Recent

Author Topic: Import any components/packages from Delphi 6 or Delphi 7 Prodessional  (Read 2349 times)

raghavsood999

I need to import or export packages or components such as TServerSocket or TClientSocket or Indy Components from Delphi 6 or Delphi 7-8 Professional or later editions into lazurus IDE.

I dont wish to download from torry.net or github because i am scared of a virus. Some malware are private crypted and may have FUD runtime detections therefore comeout clean even if scan on virustotal.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Not possible. Server/clientsocket is proprietary and never supported, and the indy9 versions are too old.

I suggest you download Indy 10 components, and get on with it.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
I dont wish to download from torry.net or github because i am scared of a virus.

I recommend that you implement good host-based anti-malware protection (for example, Cylance).  If you are connected to the internet, you can be attacked even when you aren't explicitly downloading anything.

Some malware are private crypted and may have FUD runtime detections therefore comeout clean even if scan on virustotal.

Precisely.  You cannot simply rely on one-time static scans of binaries for malware content.  If you are that concerned, you should have a real-time scanning engine running on your hosts as well -- one that does not only rely on "signatures".
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

avra

• Additional info
I dont wish to download from torry.net or github because i am scared of a virus.
Do not use or start executables. Download source, examine and inspect it, compile and use it.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Remy Lebeau

• Lebeau Software
I need to import or export packages or components such as TServerSocket or TClientSocket or Indy Components from Delphi 6 or Delphi 7-8 Professional or later editions into lazurus IDE.

Packages are compiler-specific, and components typically depend on specific compilers' RTLs, too.  Although FreePascal does have a Delphi7-like RTL, it is not the actual Delphi RTL, there is no 1-to-1 correlation for many functions/units/classes, or there are functional differences between them.  So, no, there is no direct way to use Delphi packages as-is in FreePascal/Lazarus, and vice versa.  You need to create and compile new packages for each compiler that you want to use components in, and make sure their source codes are compatible with those compilers.

TClientSocket/TServerSocket are proprietary to Delphi's compiler/RTL, they can't be used in FreePascal/Lazarus.

Indy 10 is already available in Lazarus' OPM.  You don't need to download and install Indy manually, unless you are installing a newer update than what OPM has available.

Source code can't carry viruses.  Only binaries can, and components are rarely distributed in binary form since binaries are platform-specific and even IDE-specific.  It is more flexible for component authors to distribute source code that can be compiled in supported compilers as needed.  And it is extremely rare that a compiler would produce component binaries with viruses in them (only if the compiler itself is infected).

Some malware are private crypted and may have FUD runtime detections therefore comeout clean even if scan on virustotal.

Again, that only applies to binary executables, not to source code.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:09:56 am by Remy Lebeau »
Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software - Owner, Developer
Internet Direct (Indy) - Admin, Developer (Support forum)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer

Source code can't carry viruses.  Only binaries can, and components are rarely distributed in binary form since binaries are platform-specific and even IDE-specific.  It is more flexible for component authors to distribute source code that can be compiled in supported compilers as needed.  And it is extremely rare that a compiler would produce component binaries with viruses in them (only if the compiler itself is infected).

To be fair: most commercial Delphi components are distributed as binary only as more often than not the license with source code is quite a bit more expensive... Though as long as one downloads them from the original publisher there shouldn't be a problem with viruses...

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
I think nowadays most components are with source or subscription. The hobby Delphi programmer is mostly gone.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Not possible. Server/clientsocket is proprietary and never supported, and the indy9 versions are too old.

He refers to Delphi 7 professional and that comes with full sourcecode. If he owns D7 Pro there is no issue.
Except for distribution as source..
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
I think nowadays most components are with source or subscription. The hobby Delphi programmer is mostly gone.

Just one example: the UniDAC components by DevArt. Only the highest tier contains the source code.

The other one I checked (DevExpress) indeed contains source code with all variants.

He refers to Delphi 7 professional and that comes with full sourcecode. If he owns D7 Pro there is no issue.

That would still leave the problem of getting them to work with FPC as there are slight, but important differences in TDataset and related components.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.

And for all of those reasons not supported by FPC/Lazarus, which was my point.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: Import any components/packages from Delphi 6 or Delphi 7 Prodessional
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:18 pm »
But it is possible and works.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Remy Lebeau

• Lebeau Software
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 07:30:24 pm »
To be fair: most commercial Delphi components are distributed as binary only as more often than not the license with source code is quite a bit more expensive...

The key word being commercial.  Commercial authors tend to have more resources available.  They have multiple IDEs installed, maybe even complex build systems.  They can deploy binaries for all the various IDE versions and Update Pack combinations and such.  Things that are affected by binary distributions.  Your every-day hobby/small-team authors may not be able to do all of that.
Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software - Owner, Developer
Internet Direct (Indy) - Admin, Developer (Support forum)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 07:38:56 pm »
But it is possible and works.

And asking for support here is pointless.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018