Recent

Author Topic: Install Delphi 7 3th party components in Lazarus?  (Read 1158 times)

zzzkkk

Install Delphi 7 3th party components in Lazarus?
« on: January 26, 2021, 09:45:02 pm »
Hello.. I'm totally new in Lazarus.
I read someone saying that it is possible to install, for example, VirtualTreeView and TMS Components in Lazarus, but as far as I know, there is no VirtualTreeView, nor TMS version specific to Lazarus.
How is that possible?
If so, can I convert all the 3th party components installed in my Delphi 7 and install in Lazarus?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:07:41 pm by zzzkkk »

af0815

Re: Install Delphi 7 3th party components in Lazarus?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:02:28 pm »
Look in/for OPM (Online Package Manager). This is the easiest way.

regards
Andreas

wp

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:36:48 pm »
If so, can I convert all the 3th party components installed in my Delphi 7 and install in Lazarus?
Many third-party open source components are available in a Lazarus version, you can find most of them in the Online-Package-Manager that was already mentioned by af0815. Others are scattered in various online repositories.

Commercial Delphi components, however, depend on their manufacturer. When a Lazarus package is provided you probably can use it. When you only have the source you can try to port it yourself - the conversion can be trivial or extremely difficult, in particular when you are trying to achieve cross-platform applicability. If you only have precompiled units for a particular Delphi version you're out of luck. In cases when a Lazarus port is not available you should contact the manufacturer to signal that there is a need for it.

zzzkkk

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:58:35 pm »
Thank you all for the answer.
I just found the Delphi Conversion Package menu and tried something.
The first error was just "Fatal: Conversion aborted"
Now I had an idea as how difficult conversions can be.

balazsszekely

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:00:35 am »
@zzzkkk
As a former delphi user, I suppose you're on windows, which is good since there are a lot of packages available. I also assume that you installed the latest version of Lazarus(Laz 2.0.10/FPC 3.2.0). If yes, then please go to Menu->Package->Online package manager(as others already suggested). Search/install all the packages you need and are available, VirtualTreeView 5.3 is certainly there. If you cannot find a package, please let us know.

PS: TMS is a comercial software, AFAIK Lazarus is partially supported. If you go to https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsfncuipack.asp?s=fncgrid, Lazarus is listed in the "supported IDE list". Also from time to time they do an announcement in the third party section, like this one: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,51854.msg381389.html#msg381389
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:02:16 am by GetMem »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:21:48 am »
Note compatibility with Delphi 7 is source level, not binary level. You will need the third party sources. That said, D7 compatibility is so good that FPC can compile the complete D7 rtl except the system unit. (with some minor issues due to some errors in the D7 sources, mostly missing "; ")
And as indicated above, virtualtreeview is already available.
Specialize a type, not a var.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018