Recent

Author Topic: Object Pascal Handbook as learning resource  (Read 10994 times)

gour

Object Pascal Handbook as learning resource
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:27:57 am »
Hello,

I've decided to use FPC/Lazarus for my desktop project and although I was writing TurboPascal long ago when being on university, but since then I was neither doing much programming, nor using TP, so wonder if Marco Cantu's Object Pascal Handbook is good resource for learning FPC (Lazarus) or is it better to buy e.g. Lazarus Handbook?

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Object Pascal Handbook as learning resource
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:37:11 am »
I think the lazarus handbook are more topics/essays for people that want to take the next step.

If you need to start with Object Pascal, Marco Cantu seems the better of the two

gour

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:54:15 am »
I think the lazarus handbook are more topics/essays for people that want to take the next step.

If you need to start with Object Pascal, Marco Cantu seems the better of the two

OK, it seems both can be useful - one for starting with FPC and another for Lazarus.  ;)

wp

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 11:56:43 am »
I agree that the "Lazarus Handbook" is for people who know Pascal but want to learn how to use Lazarus. Marco Cantu's book, on the other hand, focusses on Delphi so that a new user may be confused by the differences to Lazarus.

Did you look at the overview in https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines? For beginners to Pascal I would recommend the free and well-written "Free Pascal from SquareOne" by Jeff Dunteman or "Start Programming Using Object Pascal" by forum user Motaz. Another good book, non-free though, is "Learn to Program using Lazarus" by Howard Page-Clark, another forum user.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:54:54 pm by wp »

tennis

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:52:29 pm »
I found the ancient Borland Object Pascal Language Guide very good quality.

Not sure where I downloaded the PDF, but the file name is "CB6_ObjPascalLangGuide_EN.PDF".

It is of course not up to the latest subjects like generics etc., but I found it valuable to read through.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »
I found the ancient Borland Object Pascal Language Guide very good quality.

If you can get a D6 or D7 manual set: always take it. Sometimes they are quite affordable on the web.

I learned it by reading both that and Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi repeatedly.  The other thick book in the Delphi manual set is also very good to learn essentials of certain non language things, like resources, packages, translation system etc.

Of course it all requires interpretation as of FPC/Lazarus is more portable than D6/D7. But the main advantage of the manual sets, is that you see most of it, in more or less an natural order.

tennis

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 04:41:18 pm »
That was the source.
I assume it legit to download from the http://docs.embarcadero.com/ site.

Also for offline reading a professional typesetting like the Borland manual is a must.
I find it very hard to read long documents where the PDF is basically just HTML turned
into a document. Sadly that is the standard with most documentation today.

gour

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 10:12:51 am »
Marco Cantu's book, on the other hand, focusses on Delphi so that a new user may be confused by the differences to Lazarus.

How is Cantu's book in regard to just learning ObjectPascal?

Did you look at the overview in https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines?

I did, but obviously missed some good ones.  :(

For beginners to Pascal I would recommend the free and well-written "Free Pascal from SquareOne" by Jeff Dunteman or
"Start Programming Using Object Pascal" by forum user Motaz.

Thank you. I downloaded both and will see which one is more suitable...

Another good book, non-free though, is "Learn to Program using Lazarus" by Howard Page-Clark, another forum user.

How much up-to-date is that one?

julkas

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 11:18:25 am »
Hello,

I've decided to use FPC/Lazarus for my desktop project and although I was writing TurboPascal long ago when being on university, but since then I was neither doing much programming, nor using TP, so wonder if Marco Cantu's Object Pascal Handbook is good resource for learning FPC (Lazarus) or is it better to buy e.g. Lazarus Handbook?
Yes. Object Pascal Handbook - great resource for learning.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 02:10:05 pm »
Except that the very last (current) version uses a feature that FPC currently does not yet have : anonymous methods. So look for an older version and in print.
The very last version can confuse FPC beginners.

That said, it is a well written introduction into Object Pascal.
Specialize a type, not a var.

gour

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 07:48:51 pm »
Except that the very last (current) version uses a feature that FPC currently does not yet have : anonymous methods. So look for an older version and in print.
The very last version can confuse FPC beginners.

Hmm, I believe I've first printed version and 'anonymous methods' are in the index?

Blade

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 08:50:53 pm »
While not as extensive as the Object Pascal Handbook or Lazarus Handbook, I thought the Modern Object Pascal Introduction for Programmers was useful for getting your feet wet, is more Free Pascal/Lazarus centric, and a relatively quick read.

https://castle-engine.io/modern_pascal_introduction.html

Downloadable PDF
https://castle-engine.io/modern_pascal_introduction.pdf
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:05:38 pm by Blade »

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 12:27:10 am »
Learn to program using Lazarus by Howard Page-Clark (a forum user) is an excellent book. It's well hidden at https://www.blaisepascalmagazine.eu/product/learn-program-using-lazarus-electronic-pdf/ and not listed in the Shop Books menu (I emailed BPM to alert them). Well worth the 25 Euro/ $A 42.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018