Recent

Author Topic: Installation problems on Ubuntu 20.0.4 (Ubuntu Studio)  (Read 2443 times)

TristamShandy

Installation problems on Ubuntu 20.0.4 (Ubuntu Studio)
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:11:52 pm »
I program, but also deal somewhat in video and sound, so I thought Ubuntu Studio was a good fit for me. The version of Ubuntu I am using has been upgraded to 20.04.1 LTS on a 64-bit computer. I have tried several ways of doing this, whether through apt-get, or downloading the .deb package from the Lazarus website. In all cases, I am getting package clashes, with warnings that Lazarus be uninstalled. The fpc compiler that is installed without error is apprarently not the right version required for Lazarus, with the right version being deemed "not installable" by my package manager. Also, there were other libraries that could not be installed. Installing the package "lazarus-ide" through apt defaults to version 2.0.6+dfsg-3.

The Pascal compiler that is there now is version 3.0.4+dfsg-23. Currently, according to my system log (dpkg.log), its status is "half-installed". It is possible that it is not the default version and might have been installed with Lazarus. I used dpkg after doing the install through the normal "Software" app provided by Ubuntu failed.

Of course, there is always the source, but that was not compilable either. The error messages seen by this compile were the same errors as with every other version I have tried, going back to version 1 and forward to 2.0.10. Both "make all" and "makde bigide" (after a "make clean") yielded:

Code: [Select]
make -C packager/registration
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/paul/src/Lazarus/2.0.6/packager/registration'
/usr/bin/rm -f ../units/x86_64-linux/fcllaz.ppu
/usr/bin/ppcx64 -MObjFPC -Scghi -O1 -g -gl -l -vewnhibq -Fu. -FE. -FU../units/x86_64-linux -Cg -dx86_64 fcllaz.pas
Hint: (11030) Start of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg
Hint: (11031) End of reading config file /etc/fpc.cfg
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.4+dfsg-23 [2019/11/25] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2017 by Florian Klaempfl and others
(1002) Target OS: Linux for x86-64
(3104) Compiling fcllaz.pas
/home/paul/src/Lazarus/2.0.6/packager/registration/fcllaz.pas(11,3) Fatal: (10022) Can't find unit db used by fcllaz
Fatal: (1018) Compilation aborted
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2911: fcllaz.ppu] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/paul/src/Lazarus/2.0.6/packager/registration'
make: *** [Makefile:3361: registration] Error 2
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:49:17 pm by TristamShandy »

MarkMLl

Re: Installation problems on Ubuntu 20.0.4 (Ubuntu Studio)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:22:49 pm »
I'm a Debian user rather than an Ubuntu user, so I strongly suggest listening to somebody else. Having said that, I thought it worth saying that "I feel your pain" :-)

My usual way of doing things is to eschew the prepackaged .debs, install FPC as a tarball downloaded from this site, and then compile up Lazarus from scratch.

But as I say, I recognise that that is probably not the "right way" these days, and I anticipate a sterne ticking off for suggesting it.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

TristamShandy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 08:47:03 pm »
Compiling from scratch was tried; several versions going from 2.0.10 down to about 1.8. The output of that compile attempt is in the "code" snippet above (which is really just the console output). Also tried both "make bigide" and "make all" each time.

MarkMLl

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:18:26 pm »
Well, as I've said I'd be starting with a tarball downloaded from this site. But I'm not getting into a debate regarding precisely which version of Lazarus matches FPC 3.2.0- which is the current version of the compiler, which is what you're /not/ using- right now.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

devEric69

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:09:23 pm »
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. make: *** [Makefile:3361: registration] Error 2

So, installing Lazarus + fpc can be complicated when we are newbie with Lazarus + fpc... For information, fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-linux is an excellent installer, with a GUI: people have thought a lot, before having created such a result. Hence my advice: remove everything that has been installed, and then re-test with fpcupdeluxe.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:11:00 pm by devEric69 »
use: Linux 64 bits (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

TristamShandy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 11:39:57 pm »
Well, as I've said I'd be starting with a tarball downloaded from this site. But I'm not getting into a debate regarding precisely which version of Lazarus matches FPC 3.2.0- which is the current version of the compiler, which is what you're /not/ using- right now.

MarkMLl

The install went quite a bit better with FPC from the tarball, although the sources are missing. I understand they are supposeed to be in fpc-3.2.0-x86_64-linux.tar with everything else, but I didn't get the sources. I found this out after successfully compiling Lazarus 2.0.10. Running it from the binary image without installing, it could not find /usr/share/fpcsrc/3.2.0 (and on inspection, it didn't exist). FPC was installed with all defaults, using sudo, as in: sudo ./install.sh

If I follow devEric69's advice to uninstall everything related to the old binaries, then I think the damage is done, since the install script doesn't appear to have an uninstall option. The shorter path appears to be to work with what I have and find the sources and plunk them into /usr/share/fpcsrc/3.2.0 -- where are the sources on their own?

I ran Lazarus without these sources, and the IDE ran with warnings.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:41:35 pm by TristamShandy »

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:19 am »
I believe that when installing FPC from the tarball, its better not to do the install stage at all. Its not necessary and because the install script puts files in a number of root accessible locations, its hard to reverse. 

So, untar the compiler and the source into a suitable location in user space, I keep mine in ~/bin/FPC and set a path to there. It works fine and is very easy to update/replace when you feel like it.  Its documented at

https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_the_Free_Pascal_Compiler#FPC_Tar_Balls

There a few steps involved but its not hard and quite reliable as longs as you set your path to the new FPC to appear before places like /usr/bin  I have an old version of FPC3.0.4 still installed (from unbuntu official repository) but its ignored in favour of the one in /home/dbannon/bin/FPC/fpc-3.2.0/bin

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Jurassic Pork

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 12:18:20 am »
hello,
i have  installed  lazarus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with fpcupdeluxe.
Friendly, J.P
Jurassic computer : Sinclair ZX81 - Zilog Z80A à 3,25 MHz - RAM 1 Ko - ROM 8 Ko

AL

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 03:39:14 am »
hello,
i have  installed  lazarus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with fpcupdeluxe.
Friendly, J.P
Same here,  but I had to install some missing Lib
Laz 3.1, fpc 3.2.2, Win10
Laz 3.1  fpc 3.2.2, MacOS Monterey running on VMWare/Win 10
Laz 3.1  fpc 3.2.2 Ubuntu 20.04

TristamShandy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 03:56:57 am »
It appears as though simply plunking the source code into the directory it wanted (using sudo) did the trick, and Lazarus is running without warnings.

A big clue came from dbannon, who suggested the link
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_the_Free_Pascal_Compiler#FPC_Tar_Balls

On this web page, was the following wget command, which I executed:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Source/3.2.0/fpc-3.2.0.source.tar.gz

Under /usr/share/fpcsrc
I executed a tar command
sudo tar xvf fpc-3.2.0.source.tar.gz
sudo ln -s fpc-3.2.0 3.2.0

... and all seems to run perfectly. I ran the command from the console, and no errors or warnings were seen.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 04:04:22 am »
I would prefer to see FPC down in user space but if that has worked for you, all good.

However, do, please make sure that Lazarus is built (and not installed) in user space. It greatly simplifies your life !

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TristamShandy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 04:19:20 am »
while FPC is installed deep into the OS, Lazarus was in fact compiled in user space (under ~/src/Lazarus/current/) and never really installed. All I did was symlink the binary from ~/src/Lazarus/current/lazarus to my ~/bin directory. Works fine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018