Recent

Author Topic: is there any game engine easier to use than castle in lazarus?  (Read 6941 times)

greenzyzyzy

is there any game engine easier to use than castle in lazarus?just like cocos or unity
castle is too many functions. hard to use
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:44:53 pm by greenzyzyzy »

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: is there any game engine easier to use than castle in lazarus?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »
Other game engines have many functions as well, it's just they are better at hiding that for the most part. But sooner or later (depending on the complexity of your game) you need to get your hands dirty anyway.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »
It is sad to hear Castle Game Engine is not easy to use. It was in my have to learn list if I have spare time.

Here is a list of available game engines for Lazarus/FPC:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Game_Engine

Maybe you can try Allegro.pas if you don't mind to include third party dll/so files in your distribution package. It is not fully written in Pascal, it just a wrapper to Allegro library. Although not as famous as Unity or some others, Allegro still is a well-tested and well-known game library.

I haven't tested much game engines/libraries but I ever tried Allegro.pas. It is relatively easy. And what I like most is Allegro (official website) has great documentation. Each command has sample code in their reference manual.

https://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_and_Allegro
http://allegro-pas.sourceforge.net/
https://liballeg.org/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:30:08 pm by Handoko »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:50:27 pm »
Now Unity has drag and drop blocks or something like that, so you can do games without writing code, but making it from blocks. Like for example Blender nodes to do the shaders.

https://unity.com/how-to/make-games-without-programming

Edit: and also I received an email from Unity, it says:

VISUAL SCRIPTING

Bolt visual scripting is now included in all Unity plans

A short while ago, Unity announced the acquisition of the Bolt visual scripting Asset from developer Ludiq. Now that the integration and technical transition of Bolt to Unity is complete, we are very happy to announce Bolt visual scripting is now included in all Unity plans, at no additional cost.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:56:30 pm by lainz »

sash

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:05:02 pm »
It is sad to hear Castle Game Engine is not easy to use. It was in my have to learn list if I have spare time.

Sad but true. Just my opinion: despite there are some good and modern features (and some progress), there are places where it's unnecessarily complicated, while some features (required to me) are missing/incomplete/not enough stabilized to use.

IIRC, this is because author tried (in the past?) to made engine "vrml-compliant" (? - just suggestion) - so this introduces a lot of complexities, not obvious, nor covered by docs.

I honestly tried to dive in for a week-long research (and I'm not a complete novice, I have things working in another engine), but gave up for my old C++ based project.

p.s. Please, don't consider this as negative review. It's open-source project after all, and author seems like open for co-operation. If your goal is not to put a game in production asap, but to learn, it worth trying.
Lazarus 2.0.10 FPC 3.2.0 x86_64-linux-gtk2 @ Ubuntu 20.04 XFCE

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 02:46:59 am »
@greenzyzyzy: See the Choosing a Game Engine page on the Wiki.

greenzyzyzy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 03:45:14 am »

thanks very much.

greenzyzyzy

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 05:27:09 am »

ok,i have download these engine one by one.   but no one is looks like better than cocos or unity.
and i hope castle will improve in later version.

Roland57

• msegui.net
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 08:40:20 am »
Hello! Not yet had time to try it, but this project looks interesting:
https://github.com/drezgames/raylib-pascal

Currently it supports only Windows. It would be good if someone could make a Linux version.
My projects are on Gitlab and on Codeberg.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 09:41:12 am »

ok,i have download these engine one by one.   but no one is looks like better than cocos or unity.
and i hope castle will improve in later version.

The Castle Game Engine is essentially a one-person project (compare that to Cocos or Unity where one is a bigger Open Source project and the other is commercial). You can influence the author's direction through Patreon or you can directly contribute yourself if you want something done. It essentially needs more contributors if you want it to become comparable to Cocos or Unity.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:04 pm »
Your question has inspired me about the evolution of my game engine.  I've wrote this message at Pascal Game Development explaining it. It will take quite a long time, but I think it would fulfill your needs. ;D
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

greenzyzyzy

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 03:32:44 am »
Your question has inspired me about the evolution of my game engine.  I've wrote this message at Pascal Game Development explaining it. It will take quite a long time, but I think it would fulfill your needs. ;D
ok. thank you .just waiting you good news.

greenzyzyzy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 04:16:09 am »

before that ,may be i have to use castle instead.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 04:52:25 am »
Slightly off topic, but can I have a kind of survey?

I am very interested in how computer games can be created and I am now building my game builder. The progress is very slow, I do it only when I have spare time.

What do you think are the things make a good game builder?

For your information, game builder (or some call it game studio), game engine, game framework, game library are not the same. They meanings are often overlapped but they are different.

Here are a list of things that I think good to have:

- Totally free or open source
- Freemium and affordable
- Can build 3D games
- Have game templates (shot-em up, platform, racing, adventure, RPG, RTS, etc)
- Have ready to use AI
- Good documentation
- Written in Pascal
- Object/Material library
- Cross platform
- Can build Android games
- Build-in level editor
- Build-in graphics editor
- Have support forum
- Drag and drop design
- No coding needed
- Can run on old hardware

Implementing all the features are impossible for me, I'm just a single programmer. So if you can choose what are the most important features to you? And how do you rank them? You can add other new features that are important to you.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 05:12:42 am »
I haven't played games since Space Invaders (machine code) and The Secret of Bastow Manor (BASIC) on the Commodore Vic-20, but it strikes me that a "game builder" cannot be all things to all prospective users.

For example, there is a big difference between a "shoot 'em up" and an "adventure" game. I would stick to picking just one genre which should also help with the light at the end of the tunnel and keep you motivated :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018