Recent

Author Topic: Free individual icons library, with licence similar to LGPL  (Read 2986 times)

devEric69

Free individual icons library, with licence similar to LGPL
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:51 am »
Hello,

Currently, I'm using the 16x16 pixels *.bmp icons from an old Delphi (those created since version 1) and my own, in a TImageList. It's quite limited, and rather rustic (not to say that it's an involuntary abstract art :D ). I'm not an art designer.

Anecdotally, I know that on the web, there is a plethora of image libraries for websites: they are often downloadable in a single large image which is compound of icons, that must then be referenced in the Php or Javascript source code, a bit like with a segment:displacement address inside its large image container in order to get the right rectangle to locate and render the right icon).

Are you aware, do you use individual icons libraries, 16*16 pixels size, downloadable from the internet, which are TImageList compliant and licensed under a license comparable to LGPL (Lesser General Public License)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:09:10 am by devEric69 »
use: Linux 64 bits (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

440bx

Re: Free individual icons library, with licence similar to LGPL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 10:56:45 am »
Yes, there are some and, the terms and conditions vary.

In some cases, they are totally free, meaning use as you see fit, the author does not require money nor attribution credit.

Often, the author requires attribution credit (he/she is an author/contributor) but, nothing other than that.

As far as finding them, there are some sites on the web.  I just use google to find them.  You'll have to sift through some "junk" but, it's not bad (at least it wasn't the last time I did - a few years ago.)

HTH.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

bpranoto

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:39 pm »
I use Icon Finder: https://www.iconfinder.com

There are free and paid ones, but the prices are reasonable.

af0815

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 12:27:56 pm »
Have you looked in the images folder of lazarus and read the copyrigth.txt there ? There you find a link to Tango Icons.

So you can often look in OpenSource Software and search for the icons an their license.
regards
Andreas

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 12:50:39 pm »
I can create icons for you, for free. But with 2 conditions:
- I can do it only when I'm not too busy
- You provide me the idea, what need to be drawn

Anybody who need icons, you can contact me.
No license issue.
You can license it to whatever you like.
No attribution required.
 ;D

When I'm too stress doing programming or too bored playing computer games, I do painting. Painting is one of my hobbies.

lucamar

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 08:01:41 pm »
That's a very generous offer, Handoko.

I might take it up some time: I'm often on the lookout for application icons. :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

balazsszekely

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:06:52 pm »
Browse here: https://iconarchive.com/popular.html , you can see the license below the artist. 

devEric69

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 09:17:13 am »
Hello,

Thank you all for your contributions, and generous proposals for icons creation (thank you @Handoko).

I went to see the common free " Tango Icons " library as suggested by @af0815: these are many beautiful *.svg to download, created to make basically 48x48 px icons, ideal for desktop shortcut icons. Rendering them in a browser generates a *.png. Then, the import of such *.png in a TListImage, reduces it downside to 16x16 pixels, but without a big loss of quality: it's nice.

Thanks for the link @GetMem, to https://iconarchive.com that I went to see: I was able to find what I wanted (search filter on this website with type = application, size = large-image, and license = freeware or backlink).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:20:21 pm by devEric69 »
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

Bad Sector

• Runtime Terror
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:33:54 pm »
I made some icons over the years which you can find here:

http://runtimeterror.com/tools/icons/

They aren't anything special (they might be even a bit "rustic" as you say :-P) but i use them (and even add new stuff now and then as i need it) and in a style that is easy to replicate (basically a black outline with gradient-y colors inside). I use those for more than a decade now.
Kostas "Bad Sector" Michalopoulos
Runtime Terror

devEric69

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 12:18:49 pm »
Thank you, @Bad Sector.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018