Recent

Author Topic: IRC Channels have been refurbished. Please join us.  (Read 1975 times)

Joanna

IRC Channels have been refurbished. Please join us.
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »
The #fpc,#lazarus-ide and #pascal channels on the Freenode IRC network have been refurbished. Two vicious trolls who were allowed to remain for far too long have been banished . FPC developers have returned . Thank you developers!
 These recent changes have enhanced the quality of the conversations in IRC quite a lot.

If you are one of the unfortunate people who were discouraged from coming to IRC by the trolls it is now safe to come back. If you have never been to IRC before, there is no better time than right  now to join in on a  fun opportunity to learn more about Pascal .

These channels offer everything from advanced technical discussions about the fpc compiler to friendly casual chats with other Pascal enthusiasts from around the world.

There are quite a few things that can be done with Lazarus and FPC and nobody knows everything. Therefore, the more knowledgeable people that join the better the channels can be.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:45:46 pm by Joanna »
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: IRC Channels have been refurbished. Please join us.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »
That is good news.

I have tried the irc for some days but I prefer this forum. I can read and search past posts.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
Great!  I like IRC but I don't use it a lot :-[.  I should.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

valdir.marcos

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:43:43 pm »
The #fpc,#lazarus-ide and #pascal on the Freenode IRC network have been refurbished. Two vicious trolls who were allowed to remain for far too long have been banished . FPC developers have returned . Thank you developers!
 These recent changes have enhanced the quality of the conversations in IRC quite a lot.

If you are one of the unfortunate people who were discouraged from coming to IRC by the trolls it is now safe to come back. If you have never been to IRC before, there is no better time than right  now to join in on a  fun opportunity to learn more about Pascal .

These channels offer everything from advanced technical discussions about the fpc compiler to friendly casual chats with other Pascal enthusiasts from around the world.

There are quite a few things that can be done with Lazarus and FPC and nobody knows everything. Therefore, the more knowledgeable people that join the better the channels can be.
Are you Joanna Carter [TeamB] [Team OOAD]?
http://www.delphigroups.info/2/4/380271.html
http://www.codenewsfast.com/cnf/article/0/permalink.art-ng1915q904
http://www.devsuperpage.com/search/Articles.aspx?G=2&ArtID=99921
https://borland.public.delphi.oodesign.narkive.com/Uur0IDUJ/validate-data-between-model-and-controller-in-mvc

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 10:03:43 pm »
It is now more than twenty years when we used to talk on a school IRC. That's when I used the nickname Blaazen for the very first time. But IMO forum is more handy for coders, code snippets with syntax highlighting is probably not available on IRC (or it is)?
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

anyone

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 10:28:57 pm »
I mistaken IRC for ICQ...  %)

Joanna

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 12:15:22 am »
Sorry I am not Joanna Carter.

On irc it is possible to share code and screenshots by by using various free websites that share pasted text and photos. Many people give links to their GitHub repositories and useful websites  there also. I am not sure of which websites offer both pasting and syntax highlighting.

IRC is better for discussing things in real-time like trying to solve an immediate problem or trying to find/configure a feature in the Lazarus IDE.

Oftentimes I have a problem that I do not know the correct terminology to explain so it is much easier to talk in IRC about it and eventually someone there figures out what I mean.

I also learn a lot from other people discussing their programming problems in IRC. This knowledge has helped me improve my programming skill. I would have never realized how much improvement my code needed had I not discussed it with other programmers in IRC. For me IRC is not only helpful it is inspirational.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:40:18 am by Joanna »
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

valdir.marcos

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 12:44:04 am »
Sorry I am not Joanna Carter.

On irc it is possible to share code and screenshots by by using various free websites that share pasted text and photos. Many people give links to their GitHub repositories and useful websites  there also.

IRC is better for discussing things in real-time like trying to solve an immediate problem or trying to find/configure a feature in the Lazarus IDE.

Oftentimes I have a problem that I do not know the correct terminology to explain so it is much easier to talk in IRC about it and eventually someone there figures out what I mean.

I also learn a lot from other people discussing their programming problems in IRC. This knowledge has helped me improve my programming skill. I would have never realized how much improvement my code needed had I not discussed it with other programmers in IRC. For me IRC is not only helpful it is inspirational.
It seems like mobile messengers. Good for people who have time, or are in a hurry, or are home alone, or are anxious.  :-X

valdir.marcos

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 12:46:39 am »
I mistaken IRC for ICQ...  %)
I liked ICQ, but it's so rare to see somebody using it these days...

PierceNg

• SamadhiWeb
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 02:58:23 am »
It is now more than twenty years when we used to talk on a school IRC. That's when I used the nickname Blaazen for the very first time. But IMO forum is more handy for coders, code snippets with syntax highlighting is probably not available on IRC (or it is)?

On IRC people use pastebins to post code. Pastebins are websites that allow posting code for sharing on IRC.

Joanna

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 04:35:46 am »
ICQ was kind of ruined by the people who took it over. It was a great chat client around 2000.

skalogryz Thanks for stopping by. You left before anyone could talk to you. Also most people are asleep at this time of day because of the timezone.
We don’t have a lot of people from Asia and Australia.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 04:53:57 am »
Thanks for the invite, but these days I only have time for asynchronous communications about programming. :)
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018