Forum > Windows (32/64)

Win-10 64-bit, installed Lazarus ver 2.0.10. Laz can't find FPC source dir.

<< < (2/2)

JohnHerbster:
WP, I think that you are right that there is no need to install FPC separately.  I see an FPC folder in my Lazarus folder (C:\lazarus\fpc) and it includes the "source" folder that was missing when I originally posted.
So now do I have two installations of FPC?  And how should I safely remove the extra FPC (C:\FPC)? I'm going to uninstall Lazarus and the FPC and then reinstall Lazarus in the root of the C-drive.
I think that it is a bug in the Lazarus install that allowed me to install it where it would not work properly.
I much appreciate your help.  Rgds, JH

wp:
Open your Lazarus and look at "Tools" > "Options" > "Files" > "Compiler Executable". Does it list the FPC inside your Lazarus installation? Also look at "FPC Source directory". Does it list either "$(LazarusDir)\fpc\$(FPCVer)\source" or the source folder of the FPC in your Lazarus installation? (The source folder is the one which contains the directories "packages" and "rtl"). If you answer "yes" to both questions then the external FPC in c:\fpc probably is not used. First rename its directory. Restart Lazarus and test if everything works correctly. If yes you can delete the folder. I am quite sure that there is no need to install anything because FPC does not write to the registry.

If "Compiler Executable" and "FPC Source directory" point to the external FPC you can select the FPC which comes with Lazarus here. Type the fpc.exe including its full path into the "Compiler executable" box, and type "$(LazarusDir)\fpc\$(FPCVer)\source" (without quotes) into the "FPC Source Directory" box. Restart Lazarus (maybe not necessary) and just for safety execute "Tools" > "Rescan FPC source directory". Then rename the c:\fpc directory and test working with Lazarus. When you can compile everything you can finally delete c:\fpc like in the former case.

P.S.
I forgot to mention the debugger. I don't know where it is when fpc is installed separately. The one coming with Lazarus is in the folder mingw and the corresponding subfolder of the Lazarus installation. You can check this with "Tools" > "Options" > "Debugger"; the exe is listed in one of the edit boxes here (depends on Laz version). Make sure that it lists the one in the Lazarus folder if you want to delete the c:\fpc folder.

JohnHerbster:
WP, Many thanks.  Your hints are good.  I had already uninstalled Lazarus and the extra FPC and reinstalled Lazarus.  everything and it looks good.  I have just recompiled and run some test programs from a few years ago w/o a hitch.

I have just found https://wiki.freepascal.org/ and I am checking out
https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+delphi+project+to+lazarus
I am sure to have more questions later.

PS: I had started checking out Lazarus in 2017, just before the Hurricane Harvey/Corps of Engineers flood swept through our neighborhood and stopped my programming.  Now, I find that I can't stand to live in retirement w/o being able to do some custom data processing and writing simulation programs.  As an old Delphi expert and Team B member, I really appreciate the work that you volunteers have put into FPC and Lazarus. -JH

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: wp on January 18, 2021, 03:05:14 pm ---Restart Lazarus and test if everything works correctly. If yes you can delete the folder. I am quite sure that there is no need to install anything because FPC does not write to the registry.
--- End quote ---

It nevertheless has an installation entry, thus the folder should not be removed, but uninstalled to avoid zombies in Windows' installation database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version