Recent

Author Topic: The new Lazarus Bible is there  (Read 38516 times)

Robert W.B.

• Love my Wife, My Kids and Lazarus/Freepascal.
Re: The new Lazarus Bible is there
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 09:49:26 am »
Thank you. Your order has been received.

Order number:-
Date: 24th October 2020
Email: -
Total: € 54.50
Payment method: -
Payment completed by Robert Blennerhed

Thanks for the book.
Best regards
Bob from Sweden
Rob

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 11:59:52 am »
That's a big book. :o Remembers me the Pascal book by Luís Joyanes Aguilar, an insane tome hard to manage.  I hope this Lazarus Bible is as useful as Luís' one.
Which one?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Luis+Joyanes+Aguilar&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
The one I read was a newer version of this one.  He dropped any reference to Turbo Pascal and added a few examples using Lazarus' LCL, but focuses in Free Pascal:
https://www.amazon.com/Programacion-Pascal-Ed-Precio-Dolares/dp/B00C4V7X6C/ref=sr_1_53?dchild=1&keywords=Luis+Joyanes+Aguilar&qid=1603533263&sr=8-53

Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 09:48:22 am »
A paperback version is now available, too: https://twitter.com/SciPasTips/status/1320090433029111809
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

GypsyPrince

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 06:51:42 am »
My paperback version just arrived today, almost 2 months after ordering it on September 12.
It was shipped to the U.S., so that was understandable. Originally, I was upset because of the immense length of time between when the handbook was first announced and when it was actually published.

However, after receiving my copy and viewing the amazing quality and brevity of the content inside, I now understand why it took so long to get it to market. It is definitely worth the wait.

I would like to say bravo to all those involved with the handbook's publication and production. It is truly an amazing product and reference.

nachoap

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 12:16:14 pm »
I've received my paper book less than a week after I've bought it. And I live in Spain. Really fast!

Thank you very much!

PJW

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 02:37:17 am »
I'm happy to announce that half of the profit goes to the Free Pascal and Lazarus foundation https://foundation.freepascal.org/.

Frankly speaking, I would rather prefer to pay half the current price for the book and decide on my own if, when, and how much to give to the foundation.

As it is, they are too pricey for me. I mean, 50 eur. for a PDF, same as for the softcover? :o

Please note that it's half the PROFITS, not half the purchase price.   I suspect that foregoing the donation to FPLF would probably only lower the price by a Euro or two.

GypsyPrince

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 06:33:22 am »
@lucamar

Frankly speaking, I would rather prefer to pay half the current price for the book and decide on my own if, when, and how much to give to the foundation.

So, you want to only purchase the book and determine on your own how much (if any at all) to give to the foundation... without which there would not be a book for you to purchase to begin with.

You want to pay only enough to cover the cost of the food you eat, and want to decide if you help pay the mortgage and utility bills of the restaurant which serves you that food.

Think about that for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:08:46 pm by GypsyPrince »

lucamar

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:44 am »
Since it's *not* PJW whom you're quoting but I ...

So, you want to only purchase the book and determine on your own how much (if any at all) to give to the foundation... without which there would not be a book for you to purchase to begin with.

You want to pay only enough to cover the cost of the food you eat, and want to decide if you help pay the mortgage and utility bills of the restaurant which serves you that food.

Think about that for a bit.

I don't need to think about it, I already did. Was it really the foundation who wrote the book? I have the impression that it was some people who wrote it and, as with any book I buy, I'm perfectly willing to pay its authors whatever part of the book's price it represents.

The same with the restaurant: I'm completely aware that the prices I pay don't go only to buy the food. What I wouldn't like is that what is normally a 20 eur, meal would cost me 40 eur. because "half goes to some charity the owner is very fond of". I very much prefer to decide which charities, foundations, and what not get my money, how much of that money they get and that they get it directly from me.

It would be different if BPM said: "This book is normally and fairly priced but we want you to know that we, out of our own heart, will give half of our proceeds to the FPF". But that's not what is happening, is it? Because then they wouldn't sell you a PDF at the same price that a softcover.

But, of course, all that is my personal preference; YMMV As I, myself, you're perfectly free to think whatever you want.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

GypsyPrince

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »
The Lazarus Foundation produces the Lazarus software, without which, there would not be the Lazarus handbook you are purchasing. Just as the restaurant prepares the meal you order to ingest...

No financial support/donations => No Lazarus Foundation => No Lazarus Software => No Lazarus Handbook

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 06:22:07 pm »
The Foundation does not produce either FPC nor Lazarus. Both are completely open source projects driven by hobby developers. The Foundation is there to provide incentives (with money) for developers to work on specific projects instead of only working on what they want to work on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018