Recent

Author Topic: Dialog(ue) editor  (Read 644 times)

MarkMLl

Dialog(ue) editor
« on: December 08, 2020, 01:30:22 pm »
With reference to the extended discussion at https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,18998.0.html I've just uploaded the final version of Jim Clark's dialogue editor to GitHub since I suspected that I had the last extant copy of dialedit3b.zip

https://github.com/MarkMLl/Dialedit3b

I am not undertaking to maintain this, but would note that with minor changes it's usable with FPC.

MarkMLl
Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN and graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.

FlierMate

Re: Dialog(ue) editor
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:26:46 pm »
This is an interesting project.

I can run its DialEdit.exe, but cannot build the project....especially this part:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. { The methodology here is not supported by Virtual Pascal. }
  2. procedure TTrialDialog.SnapPicture(AShow, APattern: word);
  3. type
  4.     TScreen = array [0..49, 0..79, 0..1] of char;
  5. var
  6. {$IFNDEF VPASCAL}
  7.     Screen: TScreen absolute $B800:0;
  8. {$ENDIF}

As I remember FPC does not allow absolute memory address (0xB800:0 for screen buffer direct access), as it complains "Syntax error: ";" expected but ":" found....

I have many old TP sources use the same direct video memory access but all could not be compiled by FPC. I'd be glad if this can be solved.

FPC 3.2.0 on i386-Win32.

MarkMLl

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:04:14 pm »
The stuff I put on Github was very much "as received" since I think I might have the last surviving copy, I'd rather not mnagle it in situ for precisely that reason.

I have successfully used it on Linux in the past and found that only a handful of changes were needed. I'll take a look and post more in the morning.

I've long felt that something that both Linux and FPC lacked was the sort of dialogue/form editor that Visual Basic for DOS had in the early 1990s.

MarkMLl

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:17:36 pm »
As I remember FPC does not allow absolute memory address (0xB800:0 for screen buffer direct access), as it complains "Syntax error: ";" expected but ":" found....

Afaik it does work fine on targets that are dos in strict TP mode (-Mtp)

MarkMLl

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:57:26 pm »
You guys really are slave drivers :-)

I'm seeing what I can turn up, but my notes indicate that I ran the editor on Windows (even though the generated file was used on Linux) and for the moment I can't say what compiler I used... judging by the dates I think I simply ran the .exe that came with it on a sacrificial system without trying to recompile it.

Slightly later: the .exe file embeds "Virtual Pascal - Copyright (C) 1996-2000 vpascal.com".

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:18:11 pm by MarkMLl »

FlierMate

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »
I've long felt that something that both Linux and FPC lacked was the sort of dialogue/form editor that Visual Basic for DOS had in the early 1990s.

MarkMLl

Indeed. Thank you for the kind effort for uploading this. I will try to make it usable in modern Pascal.
Sorry for this late reply as I thought would only reply if I have solid progress.
FPC 3.2.0 on i386-Win32.

MarkMLl

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:40:28 pm »

Indeed. Thank you for the kind effort for uploading this. I will try to make it usable in modern Pascal.
Sorry for this late reply as I thought would only reply if I have solid progress.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but my TV/FV experience is extremely limited.

MarkMLl

FlierMate

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:42:35 pm »
I'm seeing what I can turn up, but my notes indicate that I ran the editor on Windows (even though the generated file was used on Linux)..........
Slightly later: the .exe file embeds "Virtual Pascal - Copyright (C) 1996-2000 vpascal.com".

MarkMLl

Yes, the EXEs that comes with DialEdit3b.zip is 16-bit programs which can still be run on 32-bit Windows with additional NTVDM (Virtual DOS machine) feature enabled.
FPC 3.2.0 on i386-Win32.

FlierMate

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 12:43:04 pm »

No worries.... I will try my best.
FPC 3.2.0 on i386-Win32.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018