Recent

Author Topic: FTP server not responding  (Read 2803 times)

Retro

FTP server not responding
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:39:57 pm »
Hello,

The FTP server where the free pascal documentation is stored is not responding...

ftp://FTP.FreePascal.org/

...could someone please fix this!

Thanks in advanced

MarkMLl

Re: FTP server not responding
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 10:55:12 pm »
Confirmed, immediate failure:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ftp.freepascal.org

From the command line says "Connection refused".

Ping works.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Retro

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:11:57 pm »
Confirmed, immediate failure:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ftp.freepascal.org

From the command line says "Connection refused".

Ping works.

MarkMLl

While you are correct that I am using Firefox, I was able to go to the FTP site using Firefox before.  I am now using the latest version 84.0.2.

This is what appears when trying to connect to the FTP server using Firefox:

>
> Unable to connect
>
> Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at ftp.freepascal.org.
>

I used FileZilla to connect to the FTP server, and this is what I get in the status window:

> Status:   Waiting to retry...
> Status:   Resolving address of ftp.freepascal.org
> Status:   Connecting to 193.224.143.39:21...
> Status:   Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
> Error:   Could not connect to server

Please advise.

Thanks

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:00 pm »
The IP pings, but ssh and ftp don't work.  I suspect some trouble with the relevant VM.

MarkMLl

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:21:08 am »
While you are correct that I am using Firefox, I was able to go to the FTP site using Firefox before.  I am now using the latest version 84.0.2.

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn what you're using. That was confirmation for Marco et al. that somebody else could replicate the problem from elsewhere, which is SOP for this sort of thing in most environments.

MarkMLl

Retro

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 05:16:54 pm »

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn what you're using. That was confirmation for Marco et al. that somebody else could replicate the problem from elsewhere, which is SOP for this sort of thing in most environments.

MarkMLl

Sorry if I annoyed you, I thought you were implying that it was an issue with Firefox that was causing the problem.

The issue is still happening.  Does anyone know who to contact to tell them to reboot the server? That most likely will correct the problem.

MarkMLl

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 05:35:51 pm »
Sorry, wasn't meaning to cause offence but if something like that happens the first thing that's needed is for somebody else (different physical location) to confirm.

Marco's involved, and if the problem is persisting it almost certainly means that he can't raise the "duty operator" :-)

MarkMLl

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:05 pm »
I see Google has now removed support for FTP in its browser... FTP's days are nunbered.

(Yes, ftp.freepascal.org is still not allowing connections.)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:36 am »

OK Retro, trying to keep you productive while this problem is being fixed, you can still look at the HTML versions of the FPC Docs.  If you really need PDFs, then I have local copies here, not that new but they don't change that much recently. I'd be happy to put them somewhere you can grab them if that will help ?

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Retro

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 07:38:34 am »

OK Retro, trying to keep you productive while this problem is being fixed, you can still look at the HTML versions of the FPC Docs.  If you really need PDFs, then I have local copies here, not that new but they don't change that much recently. I'd be happy to put them somewhere you can grab them if that will help ?

Davo

What I am looking for is a complete set of instructions for Free Pascal and Lazarus that are easily searchable in easy chunks like you find in a collection of .PDF files.  I do not think that it is easy to search a bazillion individual .HTML web pages.  I am not happy with the .CHM files that are included in the Lazarus installation due to the file format (.CHM), not the content.  In my opinion it is difficult to find things in .CHM files.

Also, I do not think that there are .PDF files documenting Lazarus.  If that is correct, then why are there no .PDF documents for Lazarus?

At the moment I am limping along with the .CHM files.  So, for now, I will not put you through the effort of putting your copy of the not up to date .PDFs somewhere on the net.  I am willing to wait for the .PDF files if it will take no longer than five more days since I am a patient person. Do you expect that it will take more time then five days to resolve the FTP server issue? For good measure, could you supply a complete list of links to all of the Table of Contents for each Free Pascal and Lazarus .HTML documents? That might offer me, and others, the possibility to search the documents using a web search engine.

Thanks for the productive assistance Davo  :)

Retro

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 06:44:39 pm »
Hello,

The FTP server where the free pascal documentation is stored is not responding...

ftp://FTP.FreePascal.org/

Thanks in advanced

Hey!!  The FTP server is back up and running.  Issue resolved!  Thanks to whoever reset the server!

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 01:03:00 am »
For good measure, could you supply a complete list of links to all of the Table of Contents for each Free Pascal and Lazarus .HTML documents? That might offer me, and others, the possibility to search the documents using a web search engine.

I find searching the Lazarus Wiki the best way to find out about the various Lazarus components.  The built in wiki search engine is not great but you can search google using a term like :

Code: [Select]
site:https://wiki.freepascal.org    some search term
But quite a lot of components are not documented or are poorly done, do consider adding things as you find them out.  I use the chm viewer as well, its necessary to close it after every use because re-viewing it introduces steadily increasing delays. If it was closed, it pops up quite quickly. Strange but true.

And, yep, much thanks to whoever has fixed the ftp server, lots of work happens there and its rarely acknowledged....

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 06:06:16 pm »

At the moment I am limping along with the .CHM files.  So, for now, I will not put you through the effort of putting your copy of the not up to date .PDFs somewhere on the net.  I am willing to wait for the .PDF files if it will take no longer than five more days since I am a patient person. Do you expect that it will take more time then five days to resolve the FTP server issue? For good measure, could you supply a complete list of links to all of the Table of Contents for each Free Pascal and Lazarus .HTML documents? That might offer me, and others, the possibility to search the documents using a web search engine.

Note that the CHMs are nearly html with some indexes. A program to extract them is included in the FPC distribution (chmls)

Retro

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 10:42:58 pm »

Note that the CHMs are nearly html with some indexes. A program to extract them is included in the FPC distribution (chmls)

Thanks for the tip.  I found the executable: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.0\bin\i386-win32\chmls.exe  and the source: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.0\source\packages\chm\src\chmls.lpr

TinyPortal © 2005-2018