Recent

Author Topic: Converting a Lazarus App to an appimage  (Read 7148 times)

Possum

• uDoPage
Converting a Lazarus App to an appimage
« on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:29 am »
Hi

How can I turn my Lazarus Application into an AppImages.

Also if you have advice or an opinion of Lazarus and AppImages I would enjoy your feedback.

Thank You...

mangakissa

Re: Converting a Lazarus App to an appimage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:53:14 am »
Isn't it better to compile it native. Or don't you have mac and still want to use it?
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

Warfley

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:40 pm »
Appimage has a pretty extended documentation: https://docs.appimage.org/

Relevant foe you: https://docs.appimage.org/packaging-guide/manual.html#ref-manual

So whats your exact problem?

Isn't it better to compile it native. Or don't you have mac and still want to use it?
AppImage is native and has nothing to do with mac, It is a way to pack an application for linux containing all dependencies.

This way you don't need root to install dependencies to use an application
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:42:20 pm by Warfley »

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:27:45 am »
AppImage is native and has nothing to do with mac, It is a way to pack an application for linux containing all dependencies.

This is why separate AppImage files have to be provided for Intel and ARM architecture.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

Warfley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 01:35:26 pm »
This is why separate AppImage files have to be provided for Intel and ARM architecture.
And different bittines (I'm pretty sure thats not a word)

howardpc

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 01:42:38 pm »
"bitness" seems to be the accepted term.

Possum

• uDoPage
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:49:11 pm »
I just though AppImages was a good way to distribute a Lazarus app.

How to I set the compile options so my Lazarus app will run on a another LinuxMX computer?

Thank You.   

winni

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 11:07:57 pm »
"bitness" seems to be the accepted term.

Hi!

Call it old fashioned "byte sex".

Now we got at long last some sex in the forum.

Winni
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:18:21 pm by winni »

funlw65

• Visual Pin Configurator for Nucleo 64pin boards
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 02:45:02 pm »
Can the compiler/linker do this instead? Creating an AppImage if the author desires? I think the tools know better what libraries are involved in creating the executable and the "binding" to the shared libraries, I am right?

It would be a solution for applications based on gtk2 and bgrabitmap which runs only on gtk2
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:20:39 pm by funlw65 »
FreePascal 3.2.2, C 10.2.1, D 1.24 under Linux(init,musl,glibc), DragonflyBSD, NetBSD
gui: gtk2, qt5, raylib4.x+raygui3.x, nanovg 
tui: freevision, tvision2, termbox2+widgets, finalcut
db: typhoon-1.11...

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 01:51:25 pm »
Can the compiler/linker do this instead? Creating an AppImage if the author desires? I think the tools know better what libraries are involved in creating the executable and the "binding" to the shared libraries, I am right?

It's not the job of the linker. Also there might be additional files (aka resources, configurations, etc.) involved that the linker has no knowledge about anyway. So this should always be done in a separate step.

Tony Stone

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 02:01:52 am »

It would be a solution for applications based on gtk2 and bgrabitmap which runs only on gtk2

I just need to know.  Are you hacking your washing machine so you can make it actually use water and clean your clothes?  :D

Your image made me laugh as I was recently looking at a way to design a new controller for my washing machine! lol  My wife is sick to death of putting my filthy work clothes in and watching it try to clean with 2 gallons of water. haha

funlw65

• Visual Pin Configurator for Nucleo 64pin boards
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 03:49:42 pm »
In the past, before learning to use microcontrollers, I interfaced my washing machine with my PC via Printer Parallel Port. The program was written in C then ported  (ha, actually I completely rewrote it because I couldn't get a Turbo C compiler) to Pascal. For actuating the motor I used three outputs and all up to remaining 5 used them for the other components. All three inputs where used to read "water at level" pressure sensor and others that I don't remember right now. I used Turbo Pascal 7 and a gaming VGA library for graphical interface. Don't remember where I put that project, I may upload it here if I find it. 

The actual mockup can be used by a raspberry Pi inside an LG washing machine but I will go with microcontrollers and dedicated glcd...

But all I wanted to say was, you can't distribute anymore linux applications based on gtk2 and bgrabitmap unless you pack them in an AppImage.
FreePascal 3.2.2, C 10.2.1, D 1.24 under Linux(init,musl,glibc), DragonflyBSD, NetBSD
gui: gtk2, qt5, raylib4.x+raygui3.x, nanovg 
tui: freevision, tvision2, termbox2+widgets, finalcut
db: typhoon-1.11...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018