Forum > Windows

Windows API test programs / Examples

<< < (2/12) > >>

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: 440bx on January 09, 2021, 12:01:23 am ---The programming / os / win does sound like it would be the best suited forum.  I estimate that I have somewhere between 700 and 800 examples/test programs.

--- End quote ---
700 topics would mean anyone just browsing the board would see nothing else.
Even 140 (700 div 5) is way too much (unless they really all attract big exchange of messages).

--- Quote from: 440bx on January 09, 2021, 12:01:23 am ---The reason I thought about doing one post per API was to make it easy to find.  I would title each post along the lines of "Win API example - api name" which I believe would make it easy to find using the forum's search engine.  Combining multiple APIs into one post could make finding the example for a specific API more difficult for the interested party.

--- End quote ---
An idea would be to have on overview topic, in which to post the name and link (to the post inside a thread) for each example. That would help finding them. You can keep that topic locked, so only you can write to it (you may need to unlock it to edit it, not sure).
(It may need updating, if topics need to be split/merged)

Each post in a topic can have a modified subject.

If a specific example takes on an extraordinary amount of discussion, then you can pm me, and I can split the topic.

--- Quote from: 440bx on January 09, 2021, 12:01:23 am ---I don't find the repositories attractive because they are very static.  The great advantage of the forum is that they are interactive, every one can participate either with questions, suggestions and/or improvements. 

--- End quote ---

Well you can disable all feedback on github, and include a readme that points to the forum as place for discussion.

440bx:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 09, 2021, 12:16:25 am ---700 topics would mean anyone just browsing the board would see nothing else.
Even 140 (700 div 5) is way too much (unless they really all attract big exchange of messages).

--- End quote ---
that's definitely a valid concern, which is why I thought about limiting the number of posts to a maximum of 5 per day, to avoid "drowning" other posts in the target forum.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 09, 2021, 12:16:25 am ---An idea would be to have on overview topic, in which to post the name and link (to the post inside a thread) for each example. That would help finding them. You can keep that topic locked, so only you can write to it (you may need to unlock it to edit it, not sure).
(It may need updating, if topics need to be split/merged)

--- End quote ---
I figured we could try 5 posts a day in a particular forum (the one you suggested sounds very appropriate) and if that creates a problem then address whatever problem arises (if any) with a solution tailored for it.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 09, 2021, 12:16:25 am ---Well you can disable all feedback on github, and include a readme that points to the forum as place for discussion.

--- End quote ---
That is a possibility but, since the examples would be on github (or some other repo) it would result in a lack of context (the API in one place - the repo - and, its discussion in another - the forums here.) 

I believe the greatest value is obtained by open discussions on the topic in one place.

Anyway, at least so far, it doesn't seem like there is much interest in the examples.  IOW, so far, it's a non-problem. <chuckle>

trev:
> Anyway, at least so far, it doesn't seem like there is much interest in the examples.

Build it and they will come :) Seriously, your examples sound like valuable content that should be preserved for posterity and shared with the Pascal populace.

In my past experience, relying on a Forum for longevity of preservation does not work. While I don't expect this Forum to disappear which has happened to me in the past with JAL, I've seen Forum software changes in the past which have "lost" the previous content, but perhaps the biggest disadvantage is that the content becomes scattered and hard to find once it's been buried in several hundred/thousand posts.

The Wiki is a good place to collect the examples and document them. Discussion can then be either linked back to the Forum (as is already done in some cases) or held on the Discussion page assuming there's an Overview page which lists them all with links to each one on its own page. Yes, it sounds like work :) I could help.

Anyway, what you do is, of course, up to you.

lucamar:
I was thinking about this (and yes, I'm also very interested: I'm almost completely out of touch with the Windows API :-[) and it really sounds as a subject for a whole (if small) new site.

The problem, as Martin said already, is that here it would be easy to "drown" other posts under yours (unless it's just one or a few topics listing related examples), more so in any of the "specialties" boards which see relatively little traffic.

Of course, builiding a whole new site has its own problems too (mainly that "someone" has to maintain it ;)) but it might be worth at least thinking about it: "Pascal and the WAPI!"

But however you do it (if you do it) I'll surely collect both the examples and any discussion about them. Would be a nice addition to my Pascal "'ciclopedic notes"*

* ... so called; really just a bunch of badly organized text files, saved web pages, zipped examples,etc. :-X

440bx:

--- Quote from: trev on January 09, 2021, 02:00:37 am ---Build it and they will come :)

--- End quote ---
I think you're quite right about that.  I'm going to prepare a few "teaser" examples in the next few days.  That might raise interest.  "Seeing is coveting"  ;)

--- Quote from: trev on January 09, 2021, 02:00:37 am ---In my past experience, relying on a Forum for longevity of preservation does not work.  <snip>  perhaps the biggest disadvantage is that the content becomes scattered and hard to find once it's been buried in several hundred/thousand posts.

--- End quote ---
I'm not concerned about the longevity.  I presume that if members find the examples useful they will be remain, if not they'll be dropped or archived away as they eventually should be.

--- Quote from: trev on January 09, 2021, 02:00:37 am ---The Wiki is a good place to collect the examples and document them. Discussion can then be either linked back to the Forum (as is already done in some cases) or held on the Discussion page assuming there's an Overview page which lists them all with links to each one on its own page. Yes, it sounds like work :) I could help.

--- End quote ---
I definitely appreciate the offer to help, particularly considering that I'm not particularly good at structuring and formatting text.  I'm much better at casual explanations (like those found in forum posts. ;) )

--- Quote from: trev on January 09, 2021, 02:00:37 am ---Anyway, what you do is, of course, up to you.

--- End quote ---
Thank you, my "greatest" concern is to ensure I don't disrupt the smooth operation of the forum by, for instance, "drowning" other posts.

--- Quote from: lucamar on January 09, 2021, 02:24:34 am ---I was thinking about this (and yes, I'm also very interested:

--- End quote ---
Adding one (1) to the "interested count". :)

--- Quote from: lucamar on January 09, 2021, 02:24:34 am ---Of course, builiding a whole new site has its own problems too (mainly that "someone" has to maintain it ;))

--- End quote ---
I just don't have the talent nor ability to format a bunch of text.  My artistic abilities are at the low end of the Kelvin scale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version