Recent

Author Topic: Laz inst. error: can't locate FPC source - Source Forge -? can't find it there..  (Read 4984 times)

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
...  so why not have the Wiki point there?  I followed "the instructions" yet never came close?  True?  or am I just plain stupid?  (Be honest, I don't mind).

To which version? It points to the top level directory from which to choose the version you want/need and which bitness (32/64) you want or need. I'll see if I can make it clearer - you may not be alone.

Okay, so no error ... er, wait, now I get a pop up.... about macro something ...  hmm, can't re-create.

Harmless, ignore; it only occurs the first time.

... and do I need XCode itself installed?

It has always been required by FPC, but I haven't checked recently if you can omit it.  Xcode  also has some useful tools like the plist editor and the instruments.app.

AlanTheBeast

• My software never cras....

Thanks trev.  For the moment it seems I can work w/o XCode - there are other plist editors too...
Everyone talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it.
..Samuel Clemens.

trev

• Global Moderator
Looking at the instruction:

Download the official Free Pascal Compiler (FPC) binaries and FPC source packages from the Lazarus IDE file area. When you arrive at that file area, choose the correct version of your operating system. The vast majority of Mac users should now choose the 64 bit packages in the Lazarus macOS x86-64 directory. Every Mac computer since late 2006 has been 64 bit capable. The fact that Apple has completely dropped all 32 bit support from macOS 10.15 Catalina (released in October 2019) is another reason to choose the 64 bit packages.

I've tried to make it clearer so that it now reads:

Download the official Free Pascal Compiler (FPC) binaries and FPC source packages from the Lazarus IDE file area.

When you arrive at that file area:

1. Choose the correct version of your operating system. The vast majority of Mac users should now choose the 64 bit packages in the Lazarus macOS x86-64 directory. Every Mac computer since late 2006 has been 64 bit capable. The fact that Apple has completely dropped all 32 bit support from macOS 10.15 Catalina (released in October 2019) is another reason to choose the 64 bit packages.

2. Choose the version of Lazarus you wish to install and you will be presented with the FPC binary and source packages to download.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:28:26 am by trev »

trev

• Global Moderator
Omitting Xcode when installing Lazarus 2.0.11 + FPC 3.2.0 in a new Mojave 10.14.6 installation seems to have no side effects. You can probably extrapolate from that to include Catalina and Big Sur. I'm not sure about earlier versions of Lazarus/FPC/macOS - they would need to be tested separately because at some point in the past FPC referenced library files included in Xcode as evidenced by fpc.cfg.

trev

• Global Moderator
Xcode also needs to be installed for Validating and Uploading apps for the App Store, or Notarising apps for distribution outside of the Mac App Store both of which use altool for which there is no CLI equivalent.

AlanTheBeast

@trev - XCode doesn't seem to be needed for my private programming needs.
Next is for the Raspberry Pi 4 which should get here on Monday.

As to the instructions, a link that brings one to the specific page where the source files are would be simpler, but more maintenance in the future, I suppose.

Better would be to have FPC and source all bundled in the Laz distro ... but would be a versions headache perhaps... or have the Laz distro offer the user different options during install?  Perhaps too complicated depending on dependencies...
..Samuel Clemens.

AlanTheBeast

... and do I need XCode itself installed?

It has always been required by FPC, but I haven't checked recently if you can omit it.  Xcode  also has some useful tools like the plist editor and the instruments.app.

No.  I've never needed XCode installed.  XCode Command Line Tools is required, of course.
..Samuel Clemens.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018