Recent

Author Topic: [Warning] Parallels Desktop 15/16 AVFoundation + AVKit issues  (Read 1055 times)

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
[Warning] Parallels Desktop 15/16 AVFoundation + AVKit issues
« on: August 19, 2020, 07:53:31 am »
I wrote a few test applications in Lazarus/Free Pascal and Swift. One uses AVPlayer (Swift, Apple code example), one uses AVMidi (one version is written in Lazarus/Free Pascal and a second version is written in Swift). None of them work normally in a Parallels Desktop 16 VM of Mojave or Catalina.

The AVPlayer application comes up with a crossed out play symbol - it fails to download the streaming audio video test file from Apple. This application is the basic video player written in Swift using the code provided by Apple.

The AVMidi applications both exhibit the same problem - the first second of the midi file plays and then the player stops. If I repeatedly hit the play button it will eventually play normally, but if I pause it and try to resume, the same problem recurs along with a lot of distortion.

All these applications work perfectly on bare metal in Mojave and Catalina.

Parallels Tech Support suggested downgrading to PD15. This resulted in my VM's losing access to any sound devices (Mac mini internal speakers; monitor sound connection via headphone connection) which seems to be an artifact of downgrading because the same sound devices worked perfectly before I upgraded from PD15 to PD16. Luckily I was able to regain sound by plugging in an external USB speaker which was detected and could be used.

Under PD15, both the AVMidi applications worked again normally.

However, under PD15 the AVPLayer application continued to fail in the same way as under PD16.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018