Recent

Author Topic: Delphi-like sugar  (Read 6476 times)

Lightning

Delphi-like sugar
« on: October 20, 2004, 12:49:37 am »
Good interactive help system like Delphi's.
HTML and PDF are good for books but aren't as interactive as Borland Help or MS Compiled Html Help.
Online news.
Maybe an automatic update system in the future.

Lazarus lacks two important features: Help System and Packages.
I hope these features willl be added soon.
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Angello

Delphi-like sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:41:16 pm »
I know (from Vincent), that packages will come with FreePascal 2.0.
Help system (i think) can Not be in microsoft format., because it must be available under all supported patforms.
Did You tried Photoshop 7 ?  - see the help. It`s Html. Nice Search feature also available ;-)

Lightning

Delphi-like sugar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 03:33:09 pm »
Kylix uses the same help system as Delphi but they implemented a viewer for Linux.
There are some OpenSource Help Viewers/Editor and a few are wirtten in ObjectPascal.
I know Packages will be in FPC 2.0 but i really don't understand why does FPC need to support them.
FPC already supports packages but not the way you think, packages are simply OS shared objects or link libraries, the only thing that needs to be implemented is a property and function list inside that OS lib (dll or so) they are run from the Delphi/Kylix/BCB IDE by creating new instances using funcs from the package.
I really don't see what has FPC to do with packages (.bpl) or how they could be made crossplatform, maybe *nix crossplatform but win has a different structure PE instead of ELF.
HTML help would be nice too but it should be made like existing Help systems, F1 on a Button should take the Developer to the TButton part and give information about how to use that component, etc. without having to view the help's index.
Some cvs auto update system should be implemented
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018