Recent

Author Topic: Upgrading trunk: "The prefix of the ... installation is required"  (Read 2899 times)

MarkMLl

Re: Upgrading trunk: "The prefix of the ... installation is required"
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
I can confirm that there is no problem if the compiler version is rolled back to 3.0.4.
I was unable to reproduce the issue on my Linux VM (fresh checkout of lazarus trunk, fpc 3.2.0).
Bart

In that case one of us is "doing it wrong". I was using a recently-built 3.2.0 (after I realised that my fpc binary was wrong) and had got a fresh Lazarus trunk from svn. There's definitely a problem in there, and even if it's only expressing itself on my system (due to my particular filesystem layout, or my root/user split) the real issue is that there's not enough diagnostics in the output to show what's going wrong and why.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

MarkMLl

Re: Upgrading trunk: "The prefix of the ... installation is required"
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:06 pm »
This is based on Lazarus trunk revision 64085 and FPC 3.2.0. That particular revision was chosen since later revisions are (currently?) not compilable with 3.0.4 and I anticipated that I might need a working IDE to debug this issue.

To progress past the initial setup dialogue with Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2.0, (a recent) fpcmkcfg has to be on the path, and the "right answer" appears to be an fppkg.cfg file which has to be writeable (its modified timestamp is changed the first time the IDE starts). For example /usr/local/src_fpc/fpcbuild-3.2.0/fpcsrc/utils/fpcmkcfg/fppkg.cfg which the IDE can't locate by itself even if it has been told where the FPC sources are.

The IDE now appears to create a ~/.config/fppkg.cfg even if execution is qualified with a --pcp option, if this file is removed it is recreated the next time the IDE is run. These two .cfg files do not have the same content.

I think there are aspects of this which could do with being tidied up. In particular (a) starting Lazarus shouldn't update anything in the FPC source directory and (b) the working fppkg.cfg should be subject to the --pcp option.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

TinyPortal © 2005-2018