the GDB debugger.
The consistent hang I can reproduce is after rebuilding the IDE: it managed to succesfully exit once, because the process only really linked, when I cleaned it and rebuilt it, it hanged again, I attach, as you requested, the log.txt file, such as it is: it just stops logging mid word.
The editor seemed responsive as usual again, so if the only problem is the IDE not killing itself properly when being rebuilt, it's no longer a deal breaker for me.
I hope some of this helps, and I'm very grateful for your assistance.

funlw65

• Visual Pin Configurator for Nucleo 64pin boards
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 12:36:04 pm »

I did some tests with the conditions you mentioned, haven't been able to hang the IDE after building several projects after using Search in files and running under the GDB debugger.
The consistent hang I can reproduce is after rebuilding the IDE: it managed to succesfully exit once, because the process only really linked, when I cleaned it and rebuilt it, it hanged again, I attach, as you requested, the log.txt file, such as it is: it just stops logging mid word.
The editor seemed responsive as usual again, so if the only problem is the IDE not killing itself properly when being rebuilt, it's no longer a deal breaker for me.
I hope some of this helps, and I'm very grateful for your assistance.

Also after rebuilding Lazarus several times (in 4Gb RAM memory, and running Firefox in background, playing a movie - I want to say that probably there was very low memory available), the one build based on Qt5 widgetset crashes again when mouse pointer hover over a speedbutton. Unfortunately, I hadn't built for debug and the bastard plays hide and seek when I get prepared :(

For the one build with gtk widgetset, In Window menu, going with the mouse pointer back an forth over the "Tabs for project(x)" option, the checkbox from its left gets checked at first pass, and unchecked at the second pass, without click, just passing with the pointer. I thought my touchpad is crazy so I installed an USB mouse. Same behavior. 
FreePascal 3.2.2, C 10.2.1, D 1.24 under Linux(init,musl,glibc), DragonflyBSD, NetBSD
gui: gtk2, qt5, raylib4.x+raygui3.x, nanovg 
tui: freevision, tvision2, termbox2+widgets, finalcut
db: typhoon-1.11...

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 01:12:45 pm »
When you try to close the IDE while it is building, does it ask: "Abort Compile?"

About memory: If you have restrained memory try to avoid smartlinking / do not specify -XX

Smart-linking the entire IDE, with low memory, I have personally experienced that taking up to 10 minutes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018