Recent

Author Topic: IBX 2.3-4 Fails to install  (Read 5466 times)

dfergfla

IBX 2.3-4 Fails to install
« on: September 20, 2020, 04:27:16 am »
I just have to say this.  My overall frustration with Lazarus as a tool is reaching a boiling point.  Every time I turn around I have to spend hours and hours trying to work out why things don't work. 

The install for IBX is fairly straight forward.
From page 7 of the manual:

Unpack the source code archive into some suitable permanent location, as described above, and open the dclibx.lpk package description file using the Package->Open Package File menu item to open the file.  When the Package Editor opens, click on Use->Install. Lazarus will now recompile itself and restart.

I am not a stupid person so even I a total newbie can follow these directions.  But as with installing almost anything that isn't included with Lazarus by default.  It simply fails.  I am so tired and frustrated by this type of thing happening over and over and over.  I am so ready to just pay the 600.00 for Xojo.  It may be expensive but at least it works.  Yes, I know this is "open source" and people work on it in their spare time and I am grateful.  But is it too much to expect for it to work?  I'm sorry I'm being mean and bitchy.  But seriously, every day I have used this it's been one thing after an other... again and again... and again.   I have spent more hours just trying to get things working in the IDE than I have spent trying to learn how to code.

I would use Online Package Manager, but the version on there seems to be old at 2.3.0 and after installing that one, which it did install.  I got all kinds of strange errors including random "access violation" errors and absolutely nothing would compile with it.  So, I downloaded the latest version from the website 2.3.4 and can't get that one to install at all.

Windows 10 64bit.
Lazarus 2.0.10
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:35:08 am by dfergfla »

dsiders

Re: IBX 2.3-4 Fails to install
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 05:39:37 am »
I just have to say this.  My overall frustration with Lazarus as a tool is reaching a boiling point.  Every time I turn around I have to spend hours and hours trying to work out why things don't work. 

The install for IBX is fairly straight forward.
From page 7 of the manual:

Unpack the source code archive into some suitable permanent location, as described above, and open the dclibx.lpk package description file using the Package->Open Package File menu item to open the file.  When the Package Editor opens, click on Use->Install. Lazarus will now recompile itself and restart.

I am not a stupid person so even I a total newbie can follow these directions.  But as with installing almost anything that isn't included with Lazarus by default.  It simply fails.  I am so tired and frustrated by this type of thing happening over and over and over.  I am so ready to just pay the 600.00 for Xojo.  It may be expensive but at least it works.  Yes, I know this is "open source" and people work on it in their spare time and I am grateful.  But is it too much to expect for it to work?  I'm sorry I'm being mean and bitchy.  But seriously, every day I have used this it's been one thing after an other... again and again... and again.   I have spent more hours just trying to get things working in the IDE than I have spent trying to learn how to code.

I would use Online Package Manager, but the version on there seems to be old at 2.3.0 and after installing that one, which it did install.  I got all kinds of strange errors including random "access violation" errors and absolutely nothing would compile with it.  So, I downloaded the latest version from the website 2.3.4 and can't get that one to install at all.

Windows 10 64bit.
Lazarus 2.0.10

You're not reading the error messages.

There are two copies of the library on your system and the IDE is confused by the duplication. Remove one (or the other) entirely and the problem goes away.

Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

dfergfla

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 06:20:28 am »
1st Thank You.

now 10 min after I got past that.  I was able to put together a very simple ibx app using the employee.fb.  When in design mode I am all connected up and I can see live data from the employee table in the grid.  then when I try to compile it I get "Transaction not active."  So, this one I am pretty sure is my fault.  So, I am off trying to figure out what this is.  I'm sure it has something to do with the transaction component.  But it is set to 'active' at design time and the documentation says (5.2.1 When set at design time will cause the transaction to be started as soon as it has loaded" so not sure what's up yet.  But again, so much of this is not written for a beginner.  I'm sure there is something missing but it doesn't seem to be in the documentation.  The only other database I have tried was an sqlight demo and that went ok.  Is this really just an IDE for former Delphi devs with years of experience?  I am really serious about this question.  I have looked at youtube for videos on this and I have found a few, but all in other languages I don't speak.  While I'm not saying there is anything at all wrong with that.  I'm just not sure what to do.  It's clear the documentation for this IBX and so many other things in Lazarus is written by developers for other developers.  I even tried something on my own.  I put BTransaction1.Active := True; into the from open even, the from activate event... nothing works.

But, I have gotten farther and learned more..  Too tired, off to bed.  I try again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:40:06 am by dfergfla »

mobilevil

• http://www.kachun.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 07:56:44 am »
I am not an IBX expert but...

procedure TForm1.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
begin
  IBDatabase1.Open;
  IBTransaction1.Active:=true;
  IBDataset1.Open;
end;     

zeljkoc

• Zeljko Cvijanovic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 09:31:00 am »
maybe it will help

IBDataSet1.AllowAutoActivateTransaction := true;     

dfergfla

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:19:20 am »
I want to take a moment to thank those who tried to help.  Unfortunately after an other 6 hours of trying the suggestions here, google, searching the manual.  I am still not able to actually run a very, very simple program.  With seemingly no way to find the answers I need as a beginner I am moving to Xojo.  I am disappointed.  I really wanted to learn Pascal and Lazarus.  I had tried in the past just a little here and there.  This is the  farthest I have gotten.  Lazarus and FPC are the only tools in my reach to allow me to fiddle with software on my favorite alternative platforms.  Amiga and Haiku OS.  But is not to be.  I want to state that I do not think that Lazarus or FPC are in anyway bad tools.  They just are not for beginners.  Just in case anyone is interested in my experience as a total beginner here is what I ran into.

There are just too many old examples that don't apply anymore due to changes made over the years.  But, as a newbie I had no way to know this.  So, I would fight with it and fight with it.  There is very, very little documentation geared toward teaching someone this tool.  Almost, but not all, is geared toward a person coming from Delphi who only needs to know a how Lazarus is different.  I am sure the IBX manual would be of great benefit to someone who already knew the basics of how to use databases in Lazarus.  The manual is very detailed on all the different controls and properties and what is there.  What it doesn't have is any kind of basic beginner information on how to start.   While I would never say that the developer "must" provide this it really would have been nice.  In fact I downloaded and tried IBX because there was so much documentation with it that I thought I could work with it.  The dev should be commended for going to that level for an open source project. 

My problems with trying to figure this out do not only stem from this IBX experience.  I have found that trying to venture outside of anything other than the most basic of things would result in a great deal of frustration in trying to figure them out.  The Lazarus Wiki is nice, but again is mainly written with seasoned devs in mind.  Yes, there are tutorials there, but I found a number of them outdated and subsequently do not work in Lazarus now.  Also I found some tutorials that seemed to be for newbies but some information was left out.  This made the overall experience not so good.   This is not to say I am down on Lazarus.  It is what it is.

OTH Xojo while being a commercial product has a great deal of material and such that is written to take a newbie and get them up and running.  It is updated and the examples work.  While on Lazarus a great number of the examples I tried would not.  I know that documentation and tutorials for novice programmers is extremely boring and not anyone's idea of a fun thing to do for free.  It does make it difficult for people me like to to get going.  And Lazarus is not the only open source project with this type of issue.  It is rather common in the open source world.  Documentation is boring so no one wants to do it.  Especially for free.  Then having to maintain that documentation to make sure it is still relevant with any changes to the project over time is again a boring job that doesn't really seem to get done.  It's a shame.  I would have liked to do this.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help.

mobilevil

• http://www.kachun.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 04:41:16 pm »
I literally installed IBX and firebird after seeing your post and it was all OK, except the IBX SVN was down. the default download worked for me.

I have previous experience with IBX but it is not that hard I think. Tell us more about the problem you see things can be fixed

Welcome to the world of opensource software. Yes you are that documentation is always bad but it's the nature of software engineering. Source code is the ultimate document.

dfergfla

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 12:24:52 am »
@mobilevil

I appreciate your offer.  I am sure I am sure I am doing something wrong.  But, after over 7 hours of trying to figure it out, I have given up.  Please understand it isn't just IBX.  Everytime I try something that isn't just basic it's an uphill battle to figure it out.  As for IBX, one, just one step by step example would have been helpful.  There are at least two videos online that appear to be just that.  But neither are in English.  I tried to follow one anyway and in the Video the person clicks on the IBDatabase control and a window pops up for the database connection.  When I follow the same steps I get an error.  But, because I can't understand what is being said there is probably something I am not doing.  I'm sorry.  I'm just too frustrated with it.  I try examples, and can't get them to work.  Only to find out they are too old.  Yes, your right it is the nature of Open Source.  But, it is clear that Lazarus is only developed with experienced software developers in mind.  It's a shame Pascal has always been intended as a beginner language.  I wish it wasn't the case.  I used Turbo Pascal back in the 80's and a lot of the code is vaguely familiar.  I feel I could do well with it, but the hurdles placed in my way are more than I want to deal with.  I have been going though the https://www.xojo.com/resources/learn.php and so far I find it very helpful and a relief after my experience with Lazarus.  It is clear, laid out logically and best of all, the examples work.  If something like this was available for Lazarus I would drop Xojo in a heartbeat.  But I can't spend 6,7,8 hours trying in vain to figure out something.  Like I said, one step by step walk through of an example for IBX would have probably saved me hours and hours of stress and frustration.   As for source code, yes it is the ultimate document, but only if you know the language already,  The source code does not help when you have no idea of what steps have to be done in what order.  If you never done something before the source code looks like jibberish, with no clear flow or context.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:10:39 am »
I have been going though the https://www.xojo.com/resources/learn.php and so far I find it very helpful and a relief after my experience with Lazarus.  It is clear, laid out logically and best of all, the examples work.  If something like this was available for Lazarus I would drop Xojo in a heartbeat.

I take it you missed the FPC + Lazarus Wiki completely?

dfergfla

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 02:41:48 am »
@trev

Nope I saw it.  As I said, after I got past just the very, very basics I stared having problems making examples work.  And be honest, that Wiki is not all that good for leaning from start to finish.  As a reference it's fine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:11:19 am by dfergfla »

trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 04:08:29 am »
Nope I saw it.  As I said, after I got past just the very, very basics I stared having problems making examples work.

I've not had any issues with the examples that I've tried. I have three law degrees and no programming qualifications, so I'm not what you call a "sesasoned dev" :)

When I've had an issue which I could not answer after having done my research, the forum has generally provided a quick solution.

And be honest, that Wiki is not all that good for leaning from start to finish.

Actually, that IS how I used it to learn Lazarus + FPC. I had previously used Delphi 1-7 and then two decades later bought Delphi 10.1 which was just an expensive mistake, before rediscovering Lazarus + FPC which I'd used in 2007 to port my Delphi router application from Windows to macOS.

After my experience with the Wiki, I created the New Users Portal to cover the basics in one place intended to bring together the material for new users rather than leaving it scattered throughout the Wiki and more difficult to locate.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.

dfergfla

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 05:30:30 am »
....Lazarus + FPC which I'd used in 2007 to port my Delphi router application from Windows to macOS.

So, you already had experience using the system that Lazarus was based on before you came here.  Thus demonstrating my point.  You used the wiki to familiarize yourself with Lazarus but already had Delphi knowledge when you got here.  I have not used Pascal or any other programming language in 30 years.  So, while you many not be a "Seasoned Developer" you did have prior experience.  As for my suggestions, I provided a link to my suggestion.  Something like that, but for Lazarus.  But it would be a lot of work for someone and that is why I don't believe it will happen.  Which is a shame, Lazarus could be such a great platform for newbie programmers.  My experience my or may not be typical.  In the end I am having a lot more success with Xojo and a great deal, I mean a great deal, less frustration.  This is just my opinion based on my personal experience with the platform. 

dfergfla

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 05:47:05 am »
Ok so here is what I need:

Using IBX and the sample employee.fdb (it could honestly be any .fdb).  Load the "Employee" table into a datagrid.  What are the steps you follow?  In what order?  What options should be set on the controls at design time.  Do you use any code to connect to the db at runtime?  If so, how and what event does that code go in?  If I can get this far I can most likely figure out a great deal more on my own.  But, I can't even get out of the gate.

trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 08:31:22 am »
Don't look at me - I don't do database applications. Others generously offered help above.

I was specifically asking about improvements to the Wiki for new users. You suggested a book. Well, several books do exist,  both free ones and commercial ones. See the listing at Pascal and Lazarus Books and Magazines on the Wiki.

There's also video tutorials for both Pascal (eg a free university video course in Free Pascal) and Lazarus also on the Wiki.

dsiders

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 08:23:01 pm »
Ok so here is what I need:

Using IBX and the sample employee.fdb (it could honestly be any .fdb).  Load the "Employee" table into a datagrid.  What are the steps you follow?  In what order?  What options should be set on the controls at design time.  Do you use any code to connect to the db at runtime?  If so, how and what event does that code go in?  If I can get this far I can most likely figure out a great deal more on my own.  But, I can't even get out of the gate.

IBX4Lazarus is distributed with 17 example programs. One of them (employee) does EXACTLY what you're ask for.

What more do you need?
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

TinyPortal © 2005-2018