Forum > Jobs

Looking For Remote Programming Job

<< < (2/5) > >>

lgrfbs:

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---Small business clients rarely asks me what language I will be using. They don't know and they don't care, as long as the software improves their business.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 440bx on September 09, 2020, 02:26:30 pm ---That much is true but small businesses rarely pay top dollar for a custom application.  Larger businesses that do pay top dollar often, if not always, care a great deal about the language used to develop the application.

--- End quote ---

Now I get curious why would a larger company have the interest in requiring a specific programming language?
They will just use the end result in their business, or am I thinking "wrong" now?

440bx:

--- Quote from: lgrfbs on September 09, 2020, 02:35:06 pm ---Now I get curious why would a larger company have the interest in requiring a specific programming language?
They will just use the end result in their business, or am I thinking "wrong" now?

--- End quote ---
The reason is usually because they may contract out the initial development but, they anticipate eventually maintaining the application in-house.   IOW, they don't want to depend on the initial developer to be around every time he/she is needed.

lgrfbs:
It is so obvious, in retrospect, when someone has told you what it really looks like.
Thanks

mateli:

--- Quote from: 440bx on September 09, 2020, 02:26:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---I suggest that we work together to create a FPC/Delphi market.

--- End quote ---
The idea has merit but the Delphi (and consequently FPC) market has been dwindling down for quite a number of years.  It's difficult to see what can reverse that trend.

--- End quote ---
I just outlined what can reverse that trend. We focus on a market where we can be successful.

--- Quote from: 440bx on September 09, 2020, 02:26:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---Small business clients rarely asks me what language I will be using. They don't know and they don't care, as long as the software improves their business.

--- End quote ---
That much is true but small businesses rarely pay top dollar for a custom application.  Larger businesses that do pay top dollar often, if not always, care a great deal about the language used to develop the application.

--- End quote ---

I don't agree at all. Small businesses has a lot of money and there is also a lot more of them than there are big corporations. When you code for big corporations they usually demand to own the code so you cannot sell your application to more than one customer, which seriously limits your ability to profit from your work.

Some corporations may put a lot of money into development. That doesn't mean that the developer will make more money. Especially not if it requires you to spend more time writing it. Sure long term a project can cash in more than a smaller project but then it also blocks you from other projects during that time.

More importantly getting corporations to use Pascal is futile. They're inefficient and have a very slow moving decision process where decisions usually are made way above the head of people that are going to do the actual work.

In my case there are no corporations hiring att all where I live. I'm not going to move away from family and friends to get a job. So small businesses is my only option. That's what I as well as many others have as their only option for local jobs.

440bx:

--- Quote from: mateli on September 10, 2020, 05:44:48 pm ---I just outlined what can reverse that trend. We focus on a market where we can be successful.

--- End quote ---
You provided an outline but, it remains to be proven that what you've outlined can reverse that trend.  There are quite a few markets out there and, Delphi/Pascal has been losing ground in probably all of them.

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---Small businesses has a lot of money and there is also a lot more of them than there are big corporations.

--- End quote ---
Small businesses have much more limited resources than big corporations.

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---When you code for big corporations they usually demand to own the code

--- End quote ---
which is quite reasonable since they paid for the developer's time and talent.

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm --- so you cannot sell your application to more than one customer, which seriously limits your ability to profit from your work.

--- End quote ---
Customized applications made for either, small businesses or big corporations, are rarely general enough to be sold on the open market.

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---Some corporations may put a lot of money into development.

--- End quote ---
More often than not, more money goes into on going maintenance than development.  That's one of the reasons they insist on whatever they commission from an independent programmer to be written in a particular language.

--- Quote from: mateli on September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 pm ---More importantly getting corporations to use Pascal is futile.

--- End quote ---
That's true and one of the reasons for that is that there is no standard version of Pascal available from multiple vendors.  Businesses, large or small, avoid vendor lock-in whenever they can.

I'd love to see Pascal grow in popularity but, the "ingredients" to make that happen are not happening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version