Recent

Author Topic: Object Pascal Handbook as learning resource  (Read 11162 times)

Blade

Re: Object Pascal Handbook as learning resource
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 02:22:52 pm »
I found the ancient Borland Object Pascal Language Guide very good quality.

Not sure where I downloaded the PDF, but the file name is "CB6_ObjPascalLangGuide_EN.PDF".

It is of course not up to the latest subjects like generics etc., but I found it valuable to read through.

Just to make it easier on people that might want to look at it.  One of those oldies, but goodies.  It's a downloadable PDF from Embarcadero, so legit.

http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/rad_studio/cbuilder6/EN/CB6_ObjPascalLangGuide_EN.pdf

gour

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
Learn to program using Lazarus by Howard Page-Clark (a forum user) is an excellent book. It's well hidden at https://www.blaisepascalmagazine.eu/product/learn-program-using-lazarus-electronic-pdf/ and not listed in the Shop Books menu (I emailed BPM to alert them). Well worth the 25 Euro/ $A 42.

How thick/big it is considering that Lazarus Handbook is going to be around 1k pages?

howardpc

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 03:41:02 pm »
248 pages

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 03:55:59 pm »
How thick/big it is considering that Lazarus Handbook is going to be around 1k pages?

My copy of Learn to program using Lazarus has 326 pages (including index). Compare the Contents pages of it and the Handbook.

The Handbook is pretty much devoted to Lazarus itself (as you would expect) whereas Learn to program using Lazarus covers the basics of Object Pascal first (95 pages) and then Lazarus (153 pages).

gour

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 07:41:23 pm »
The Handbook is pretty much devoted to Lazarus itself (as you would expect) whereas Learn to program using Lazarus covers the basics of Object Pascal first (95 pages) and then Lazarus (153 pages).

Hmm, how comprehensive is Lazarus part (153 pages) to actually learn it?

I'm asking since I own Cantu's book and there are few other very useful/free books dealing with Object Pascal part?

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 08:29:30 pm »
Almost the whole book (in a version that refers to a max of D2009) is valid for Lazarus too, since at least FPC is close to 100% compatible with those.
What version of print do you have?
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

gour

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 12:02:04 pm »
Almost the whole book (in a version that refers to a max of D2009) is valid for Lazarus too, since at least FPC is close to 100% compatible with those.
What version of print do you have?

Do you reference ;D Marco Cantu's "Object Pascal Handbook" ? I've, afaik, the only edition so far, iow. 1st print.

Blade

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 09:14:15 am »
The official download link for the Object Pascal Handbook by Marco Cantu is at Embarcadero's website and below.  However, you do have to sign up for a free membership first.

https://cc.embarcadero.com/item/30586

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 10:13:07 am »
Do you reference ;D Marco Cantu's "Object Pascal Handbook" ? I've, afaik, the only edition so far, iow. 1st print.
The online version is updated to current Delphi and includes a feature that FPC does not currently have in some of the examples (anonymous methods -mainly threading - in the example code).
Your printed version is perfectly OK to use and every example can be compiled with FPC.
Only a global modeswitch is required in every unit. {$mode delphi}

I have the same printed version and the CD and had no problems with all of its code with very small changes.
It was given to me by the author. Review. I used to be a beta tester for Delphi (not any more ) But that was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:24:46 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Blade

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:39 am »
There is a October 2014 Draft version of the Object Pascal Handbook that is online too.
Object Pascal Handbook 2014 draft
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:54:21 am by Blade »

Webdrifter

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 11:58:32 am »
The official download link for the Object Pascal Handbook by Marco Cantu is at Embarcadero's website and below.  However, you do have to sign up for a free membership first.

https://cc.embarcadero.com/item/30586

For this one you don't need to subscribe: https://www.pdfdrive.com/object-pascal-handbook-updated-for-delphi-101-berlin-e185368681.html

Webdrifter

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:22:42 pm by Webdrifter »

gour

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 05:13:05 pm »
Your printed version is perfectly OK to use and every example can be compiled with FPC.
[...]
I have the same printed version and the CD and had no problems with all of its code with very small changes.

Is the book useful for learning only Object Pascal, or it can be somewhat used for learning Lazarus as well?

lucamar

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 07:43:59 pm »
Is the book useful for learning only Object Pascal, or it can be somewhat used for learning Lazarus as well?

As the name implies, it's useful for learning Object Pascal (in fact the "Delphi" language).

As an aside: people often confuse (Object) Pascal, the language; FPC, the Free Pascal Compiler; Lazarus. the IDE, and the LCL, the Lazarus Components Library; but they are quite different beasts, so while a book about one of them might cite any of the others it shouldn't mix them.

Thus, a "Lazarus" book should basically be like, say, a book about Word or WordPerfect, though the examples must, of course, use code written in Pascal; while a book about Pascal might cite and/or use FPC/Lazarus as the tools of choice but hte emphasis should be put in the language itself. IMHO, of course :-[
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

gour

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 07:58:15 pm »
s the name implies, it's useful for learning Object Pascal (in fact the "Delphi" language).

As an aside: people often confuse (Object) Pascal, the language; FPC, the Free Pascal Compiler; Lazarus. the IDE, and the LCL, the Lazarus Components Library; but they are quite different beasts, so while a book about one of them might cite any of the others it shouldn't mix them.

I understand the distinction between those, but wonder about LCL's compatibility with the Delphi since it was mentioned above that every example can be compiled with FPC ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018