Forum > Jobs

Purchase of service: Read and save data from piko measuring cart.

<< < (2/6) > >>

trev:
I doubt hex editing the executable will work. I see there is an Android version which will no doubt reveal the source though...

lgrfbs:
Really interesting trev, how do you get the source code out of Android software then?

MarkMLl, I've looked at the link you added to your post, but don't understand what to get out of it.

I appreciate any suggestions, I'd rather just get the PIKO software to work or fix a replacement that does almost the same job.

If we look at Option 1, what would it cost me?

The reason I didn't put any price idea in the first post of this thread is because I didn't want to offend anyone with that way level too low.

Another option is that I keep my money and install a VM and run decompulerning on the exe file and get out visual basic code.
Fixes the error and compiles a new exe file.
Have absolutely no idea if it will work as well in reality as it looks on Youtube.

Another option is that I sit down and write the program myself with the forum / internet as support, but then we are there again with having time for it too.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: lgrfbs on September 30, 2020, 07:08:41 pm ---Really interesting trev, how do you get the source code out of Android software then?

MarkMLl, I've looked at the link you added to your post, but don't understand what to get out of it.

I appreciate any suggestions, I'd rather just get the PIKO software to work or fix a replacement that does almost the same job.

--- End quote ---

If I understand that link correctly, you'll get a decompressed Linux filesystem that you can mount and inspect. There's a reasonable- not overwhelming but reasonable- chance that the authors have written that end in something like Python, which you will be able to inspect. Or alternatively, that you will be able to prove that they're abusing the GPL, in which case particularly if you could get a few more users together you could probably put pressure on them to make source available.

Attacking that end will probably be mechanical, i.e. as described in that link, and as such rather easier than decompiling VB.

MarkMLl

lgrfbs:
Thus these pfw files are for updating software in the wagon, so then should IF I read and understood correctly there is a small Linux computer or resembled in the wagon?!

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: lgrfbs on October 01, 2020, 09:56:01 am ---Thus these pfw files are for updating software in the wagon, so then should IF I read and understood correctly there is a small Linux computer or resembled in the wagon?!

--- End quote ---

Probably, or at least- if that link describing the format is relevant and correct- something that uses a unix-style filesystem to load the processor. And that might expose useful information.

Now I'm not saying it's a sure-fire solution, but it's worth investigating before you wade into trying a decompilation... if nothing else so that you can finger the manufacturer for abusing the GPL.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version