Recent

Author Topic: 2.0.10 wrong files for IDE  (Read 1505 times)

QEnnay

2.0.10 wrong files for IDE
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:18:56 pm »
Mint 20.xx+Cinnamon
Just Synaptic un-installed all Lazarus/FPC stuff and installed 2.0.10 with Admin User, tested and all works fine. Went to non-sudo User and I get a box with "2.0.8" in the Title and "wrong folder..." even though it is showing the correct /usr/share/lazarus/2.0.10 path.

I click "Ignore" and it seems to be working OK anyway with no extra messages so far.

What do I need to do to delete that old "2.0.8" Dialog?

Thanks
Linux-Mint 20.1 x64 + Cinnamon; Lenovo Flex 5 Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB memory
FPC: 3.2.0-1, Lazarus 2.0.12-0, all 64bit

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: 2.0.10 wrong files for IDE
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:03:56 am »
As far as I know, you should not install  Lazarus under sudo user.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:10 am »
Hmm, so you removed an old install based on debs and made a new install, again, based on debs ?

Installs (and uninstalls) based on debs do need to be done as root. My guess is you had and earlier 2.0.8 there that did not get removed completely.  The issue with Lazarus on Linux installed from debs relates to the fact that Lazarus is often required to rebuild it self. If you have installed as root, then, obviously, it cannot over write its own files when running as an ordinory user.  The designers came up with a clever solution that works most of the time but is really messy underneath.

When a root installed Lazarus rebuilds itself, it saves the new files in a hidden directory in your home directory. The startlazarus command spots the newer build there and uses those files rather than the 'official' ones origionally installed. So, most users who install from debs only use those files for the first time that fire lazarus up.  All the action is happening in that local hidden directory.

My guess is you have not cleaned out completely the hidden directory - thats where the 2.0.8 files causing you grief are hiding.  Unless you have a complicated lazarus setup, I believe you should remove that hidden directory before reinstalling Lazarus. By default, its called ~/.lazarus from memory.

And, incidentally, as Handoko hinted at, far better to install Lazarus yourself from source. Its on the wiki ...

Davo

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:07:46 am »
Don't forget to remove /home/<user>/.lazarus before you install a new version. Note the dot in /.lazarus !!
This hidden directory is not automatically removed and contains Lazarus setup and configuration info that is preserved over new installations.
Your issue seems related to the above. I answered this before a couple of times, as did some other forum members.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:17:40 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

QEnnay

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 10:52:54 pm »
OK, thanks people. I checked the .lazarus and it had a bunch of stuff including .lazarus/bin/ with two files in it. Lazarus and Lazarus.old. OI recall at 2.0.8, I had to make that Lazarus file executable to stop the new install slamming shut at the Splash.

Anyway, I deleted that entire /bin/ folder and restarted Lazarus and got the "do you want to upgrade" and followed it though All good now.

QEnnay

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:55:16 pm »
I answered this before a couple of times, as did some other forum members.

I did search quite a bit before asking but the search term to use and the results related thereto, can often be irritatingly useless. :)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 03:20:04 am »

Anyway, I deleted that entire /bin/ folder and restarted Lazarus and got the "do you want to upgrade" and followed it though All good now.

Hmm, honestly, unless you have a very (unlikely) complicated config you want to reuse, I would have deleted the whole .lazarus directory. Then, at first run, you get a a "config  new" screen and no attempts to import aspects of the previous config.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018