Forum > Jobs

Looking For Remote Programming Job

<< < (5/6) > >>

egsuh:
I hope more web applications are developed in Delphi or Free Pascal. I have not used other languages other than Pascal except a small amount of Basic and node.js, so not in a position to evaluate languages for any purpose including web-applicatoin developments. But I can use the same module both on Windows application and web server application, and I have written my own expression parsing and evaluation module encompassing my own data types --- like integer set including all range of integers (actually they are array of ranges) --- which seems rather difficult to write with other script based interpreger-like languages.  And I wrote the expression parsing (and evaluation) module about 25 years ago, and applied it for many applications. 
Pascal wouldn't have any merits in just showing static documents. But it may be advantageous over other languages in cases where rather complex calculations are required. Much of display control in browsers are done by HTML or CSS.
As I told, I'm not widely experienced with programming. But webserver could be an area where pascal-based languages are applied wider than now.

anyone:

--- Quote from: valdir.marcos on October 15, 2020, 12:34:51 am ---(snipped)

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your thorough answers given in your replies. I really enjoyed reading your comment.

It is a relief to know that coders aged above 40 are still acceptable to develop desktop apps.

darksoft:

--- Quote from: anyone on October 15, 2020, 10:02:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: valdir.marcos on October 15, 2020, 12:34:51 am ---(snipped)

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your thorough answers given in your replies. I really enjoyed reading your comment.

It is a relief to know that coders aged above 40 are still acceptable to develop desktop apps.

--- End quote ---

I'm 55 and coding desktop apps...

MemAvail:
Howdy, folks.

I need a career advice.

My background:

For the last 11+ years I've been working as a Java developer, mostly backend - rests and microservices. For the last 3-4 years management tried to push frontend tasks, which I've learned to hate with passion. Now, at the end of this summer, the company terminated two hundred workers, including myself.
Software development job market around here is not in a good shape right now. Also I've lost a couple of months due to personal reasons and overall situation in my country didn't help either.
I never wanna touch frontend again in my life, and I've been looking at Pascal and Delphi for the last couple of years as a source of inspiration, although I never managed to do anything significant with it while I was busy. Also the Pascal nostalgia is a big factor for me.
During the next couple of months I need to push my job searching efforts to the max. What kind of certification, or other learning format (maybe just straight Leetcode grind?) would you recommend to get prepared for the interviews/toolchains/positions which will help me to stay away from the frontend ? I personally gravitate towards Pascal, Delphi, C#, even Cobol - if I have to master something new at this point. Java around here (somehow) is always just a frontend appendix...

440bx:
You didn't mention in which country you reside, that is quite likely a significant factor in the job market make up.

What caught my attention is that you mention you are willing to program in COBOL, if that is the case and, you don't mind a "big iron" type of environment (usually IBM mainframe) then, while the demand is not as high as for other languages, there is a whole lot less competition (and programmer availability), this means, odds are reasonably good that you can get a well paid job fairly quickly.

If you go that route, one crucial thing to keep in mind is that likely over 99% of the work will be existing code maintenance.  If you don't like maintaining code, COBOL is likely not a good choice. Also, you'll need to have at least some idea of the various databases and indexed file methods that are commonly/accessed in COBOL (among other things... you need to be, at least, somewhat familiar with the environment.)

The job market for Pascal/Delphi is usually small and there are usually many experienced programmers interested in those few jobs, that could be a problem for you, particularly given that, based on what you said, your experience seems to be a bit "dated".

if you don't mind learning .net (if you don't know it already) then C# may be a reasonable possibility.  Can't offer any useful comments in that area because I've never used C# in anything that remotely resembles a professional environment.  That said, since it is currently a popular language, you may want to have a close look at what opportunities it offers.

HTH and best of luck to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version