Recent

Author Topic: Compiler exited  (Read 3897 times)

Nitorami

Compiler exited
« on: August 07, 2020, 09:51:33 am »
I installed FPC 3.2.0 textmode IDE on my office PC (windows 10 ver 1809) a while ago. As of lately however, I experience crashes quite frequently during the build process of even tiny and completely harmless programs, e.g. little routines I need to test; without memory allocation, pointers, threading etc.

The message is usually of sorts

sysinitpas.pp(12,1): Compilation raised exception internally
Error: Compiler exited
Error: Access violation

Sometimes the IDE keeps running, sometimes it terminates with a signal 291, occasionally it simply dies and goes back to the shell, occasionally I need to kill the shell. The line number (12,1) appears random, it may be any other number as well e.g. (147,1).

After re-starting the IDE, the problem is gone, but will reappear sooner or later, like a lottery game.

Anybody else experienced this issue ? I have a suspicion that it may be related to other processes utilising resources on the machine, maybe virus scanner, WMI provider host,  UAC file locking, whatever. On an office machine, a lot is going on in the background above and beyond what windows itself does. 

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
Re: Compiler exited
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 02:44:57 pm »
Do you get these errors also when you compile the program manually from the console?

Bart

Nitorami

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »
I should have tried that yesterday, as today it appears to be more stable, and difficult to reproduce.

I also note that yesterday the compilation was sluggish; with small programs the compilation usually takes less than 0.3 seconds, while yesterday I often waited an enervating 2 seconds for the "compile successful" message to appear; and then, when running the program, it took another 3 seconds before even "Hello World" would appear in the output console. It was all sluggish, which may be an indication that some background process was using resources. The task manager showed the usual suspects consuming CPU power: Trend Micro, WMI Provider Host (forever! really! - it never pauses) , Windows Driver Foundation User Mode Driver Framework Host Process- whatever THAT is - Google Chrome...

Still, why would any of these interfere with FPC ? I sometimes encounter an error 5 "object file cannot be written" - but that is transient and usually gone on the 2nd compilation attempt. It is presumably related to the windows file write / locking, and does not cause  a crash. 

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 03:32:48 pm »
I'm having the same issue since I upgraded trunk. I opened a thread but had no replies.

What I do is from Lazarus do Run > Build, it recompiles everything and then it works.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:10:57 pm »
I also note that yesterday the compilation was sluggish; with small programs the compilation usually takes less than 0.3 seconds, while yesterday I often waited an enervating 2 seconds for the "compile successful" message to appear; and then, when running the program, it took another 3 seconds before even "Hello World" would appear in the output console. It was all sluggish, which may be an indication that some background process was using resources. The task manager showed the usual suspects consuming CPU power: Trend Micro, WMI Provider Host (forever! really! - it never pauses) , Windows Driver Foundation User Mode Driver Framework Host Process- whatever THAT is - Google Chrome...

Well, for me I had to tell Windows BitDefender to exclude my FPC and Lazarus directories, because it liked to do realtime scanning in there which slowed down compilation or kept files locked for longer than was good, so maybe you can tell Trend Micro to exclude these directories as well?

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 01:40:35 am »
That doesn't solve the problem, I have excluded fpcupdeluxe directory with Windows security settings and that doesn't works.

Edit: I mean to solve the Compiler raised exception internally, but of course doing that speed up the compilation time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 01:50:47 am by lainz »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018