Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

Installing on older MAC laptop

(1/7) > >>

jcdammeyer:
First of all I never use MACs so I know very little about them. 
I went through the process of installing the lazarus, fpc and fpc src .dmg files.
I can run Lazarus but when I try and compile even the simplest sample project like bitbutton I get the following error:
/Developer/lazarus/packager/registration/lazaruspackageintf.pas(70,27) Fatal:  There were 1 errors compiling this module, stopping. 

I suspect I did the install in the wrong order or something isn't quite right but I have no clue where to look.  Using the terminal I can see that what appear to be the correct folders in /usr/... 

Would someone perhaps hold my hand and walk me through the fix?

To make matters even more embarrassing the reason I'm setting this up on my wife's old MAC is a friend wants to run a few of my Lazarus applications for LED light control.  He has a MAC.  I pointed him to the web site and he installed and even compiled a sample program.  And he doesn't know how to program in C or Pascal. 

Clearly I screwed up.  Help!
Thanks
John

mischi:
Can you tell us the versions of your system, fpc and lazarus?

Are you familiar with commands in a Terminal?

MiSchi.

jcdammeyer:
I've installed and created applications on BeagleBone Blacks and Raspberry Pi with Lazarus.  And of course lots of Delphi and now a few applications using Lazarus on Win-10.  So I know my way around (a bit) in the Linux terminal.

The Lazarus About screen shows:
Lazarus 1.0.12 Date 2013-08-24
FPC 2.6.2
i386-darwin-carbon

The MAC is running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB Memory

On the MAC deskop I have three desktop Icons for Lazarus, fpc and fpcsrc.  A double click on each one opens a folder with an icon for lazarus.pkg.  The fpc-2.6.2 opens up a folder with two packages. Intelmaxosx and fpc-xcode.  The fpcsrc icon opens up the folder with just the fpcsrc pkg.

trev:
Installing Lazarus on a Mac is not particularly difficult but it is critical that you do the install in the correct order. Skipping steps will almost certainly end in tears. In brief, here is what you need to do:

1. Download and install Xcode.
2. Install the global command line tools for Xcode.
3. Download and install the Free Pascal Compiler (FPC) binaries and the FPC source from the Lazarus IDE file area (Important do this before you install the Lazarus IDE)
4. Download and install the Lazarus IDE from the Lazarus IDE file area
5. Configure LLDB - the Apple supplied (and signed) debugger from within the Lazarus IDE.

These steps are explained in more detail in the Wiki article Installing Lazarus on macOS.

jcdammeyer:
Hi Trev,
Thank you. Unfortunately that's not particularly helpful. 
I'm pretty sure I did do it in the wrong order.  Following the links you posted I believe the best thing to do is  uninstall it and try again.
But first, just for interest sake I did try to install each of the packages in order of fpc, fpcsrc and then lazarus.  Once again the install went without issue.  But, this time building the sample bitbutton it failed at a different place:
  bitbtnform.pp(334,36)
  Label2.Caption := 'blGlyphBottom';

So then back to the links you posted to uninstall the software.  Unfortunately 'fink' returns a command not found.  No idea how to install fink to uninstall the lazarus tool chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version