Forum > Suggestions

[Problem solved] Wish: stop the race after Delphi

(1/13) > >>

funlw65:
I would like that freepascal + lazarus to go to pit stop for a while and solve all the problems the compiler and lcl components have.

I get occasional program crashes under Linux, no matter which pascal version, with both gtk2 and qt5, and just using the standard lazarus components, no custom components, no dynamic memory allocations, etc. So random crashes are a common thing. At compilation time I get warnings only about UnicodeString to AnsiString conversions.

I chose lazarus for the amazing user interface and freepascal for the ability to work with strings in a more natural manner compared with C. I'll look for another tool...

Edit: memory leaks proved to be my fault!

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: funlw65 on December 27, 2020, 12:30:47 pm ---At compilation time I get warnings only about UnicodeString to AnsiString conversions.
--- End quote ---

If you get warnings about UnicodeString <-> AnsiString conversions, then you should check your code, cause these warnings are there for a reason.

Also we're not racing after Delphi, we're racing after bug reports we have and these might include requests for features that derive from Delphi.

funlw65:
Well these come from using units like DOM, XMLRead and code like this one:

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---v_cb_sampling_idx_uart5 := strtoint(PassNode.FirstChild.NodeValue);
Not my code...

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: funlw65 on December 27, 2020, 12:30:47 pm ---I would like that freepascal + lazarus to go to pit stop for a while and solve all the problems the compiler and lcl components have.

I get occasional program crashes under Linux, no matter which pascal version, with both gtk2 and qt5, and just using the standard lazarus components, no custom components, no dynamic memory allocations, etc. So random crashes are a common thing. At compilation time I get warnings only about UnicodeString to AnsiString conversions.

--- End quote ---

I echo your sentiment but my experience is that crashes are generally the result of something in my code rather than in the LCL etc.

I've got a lot of tricky legacy stuff which is heavily multithreaded, and not only is that sort of thing notoriously difficult to get right but it's very easy to write assuming certain things about e.g. a particular version of Delphi which no longer hold at some point in the future.

MarkMLl

Handoko:

--- Quote from: funlw65 on December 27, 2020, 12:30:47 pm ---I get occasional program crashes under Linux, no matter which pascal version, with both gtk2 and qt5 ...

--- End quote ---

I don't use Qt5 interface. But I've been using Lazarus on Ubuntu for more than 10 years. I do not write corporate class software, I just write simple games and tools. They just work correctly, no crash. Well actually, they crashed several times. But after some inspections, those were my own faults.

Lazarus and Free Pascal are not as bad as you thought. If you have issue with it, post it here. Tell us what are the steps to make it crash and don't forget to provide the compile-able source code. We will help you fix it. If you are not willing to publicize your project, you can write a demo that show the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version