Recent

Author Topic: Laz_synapse - several sources and alternatives  (Read 6723 times)

process_1

Laz_synapse - several sources and alternatives
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:12:10 am »
I can see Synapse40.1 is in OPM, howewver there is several more sources available on github and else where. Is it Synapse from just buggy or not maintained anymore or these forks add some features? I can see this version is dated January 2020.

Is there alternatives to it? IIRC, Francois Piere's ICS was fine suite for Delphi, but as I see it is still strictly for Delphi. Problem with synapse is that is jus a lib and not quite possible to make servers for anything.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: Laz_synapse - several sources and alternatives
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:24:34 am »
Well, Synapse is maintained - occasionally - , but very stable. Forks mostly add features.
Note that fpc-web/fcl-net are provided as standard in the fpc distro's and that is a close cousin to synapse (e.g. the ssl code is partly based on synapse)
I myself changed much of my code from synapse to fpc-web/fcl-net. That should not pose problems.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

rvk

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:36:53 am »
Problem with synapse is that is jus a lib and not quite possible to make servers for anything.
What do you mean by you can't make servers with synapse?
Of course you can.

process_1

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:34:58 am »
I myself changed much of my code from synapse to fpc-web/fcl-net. That should not pose problems.

I would look at it, thanks.

What do you mean by you can't make servers with synapse?
Of course you can.

Of course I could try, but with quite a bit of effort. In the past, with Delphi, I avoided synapse because of that (difficulties to create servers) and used Indy, which had many other disadvantages, the main one - it was unstable and freezes frequently. Then used ICS without problems. Now, with Lazarus, this problem raised again, but I have stopped to track changes in synapse long, long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:43:30 am by process_1 »

Jurassic Pork

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:28:38 am »
hello,
I can see Synapse40.1 is in OPM, howewver there is several more sources available on github and else where. Is it Synapse from just buggy or not maintained anymore or these forks add some features? I can see this version is dated January 2020.

Is there alternatives to it?
there is also Lnet library ( present in OPM).
there is an example  ( examples/visual/tcpudp ) TCP/UDP  client/server.

Friendly, J.P
Jurassic computer : Sinclair ZX81 - Zilog Z80A à 3,25 MHz - RAM 1 Ko - ROM 8 Ko

Thaddy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:42:00 am »
AFAIK on Windows 32 , and in mode Delphi, ICS works.... You only have to adjust just one define (ifdef fpc define delphi7). But ICS is not cross-platform.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:48:11 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
Does anyone know if you can login on a ldap server with currently logged on user using synapse/ldapsend (SSO)?
Thnaks.

TRon

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:56:28 pm »
Well, Synapse is maintained - occasionally - , but very stable. Forks mostly add features.
What quatz do you speak there Thaddy ?

Perhaps synapse is maintained somewhere at some other planet that isn't currently in our universe but any mortal living on this planet wouldn't have any notion of any maintenance whatsoever.

iow I agree with process_1.

Same goes for lnet.

rvk

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:01:21 pm »
Perhaps synapse is maintained somewhere at some other planet that isn't currently in our universe but any mortal living on this planet wouldn't have any notion of any maintenance whatsoever.
Latest change on svn from 2018-08-22.
There are tons of Lazarus parts that are less maintained than that %)

TRon

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:26 am »
Latest change on svn from 2018-08-22.
A good thing then that I do not base my information on that indicator alone  :)

There are tons of Lazarus parts that are less maintained than that %)
No idea what that has to do with someone stating things that taste like baloney.

I have code running in production that was written over 30 years ago. The only changes that were made concerned GUI/API because OS updates called for it. The actual code is still the same as it was once written all those years ago. Just saying that I am fully aware that a date of last change doesn't mean a thing.

process_1

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 07:03:22 am »
Well, if we rely on web info only, last version date is 2012-04-24 :
http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/doku.php/start

Latest change on svn from 2018-08-22 is about cosmetic, AFAIK. Few serious chages happened around  2017-06-07 when OpenSSL 1.1.0 is added and some error was fixed.

But in average, few changes in a year can be hardly called "maintenance", since code is still extremely chaotic.

In the past, I did used synapse quite a bit, while I still did not make any server app. But since code was disasterous and many usefull functionlity missed, I  have contacted Gebauer several times with code updates and new usefull methods ICS and Indy had and I used it quite a bit, but he refused to do anything about...

Then I stopped to participate and started to maintained it myself for my own purposes only. Then I swithched to Piere's ICS completely after extensive code inspection and provided many tests - I was extremely satisfied with, including making server apps. I'm talking about time 15 years ago or so.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:26:06 am by process_1 »

Thaddy

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 08:47:26 am »
But in average, few changes in a year can be hardly called "maintenance", since code is still extremely chaotic.
That is complete nonsense. Well written code does not need much maintenance. Which is the case with Synapse. Again, it IS maintained.
But again: my advice is to use fcl-web/fcl-net if you are not satisfied with Synapse.
I examined some of the forks and these do more harm than good.

Synapse is about implementing well established protocols that also hardly if any change. Not about implementing anything else on top of it.
Of course small errors can pop up, and these are fixed. If you can find them - I found one in 2018 - the author will fix it.
I found another one - platform related, so not core - recently and that is pending.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:00:44 am by Thaddy »

process_1

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:16 am »
That is complete nonsense.

What is nonsese?
Did you spend weeks on the synapse lib code as I did, in order to say that? I doubt.

You can event find huge string data concatation reading it from server, as was for POP3 protocol (instead to use streams), which is plain rubbish of the code and mistake only plain novices makes!

Not to mention anything else...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:21:01 am by process_1 »

Thaddy

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 09:23:15 am »
Did you spend weeks on the synapse lib code as I did, in order to say that? I doubt.
I spend over 14 years using synapse - in a professional setting - and contributed both bug reports and examples.
Some of my examples can be found on this forum too. So...?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:26:46 am by Thaddy »

process_1

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 09:26:25 am »
I spend over 14 years using synapse and contributed both bug reports and examples.

If you have spend 14 years and didn't mentioned anything radically is strange in the code, then...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018