Forum > Jobs

Job offer: Compile Lazarus code (after minor changes) for Windows, Mac and Linux

(1/2) > >>

gfuggetta:
Dear Passionate Lazarus programmers,

I am a Senior Lecturer in Psychology from a Department of Psychology in the UK. I have a potential job for you. With a collaborator of mine (another academic) we have developed a software in Lazarus to run experiments for undergraduate Psychology students. Unfortunately, my collaborator who has the programming skills to program in Lazarus, is very busy and does have time to make minor changes to the source code and compile the application for Windows, Mac and Linux. Please note: the source code has been coded with Lazarus compiler for Windows and is fully functional.
Would it be possible for you to make minor changes to the code and compile the application for Windows, Mac and Linux, please? Thanks

I can write further details if you are happy to help. In terms of Payment, this will be from my own pocket, so I hope your quote is not too expensive. Also we will distribute the software for free  :)

Best wishes
Giorgio

Senior Lecturer in Psychology

af0815:
To make a software crosscompiling for Mac and Linux (what ever for a distribution) can be a time consuming process.

One question is, do you want to distribute the source too ? If yes it can be a option to put the code in a popular distributionsystem like github and ask then for help. So anybody interested can look at the code and decide. This can be the cheapest way.

Nobody can give you a price, because nobody know your code.

Leledumbo:
Analysis of the code is required. It's possible to create Windows centric code that's hard to port to any other OSes / architectures.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: gfuggetta on October 05, 2020, 11:29:56 pm ---I can write further details if you are happy to help. In terms of Payment, this will be from my own pocket, so I hope your quote is not too expensive. Also we will distribute the software for free  :)

--- End quote ---

Open or Closed source? Only asking, because if open, then you can publish first and people who might be willing to spent time can have a look first.

Otherwise, maybe give at least some info, like how many units and how many lines of code.
And a brief description of what the software typically does.

Also you should be more specific about

--- Quote ---to make minor changes to the code
--- End quote ---
For example taking the Lazarus IDE, you could say "Replace menu text, with new more verbose text", or "change color of menu", or "add <whatever> to menu, and have it do something"

For compiling you might want to consider finding someone to do the changes, and compile to a subset of the targets (i.e. only Win and Linux).
And then to find a 2nd person who can just to the compilation.

gfuggetta:
Dear All,

Thank you for your messages. Within a couple of hours from my initial post, I have received messages from four members of this very nice community of passionate programmes. I was very impressed. I am currently developing the open source Psychology software with one generous and passionate Lazarus programmer who has excellent/outstanding programming skills. I guess that with his great contribution, we will be able to have an optimised version of the software compiled for both Windows and MacOs relatively soon (i.e. 2/3 weeks).

At that point, it would be nice if a Linux user from this community would be keen to try compiling the optimised open source code for any Linux distribution (i.e. Ubuntu 20.04).

Lastly, for fun, it would be also nice trying to compile the program on a Raspberry Pi 4 at 64 bit OS https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249982&sid=5d2e7d0861e877b6f3b8b9231e851589

I will keep you updated.

Many thanks
Giorgio

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version