Recent

Author Topic: Docking of Lazarus windows  (Read 1886 times)

Igor Kokarev

Docking of Lazarus windows
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:58:22 am »
Hi,

Developers of Lazarus have done the great work. Many thanks!

Is it possible to include a possibility of docking for Lazarus windows (toolbars, editor, messages) in Lazarus by default? Without need to install packages and recompile Lazarus.

I use manualdock several years and I wonder if it could be included by default. A very useful mode for IDE.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Docking of Lazarus windows
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 04:40:44 pm »
There are many users that in fact prefer the separate windows, so adding that by default would be uncomfortable to those. What would be needed would be a dynamic system with the anchor docking package installed by default that would allow to enable/disable this. Then this could be added to the installer for example or the "first start" dialog.

Igor Kokarev

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:13:40 am »
Yes, docking of windows can be implemented as an option. It's vitaly necessary.

On macOS it's very hard to work without docking. Because IDE toolbar, editor, inspector, and messages are 4 independent windows and to hide Lazarus I have to minimize 2 windows (toolbar and editor) and these windows appear as 2 icons in Dock. And inspector and messages windows can't be minimized. A complete mess on the screen! I have to close Lazarus instead of minimizing.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:03:06 pm »
Yes, docking of windows can be implemented as an option. It's vitaly necessary.

Again: there are many people that won't agree that it is "vitaly necessary".

But to solve your immediate problem: install the package AnchorDockingDsgn and maybe also sparta_dockedformeditor (if you use Lazarus 2.0.10 with FPC 3.2.0 disable all units inside the sparta_generics package if you haven't already done so).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018