Recent

Author Topic: 9.24 LCL missing component icons  (Read 9091 times)

rschultz

9.24 LCL missing component icons
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:47 pm »
In 9.24 over half of the components do not have an icon. There is only a blank tab where the component is. The hover over does list the component and the component can be dropped on a form. The ico and xpm files are in the "C:\lazarus\components" folder for the components that do not display an icon. For example

The standard TButton does not appear in the Package LCL. If I right click on the pallet where TButton is, select find component TButton is there but I can not do anything with it.

This all worked in 9.22. I've reinstalled 9.24 and 9.22 several times and the result is the same each time.

W2K Pro and AMD BE2400.

ron

Marc

• Administrator
RE: 9.24 LCL missing component icons
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:41:01 am »
do you have a screenshot ?
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

rschultz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:08:52 pm »
How do I send screen snapshot(s)? I do have a Word document read with several screen images. Could that be emailed or attached?

ron

OnixJr

• http://www.brlazarus.kit.net
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »
How do I send screen snapshot(s)? I do have a Word document read with several screen images. Could that be emailed or attached?

You can upload images at: http://www.imageshack.us/

Regards
Portal Lazarus Brasil - http://lazaruspascal.codigolivre.org.br/portal.php
Lazarus BOOK (in portuguese) - http://lazarus-book.blogspot.com
<hipernetjr@yahoo.com.br> - Curitiba/Brazil

rschultz

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:07:02 pm »
Sorry for the delay. I had to decide which email account to use for ImageShack, how to use ImageShack and get good screen snapshots there.
There are 5 images there now. I checked and I can view them

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rschultz/

I realized that even a blank form will not compile. The message is  “Can’t find unit Interfaces” There is an Interfaces folder under the LCL folder. I used Firefox to download the win32.exe. I did the standard install. I have occasionally had programs that do not install properly when downloaded with Firefox but do when downloaded with Internet Explorer.  I have not tried that. Using XP PRO updated a couple weeks ago and AMD 2600+.

I tried downloading the win32.exe with Internet Explorer 7. Lazarus will now compile but the component icons are still missing.

Hope this helps with with fixing this problem.

ron

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:44:01 am »
Very strange?
Did you try the same .exe on WinXP?
Did you try to download the exe again?
Did you install Lazarus in its default directory c:\lazarus, or did you select a custom directory?

rschultz

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:24:48 pm »
Thanks for the response. I do not have time to do much until this afternoon,
CDT US. Yes everything was the default install.

I seem to be having problems with AMD processors. I have some posts on the Linux forum. Is it possible you could look at those? There the problem is with fedora 8, x86_64 and lazarus 9.24. Can not compile even a blank form. I did get lazarus to work in Linux with a P3 and fedora 6. I think! I've done so many things I need to double check what I have done.

I have access to a new Dell laptop with an Intel processor and WinXP pro. I'll try the windows version of lazarus on that.

Again thanks for the interest and please check back later. I had really hoped to have lazarus working a couple weeks ago.

ron

rschultz

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »
Test machines. Starting from scratch.
AMD 2600+ 2.3 Ghz WinXP Pro SP2.
P3 500Mhz Win2K Pro SP4.

Removed Lazarus from AMD 2600+ using Windows Add/Remove Programs.
Removed Lazarus from P3 using Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Downloaded Lazarus-0.9.22-fpc-2.0.4-20070326-win32.exe with Firefox.
Downloaded Lazarus-0.9.24-fpc-2.2.0-20071114-win32.exe with Firefox.

Install Lazarus 9.22 on AMD 2600+.
Lazarus IDE appears normal.
Compile form with a button and label. Works OK.

Install Lazarus 9.22 on P3.
Lazarus IDE appears normal.

Removed Lazarus from AMD 2600+ using Windows Add/Remove Programs.
Removed Lazarus from P3 using Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Install Lazarus 9.24 on AMD 2600+
Install process hungup. Had to hit power button on machine.
Second install went OK. The install definitely goes slower than on the P3. The problem component tabs are blank. Even when a component tab is blank that component can be dropped on a form.

Install Lazarus 9.24 on P3.
Installed OK. The problem component tabs are not blank but sort of grayed out. Can not really be read. Compile form with a button and label. Works OK.

Install Lazarus 9.24 on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Intel T5450 1.66 Ghz WinXP Pro SP2.
Everything appears to work. All icons are visible. Compile form with a button and label. Works OK. Actually this is kind of disappointing.

The Linux PC that Lazarus will not compile on using Fedora 8 is a new one with an AMD BE2400 processor, which is a X64 dual core. I have a hard drive for that with WinXP Pro that I could put in it. It's kind of a pain but I guess that would prove if there is an issue with AMDX64.

ron

ercolano

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:00:54 am »
I can second what rschultz is saying.

I installed 9.24 on an Intel centrino based laptop with XPsp2 last week and it has been working fine.

Today I installed it on a AMD semperon 2600+ running XPsp3 and got exactly the same problem with some of the icons not showing up. If I use tooltips to find where the "button" icon should be, I can make and run a simple app that changes the button caption when clicked. I just cannot see the icons on the palatte.

(By the way, my first attempt at resolving the problem was to rebuild lazarus).

ercolano

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:40:25 am »
UPDATE:

There may be some sort of bug in the Alpha channel handling.

I took a couple of icons that do work ( tedit and tmemo), and a couple that did not work (tbutton and tlabel) and opened them in PSP X2 (an advanced graphics program). The icons that do not work appear to have the unused areas around the icon set to pure black (i.e. value 0), wheras the ones that work appear to be cropped to the exact size of the graphic (for example tedit is cropped to 23x16 pixels).

Clearly we have two different ways of doing icons here. It may be that the unused (transparent) areas which are set to pitch black are detected by some exception in the code which is not occuring in the AMD processor (or visa versa).

ercolano

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 02:51:27 am »
UPDATE bis:

I did an experiement. I flood filled the black area on the tbutton.xpm, and rebuilt Lazurus.

**All** my icons came up correctly. I wonder if this is because I "touched" an icon and hence something got rebuilt?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018