Forum > GTK

GTK2 is now EOL :(

(1/3) > >>

trev:

--- Quote ---GTK 4 is now stable, and we consider it ready for consumption. That does not mean GTK 3 is dead – we will continue to support and update it for the foreseeable future (the latest release, 3.24.24, quietly went out a few days ago). It does mean, however, that GTK 2 has reached the end of its life. We will do one final 2.x release in the coming days, and we encourage everybody to port their GTK 2 applications to GTK 3 or 4.
--- End quote ---

Source: https://blog.gtk.org/2020/12/16/gtk-4-0/

marcov:
The question is if GTK3 is really ready.

Both stability, and design suitability to use it as a backend (as opposed to implementing native GUIs in GTK3).

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: marcov on January 12, 2021, 01:58:00 pm ---The question is if GTK3 is really ready.
--- End quote ---

Considering that the devs are now concentrating on GTK4, GTK3 should be rather stable in terms of API changes. And for example GIMP is working on moving over as well.

--- Quote from: marcov on January 12, 2021, 01:58:00 pm ---Both stability, and design suitability to use it as a backend (as opposed to implementing native GUIs in GTK3).

--- End quote ---

There have been some improvements for GTK3 support in the LCL this past year so maybe one should try that and report bugs then...

dbannon:
Might require you to define EOL ?

It works as well today as it did yesterday.  It will be shipped with most major distros for some time (putting aside that short term Ubuntu that did ship without it a few releases ago).  Debian Bullseye, the next release, and Ubuntu 20.04, due in April, both appear to have GTK2 at this stage. At some point in time, end users will need to install their own GTK2, ~200Meg, but even thats not too hard.

But I am focusing on Qt5 ....

Davo

Jurassic Pork:
hello,
on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS i have a project for image processing. When i use gtk2 as LCL widgetset i have some error messages at run time :

--- Quote ---~/Lazarus/Projets/Test_Jipete$ ./project1 titre 2
Gtk-Message: 13:32:49.621: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(project1:3993): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:32:51.031: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:1282: no emission of signal "key-release-event" to stop for instance '0x2628350'
~/Lazarus/Projets/Test_Jipete$
--- End quote ---
but the program works.  With gtk3 no error messages and the program works. I am not sure in Lazarus  that gtk3 is ready for all the components ? is it true?   QT5 seems to be a good alternative and multiplateform.

Friendly, J.P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version