Recent

Author Topic: Online package manager not working  (Read 1323 times)

big_M

Online package manager not working
« on: February 09, 2023, 09:36:47 pm »
Hey. I want to install a package (BGRAControls), but the package manager fails to find the repo. "Host name resolution for "packages.lazarus-ide.org" failed. I can access the site without any problem however. Any idea? I think I had this problem already a while ago and never solved it.

Now I thought I could just put the zip files into the local repo folder, is that the way one should use that? In any case though the packages still don't show up.

Btw, I'm using the lazarus rpm's from sourceforge, so not the distro ones or anything
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:38:44 pm by big_M »

balazsszekely

Re: Online package manager not working
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 09:54:03 pm »
Hey. I want to install a package (BGRAControls), but the package manager fails to find the repo. "Host name resolution for "packages.lazarus-ide.org" failed. I can access the site without any problem however. Any idea? I think I had this problem already a while ago and never solved it.

Now I thought I could just put the zip files into the local repo folder, is that the way one should use that? In any case though the packages still don't show up.

Btw, I'm using the lazarus rpm's from sourceforge, so not the distro ones or anything
Most likely a firewall is blocking Lazarus. Can you please check it?
Not so long ago a guy from China reported that he was unable to connect to packages.lazarus-ide.org with OPM. The problem was solved after he changed the ISP, strange...
If you have a local http server, you can setup OPM to connect locally.

big_M

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 10:32:32 pm »
Hm, I don't have a firewall running. I tried it now in Windows, there it just works, so it can't be ISP related. Maybe it's DNS related, I will check what I have set in my network config

big_M

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 10:41:20 pm »
Ah, yes, that was it!
I had not defined any DNS server in my network configuration. Putting my router did it.
Thx for the help.

big_M

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 12:22:58 pm »
I still need more help unfortunately. Downloading a package works now, but it cannot install it ("Cannot open package file"). I tried several packages, but they all fail. Is there any external program/package that I could be missing? Or is there a folder that could have the wrong permissions set? (on linux)

dseligo

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 03:49:50 pm »
Or is there a folder that could have the wrong permissions set? (on linux)

Or you still have some Internet issues and can't download packages.

balazsszekely

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 06:30:24 pm »
I still need more help unfortunately. Downloading a package works now, but it cannot install it ("Cannot open package file"). I tried several packages, but they all fail. Is there any external program/package that I could be missing? Or is there a folder that could have the wrong permissions set? (on linux)
I saw this before. A user reported similar behaviour in a FreeBDS installation. The config folder is read only or Lazarus does not have enough privileges. Please go to OPM->Options->Folders and chech where the local repository is stored. Is that folder read only?

Ps: This is not an OPM but an installation issue.

big_M

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:30:00 pm »
Or you still have some Internet issues and can't download packages.

No, the downloads are working correctly now

I saw this before. A user reported similar behaviour in a FreeBDS installation. The config folder is read only or Lazarus does not have enough privileges. Please go to OPM->Options->Folders and chech where the local repository is stored. Is that folder read only?

Ps: This is not an OPM but an installation issue.

The local folders are all default, so all in ~.lazarus/onlinepackagemanager/. Privileges are correct, and lazarus/opm can download the packages into the "archives" subfolder, and then extract them into the "packages" subfolder. So the downloading part is not a problem. I don't know what opm is supposed to do next, but the next step fails.

balazsszekely

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 10:36:49 pm »
@big_M
The local folders are all default, so all in ~.lazarus/onlinepackagemanager/. Privileges are correct, and lazarus/opm can download the packages into the "archives" subfolder, and then extract them into the "packages" subfolder. So the downloading part is not a problem. I don't know what opm is supposed to do next, but the next step fails.
1. Lazarus Menu->Package->Open package file(.lpk)...
2. Navigate to ~.lazarus/onlinepackagemanager/SomePackageFolder

Can the IDE open the package?

big_M

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 10:51:12 pm »
Ah, I've got it!

My user folder "/home/Ben" is a symlink to a different drive and points to "/DATA/home/Ben".

The default folders in opm are actually set to "/home/Ben/.lazarus/onlinepackagemanager/". When I put the target path "/DATA/home/Ben..." it works. I'm not sure why the linked paths are not working though. I guess they still should.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018